You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flat Design, should I keep outline?

Hi,

I'm trying to draw a robot looking sad in a sad environment. I chose some grey with blue tint to make it more sad, but I don't know if I should keep the black outlines around the shapes. I tried, but it was harder to see shapes without outlines. Do you have any solutions or idea to improve my sad robot? Do you think I should had flat shadow somewhere or change some colors?

It's the first time I'm trying to draw something... It's for a project at school and a contest at the same time.

Thank you

snip_20171011143851.png

This is a basic art design issue. Your drawing is fine. But the outlines are still necessary because the color fills don't have enough contrast. Without breaking everything down, I'd have to say most everything isclose too the same level of luminosity, except the outlines, which are 0. Classically, there must be at least three levels to do away with lines. Darkest, approaching 0, middle, 50, and lightest, approaching100. Given your subject, sadness, shift everything down, lightest maybe 75. I'd get rid of the back ground, or really ghost it a lot, so that the figure of the 'bot on the bench is more isolated. I'd bump the saturation on the yellows, but shift a bit towards orange

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thank you for the tips. Will post another image when it will be done. I will play with the contrast and colors to make them more light/darker to be able to remove outlines.

Also, since it's a poster contest, it need more impact. I don't know what position the bots should have on it.

My goal is to represent what could happens in our world if we have too much robots and AI working at our jobs. They will be so many that there will be some "homeless" bots. It's a fiction, but that's my goal for the poster.

EDIT: Got something here.

snip_20171011143851.png

Coming right along. You will still need some lines, for instance those showing the arm and leg segments. In traditional cartooning, those most likely would have been made w a series of overlapping ovals, with the indentations emphasizing the thew joints.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Your robot does not look sad to me.  A single tear drop can convey sadness.

Plus is he just resting his hat or is he meant to begging for food (or oil) ?

The last, yellow, robot you posted is clearly a happy robot, try to get your robot to portray his sadness more

Like this one does (from the Internet)

sadrobot.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 minutes ago, Nic727 said:

Does he looks sad now?

He's begging for money to get oil or simply oil.

snip_20171011143851.png

Yes the tear drop definitely conveys sadness

But he is still too pristine for me.... if he is meant to be homeless, he should look like the equivalent of how a dishevelled human would look

If you want to win the poster contest, find pictures of how a sad, out of work, begging human looks and convey them in your robot

There is too much ambiguity in your poster at the moment to know what it is about - if you had not already told us

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Yes the tear drop definitely conveys sadness

But he is still too pristine for me.... if he is meant to be homeless, he should look like the equivalent of how a dishevelled human would look

If you want to win the poster contest, find pictures of how a sad, out of work, begging human looks and convey them in your robot

There is too much ambiguity in your poster at the moment to know what it is about - if you had not already told us

I know what you mean, but my robot can't move his head very much. He has a metallic body. I could add the hat on his leg, but after that, the left side of the poster will be empty. Also don't forget that I have a 3 words text on top, so maybe it can reveal more than just the image itself.

2 minutes ago, Nic727 said:

I could add the hat on his leg, but after that, the left side of the poster will be empty.

A couple of baby robots looking hungry would fill the space nicely and add to his humanity

5 minutes ago, Nic727 said:

Also don't forget that I have a 3 words text on top, so maybe it can reveal more than just the image itself.

How can we forget something you have not told us previously?

Choose those 3 words wisely

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

A couple of baby robots looking hungry would fill the space nicely and add to his humanity

How can we forget something you have not told us previously?

Choose those 3 words wisely

Ok... I will show you my final poster very soon.

When you walk down the street and see a poster on a wall, there is no one standing next to the poster who will explain to you what the poster is about.  In this respect the poster must be able to convey your message on it's own, without any additional input or ambiguity.

You choice of the 3 words is excellent, to the extent that if I was now seeing your final poster for the first time my immediate thought of what it represented would be...

"A sad, out of work robot"

So, in this respect you have nailed that part of it, good luck in the contest and let us know how it goes.