You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select raw or jpg

I normally shoot raw + jpg on my cameras, and import to the iPad with the camera connection kit.  When I import from photos into Affinity, only the raw is selected.  I would like to be able to either bring in both or have some means to select, is such possible with the present app?  There are times when importing the jpg is preferable, for a quick edit and send out.

Richard Southworth

• Staff

Hi rasworth,

Welcome to the forums.

The Photos app is only importing the RAW files from your memory card and then displays the embedded JPEG for previewing but Affinity will only detect the RAW. You'll need to use another app that can import both RAW and JPEG from your memory card to your iPad as separate files before opening with our app. Another option would be after using Photos to import the RAW is to save the file back to the iPad or cloud service, this will save a JPEG version of the file that you can then import into Affinity for editing.

That's not correct, when using the camera connection kit on an iPad both the raw and jpg are brought into photos.  I'm well aware of the embedded jpeg in a raw, and if I didn't also shoot the jpeg you would be correct.  There are other apps that show the dual files in Photos, such as Photosync, which is my primary means of transferring image files off of the iPad onto my pc.

And there are other apps, such as FSN Pro, that will selectively process either the raw or jpg, so again my question is how does one pick the jpg (not embedded) for processing in Affinity?

Richard Southworth

And in case you're still a disbeliever, I have attached a file manager screen shot of the iPad image contents.  I set my camera so that the jpg is half the linear resolution of the raw, making it about the right size for displaying on the iPad.  Photos will show the separate jpg if it exists rather than the embedded version.

Richard Southworth

iPad files.jpg

• Staff

I've just repeated the process of using the camera connection kit with an SD card that contains both JPEG and RAW (NEF's) versions of the photo. Once plugged in Photos opens to import and only displays a single image for each photo, after importing Photos only shows a single image for the photo and doesn't identify the format. Once in Affinity Photo and you select to Import from Photos this will then identify RAW images by displaying a logo on the preview thumbnail.

Other apps may display both JPEG and RAW images as stored in memory, however Affinity is designed to import from the built in Photos app or a cloud service. If the other apps have options to export/save the JPEG back to Photos you could then open them in Affinity.

I've done this process using iOS11, if the Photos app on your iPad is displaying both JPEG and RAW, please take a screenshot, so I can see and confirm the options in Settings > Photos.

I never said the Photos app displays both the raw and jpg, only that both are present in the iPad storage.  There are other apps, including Lightroom and FSN Pro and Photosync, that allow one to selectively bring either the raw or the jpg into the app.  The images are all in the Photos sandbox, therefore the api must allow either to be extracted, as evidenced by the other apps.

My workaround for Affinity is to view the image in Photosync, which picks the jpg for view mode, and "export" it to Affinity.  However, I believe to be truly full functioned, Affinity should allow either to be imported, depending upon the intent of the user.

I've attached a screenshot of Photosync on the iPad, showing how it represents the Photos storage, which I find very useful.

Richard Southworth

IMG_0402.PNG

And while I'm complaining, Affinity Photo needs to add a Moments type of display, in order to easily find specific images to import.  I may have several hundred images in the camera roll, would be much more convenient to split by date, per Moments.

Richard Southworth