You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 11)

2 hours ago, TheOtherRoland said:

Hi Matt. AD app is in root folder of Apps. Always was, always will be. It's the app, not me. I have changed nothing and work daily with v 1.55. But as I said, it's an old intel Mac running Lion. Maybe it's a prefs file thing or other. This happened to me before and I then downloaded a later BETA version and it worked. Again, it's not my fault. My computer is clean and running the orig. app as it should.

These are some pretty basic questions, but they are just to get an idea of more.

1. Your main root folder must be the Applications folder, right?

2. I don't know if it would make a difference since I've never done it, but did you create another folder in the Applications folder in which you put the Affinity app(s) into?

3. Are the programs in the right Applications folder? There are two.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

9 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

These are some pretty basic questions, but they are just to get an idea of more.

1. Your main root folder must be the Applications folder, right?

2. I don't know if it would make a difference since I've never done it, but did you create another folder in the Applications folder in which you put the Affinity app(s) into?

3. Are the programs in the right Applications folder? There are two.

Thanks Bri-Toon. However, I've been using Macs since 1993, so I'm quite familiar with configurations, etc. I wrote about my problem because I'm assuming that it's not my problem. No one believes me, apparently. :)

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

(In short, your major gripe is the time that has been spent on removing the bugs from the previous OpenGL version and improving its performance, right? But do you have any reliable data, how many users of Affinity Software are still running the OpenGL framework on their computers? Metal being the future or not – the new version seems unstable anyway –, unless you can answer this question, I fear it does not make sense to question the decisions of the developers team. Just said in parentheses.)

Speaking from my experience, I had a few annoying issues with the previous version of OpenGL, most prominently the completely bugged pixel preview with artboards that made it impossible to design anything like icons. I believe that was a major issue, and I am really happy that this is gone. Just have a look at the rendering of the pixel preview and the artboard bounding box below. Isn’t that a real bug that needs to be ironed out?

See, I don’t want to sound defensive all the time, but I simply cannot imagine that the project manager of the Affinity suite, whoever is in charge of this, would allow the developers to spent precious time and precious money for something that is obviously nonsensical.

OpenGL.png.94075d11e090d387a08823acbe859669.png

I am pretty sure, useless discussions like this are the exact reason, why many companies don't publicly share any internal information and even keep their release notes mostly short and non-descriptive. Please stop arguing about if something is, in your opinion necessary or not, and focus on testing the software and reporting bugs and kinks in this thread. At least open an extra thread for this kind of things, to not clutter this one.

Without knowing any details, I am sure, there is a good reason to spent some time on fixing whatever Open GL is -- maybe it's for something else in the pipeline, maybe it's because of the Windows version and maybe it's because the programmers simply want to deliver a software where every single part works.

All I read from Matts post is "Instead of giving you any marketing bullshit, I'm being honest and telling you, that I took two weeks of mine time and spend it fixing something that didn't work properly" -- I highly appreciate this open communication and am happy to feel a bit involved into the development and getting actual answers and feedback from people who work on the software I use to earn money with. Haven't seen this kind of openness anywhere else, not even as alpha tester and advisory board member for another software package that I participated in.

9 hours ago, TheOtherRoland said:

No one believes me, apparently. :)

It's not that we don't believe you since it may not be a mistake on your end. It is just good to check for all possibilities. I hope the problem gets fixed.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

TheOtherRoland: I just booted my old installation of OS X Lion from an external disk, downloaded the new Beta, and launched it successfully. So it doesn’t seem to be a Lion issue either. Have you ever considered removing and reinstalling the *App Store* version (1.5.5)? Maybe your system will need a little nudge to understand that you are a Serif customer? :/

18 hours ago, TheOtherRoland said:

Thanks Bri-Toon. However, I've been using Macs since 1993, so I'm quite familiar with configurations, etc. I wrote about my problem because I'm assuming that it's not my problem. No one believes me, apparently. :)

rusty - Macintosh: macOS Big Sur 11.1. Memory 16 GB

• Staff

Seriously, MBd, I'm being honest with people about what I'm doing. We could cut all this down and I just post new download locations whenever I'm ready, but some people do value the conversation and openness. You don't see that I'm addressing priorities in the same order you'd like to see them, I get that, but it doesn't mean the priorities are wrong here - just that they don't align with yours at present. I'm the Project Manager for Designer and when I spoke to TonyB (Head of Serif Labs) we agreed on our priorities, as did our MD. You wouldn't know any of this if we were Adobe - it'd be locked away from you. Would it make you happier or more frustrated?

• Staff
29 minutes ago, MBd said:

Thus, the answer is „it would make no difference“

Cheers 

If you mean 'this discussion where you tell me I've wasted my time by not doing the thing you'd have done if you were me' would 'make no difference' then... I don't think it would if the tables were reversed either, so...

Again, the discussion would also make no difference to most software companies - either because they wouldn't have entertained telling you what they'd been up to in the first place, nor would they listen to your argument, nor would they respond to it... so you've not really lost anything... ;)

At the end of the day, myself and the team know what tasks we have left and we prioritise based both on things we can discuss here, and also on things we can't discuss here - so you can't be expected to know everything and hence our priorities may seem 'whacked' to you, for which I apologise...

55 minutes ago, MBd said:

Thus, the answer is „it would make no difference“

@MattP: I suppose you could interpret that as “it doesn’t make a difference what you say or do (or don’t say and don’t do), he would complain, anyway”. Or, to compare it with Adobe: the forums are always full of complaints and rants, no matter what background info they reveal or hide.

8 minutes ago, MBd said:

Is there some more wisdom you might want to share with us?

Is there some more wisdom you might want to share with us? :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have zero wisdom to share...

Despite some criticism I have freely given as regards capabilities and some lingering wonderment concerning why bleed guides still aren't present after all this time (seems like low-hanging fruit from my chair), what I do have is the utmost respect for the developers and their bosses who take the time to respond on the forum.

There aren't too many companies that do this. Those that do may have different communication styles. But the common thread is that they want the best for their customers, the long-view of the product and their respective companies.

I'm guilty of pushing certain Serif personnel's buttons at times. And we've hit a couple big bumps in the road. But at the end of the day, I wholly respect them whether I understand the why/what of when/ how things are done or not. After all, they do want a product they are proud of.

Mike

8 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

It's not that we don't believe you since it may not be a mistake on your end. It is just good to check for all possibilities. I hope the problem gets fixed.

I know. It's just that I did check all possibilities, afaik, before bothering to post. I guess people can't read my mind and realize that I have done my homework. :)

5 hours ago, A_B_C said:

TheOtherRoland: I just booted my old installation of OS X Lion from an external disk, downloaded the new Beta, and launched it successfully. So it doesn’t seem to be a Lion issue either. Have you ever considered removing and reinstalling the *App Store* version (1.5.5)? Maybe your system will need a little nudge to understand that you are a Serif customer? :/

I was trying to avoid this, but I might give it a try. Whatever the issue, it's nothing obvious from my perspective.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.