Domvel

Lagging and glitches

Hi there.

I have just bought the affinity designer and photo. 

And unfortunately I see that the program is extremely slow, lagging and glitchy.

What should I do? I cannot work with this until the performance is so terrible. -.-

PC Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1703)
GeForce GTX 745 (With the latest drivers: 06.10.2017, version: 23.21.13.8792)
Intel Core i3-6100 3.70 GHz
16 GB RAM

Affinity Designer Version 1.5.3.69

screen.gif

For more system informations, take a look to the dx diag file.

DxDiag.txt

I think no one wants to hear the truth. 

Affinity Designer and Photo were a good idea. But unfortunately it failed in performance.

I tried this software on different computes. And the performance really sucks on each one.

Inkscape and Gimp are much better in these things. 

Why did I buy Designer and Photo? Because look modern and has features which I missing in free software.

Like the curve-features for polygon. Round corners also if they combined by boolean function. That's pretty cool.

Anyway, you (Serif) have to work hard on this software to improve the performance. Otherwise the software is a money and time wasting thing. 

Maybe you think: The business is doing well with these software. But I think it's because marketing and the look of this software. Also the features.

But NOT the peformance. THIS is the thing you have to work on it.

Hi guys. I just wanted to chime in, having the same kind of performance trouble on two very powerful workstations (min specs: i7, 3,5 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3 2133 Mhz, NVME Drive for the program and swap, GeForce 970).
I have observed that at the times of worst lagging and stutter Affinity Photo takes almost all the free physical memory (so on the more powerful machine 22 GB) while working on a 24Mpix 16 bit raw file. It is surely big, but not that big.

I do have a feeling that it was better while i was trial using the program (also 1.5) some 4 months ago. Now I'm not sure whether that has to do with some recent windows 10 updates, different camera (jumped from Canon 6D L-raw to 5D mk IV M-raw, so file size is more or less the same), or just pure luck (or even faded memory thing).

I sure can't wait to test a stable 1.6 release.

Best regards

13 hours ago, Scheep said:

Hi guys. I just wanted to chime in, having the same kind of performance trouble on two very powerful workstations (min specs: i7, 3,5 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3 2133 Mhz, NVME Drive for the program and swap, GeForce 970).
I have observed that at the times of worst lagging and stutter Affinity Photo takes almost all the free physical memory (so on the more powerful machine 22 GB) while working on a 24Mpix 16 bit raw file. It is surely big, but not that big.

I do have a feeling that it was better while i was trial using the program (also 1.5) some 4 months ago. Now I'm not sure whether that has to do with some recent windows 10 updates, different camera (jumped from Canon 6D L-raw to 5D mk IV M-raw, so file size is more or less the same), or just pure luck (or even faded memory thing).

I sure can't wait to test a stable 1.6 release.

Best regards

Hi Scheep, after I had this problem, I tried the 1.6 beta. Which (as I said) is much better. Now this morning (after a Windows update) it seems that my AD 1.5 is working fine again and not slow. I'm also using Windows 10. No idea what the change with Windows 10 was, but working much better now :)

@Mark Ingram No document is loaded. I just open the designer and creates a new empty document. e.g. profile: web with size: 480x272. 

It's difficult to show performance issues in a video. You have to control the input by your self. To recognize the lags. 

A example for scrolling. I press CTRL + Mouse Wheel. And the view is scrolling with a huge delay. 

And panning (move view with middle mouse button) has also lags. Same problem with object to draw. The whole program is lagging.

It is impossible to work with this program on this computer (specs posted on topic post.) 

The Designer Beta on Windows and Photo Beta on Windows forums always have pinned threads at the top, with download links for the latest beta releases.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

3 hours ago, Domvel said:

@Mark Ingram No document is loaded. I just open the designer and creates a new empty document. e.g. profile: web with size: 480x272. 

It's difficult to show performance issues in a video. You have to control the input by your self. To recognize the lags. 

A example for scrolling. I press CTRL + Mouse Wheel. And the view is scrolling with a huge delay. 

And panning (move view with middle mouse button) has also lags. Same problem with object to draw. The whole program is lagging.

It is impossible to work with this program on this computer (specs posted on topic post.) 

What was the grid in the original video?

@Mark Ingram Just created a visible grid on a empty document. :D Because it's a visible thing to demonstrate in a video. But anyway. It does not matter if the document is empty or with content. 

In any cases the program extremely lags. I will try the beta now. 

Ok I have now the beta 1.6.0.85 of designer. And the issue is fixed for me. 

The performance is much better. What did you do? Now the program is usable. :)

Please do the same with Affinity Photo!