ttibsen

Using the Smart Selection Brush Tool

So I am trying to select just the baby's head in this photo using the Smart Selection brush tool.

Instead of giving me roughly the shape of her head in one line - I am getting these 2 concentric circles which are useless. Why aren't I getting just a single line circle?

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 6.49.21 PM.png

ttibsen,

At the moment the selected area is between the two circles you will need to make sure the selection option is set to add ans snap to edges is enabled it my also be worth increasing the tolerance slightly and move the selection brush over the centre of the face and press to select the remaining area of the face.

It looks to me as though you’ve chosen the Outline Selection Tool, not the Smart Selection Brush Tool. Hold down the ‘?’ in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen to see tooltips for all of the tools in the current Persona.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

No - I am using the Smart Selection brush tool no question about that but I do have a few more questions though.

Snap to Edges button - dark and light, I can't figure out which one is what - Off or On - they should have made the contrast between the 2 modes much more evident.

Increasing the tolerance slightly? I don't even see this option when using the smart selection brush tool - the only options at the bottom of the page in this mode are - add/subtract,  width, snap to edges,  all layers - nothing with tolerance

<< press to select the remaining area of the face. >> meaning? - press hard on the pencil or with a finger?

When the Snap to edges is turned on it will be light grey with a thin white line on the edge, the Smart Selection brush does not have the tolerance so you will need to increase the brush width and check that the mode is set to Add and then with the Pencil or a finger gently swipe in the unselected area and this will then be included in the selection.

In the tutorial the smart selection brush snaps to subject. On my IPad it does not! You get two lines that move all over the picture. It is frustrating 

25 minutes ago, Raimondo said:

In the tutorial the smart selection brush snaps to subject. On my IPad it does not! You get two lines that move all over the picture.

No such problem here! do you have the correct layer selected in the Layers studio? Have you tried reducing the brush width?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)