You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any word on at least a release date for the Affinity Publisher Beta? I think I can safely speak for many designers out there that we would literally throw money at you the moment you released Publisher until you were smothered in currency. Even saying "Spring 2017" would be infinitely better than "sometime in 2017." That's like saying that we'll be on Mars "sometime in the 21st century" or we'll have flying cars "in the near future." You gotta throw us a bone here.

Yes. Yes it does.

Seriously, though. While I do appreciate the fact that Affinity values product over timeline, it goes without saying that even if Publisher did half of what InDesign does now, I would still buy it just to have an alternative to Adobe's dollar-intensive kitchen-sink-ware. If you're a corporation or large agency, the licensing fees are a drop in the can. But, for a small shop or freelancer, it's teeth grinding to pay that much when you're in a slow month. So, perfect is always the goal, but gets the job done and released is mo' better.

Take my money!

Another question: Do you sell t-shirts?

4 minutes ago, Michail said:

If it is the right 50 percent, I am satisfied for the time being.

That's the rub, isn't it? Serif has type down great, so I suspect APub will also. But the remainder of what is or isn't included (for possibly years) will likely satisfy some and dissatisfy others.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:46 PM, MikeW said:

The initial release isn't gonna approach half of what ID can do. I'll be surprised if version 2 does half.

I'm surprised if there is a release at all. After all we got just another delay after being delayed *3 years* already...

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

16 minutes ago, Tia Lapis said:

I'm surprised if there is a release at all. After all we got just another delay after being delayed *3 years* already...

Ah, I have no doubt it will be released. The When is iffy, perhaps. There are other options and I cannot understand why anyone would be "waiting" for its release without Serif actually releasing a beta.

There are no other realistic options on Macs, expensive as hell InDesign and Xpress and some shitty tools like iStudio that can't do anything remotely worthwhile.

Mac mini M1 / Ryzen 5600H & RTX3050 mobile / iPad Pro 1st - all with latest non beta release of Affinity

QuarkXPress is fairly reasonable, especially with the current deals and cross-grades (which I think expires at the end of the month). Viva Designer is another option.

If one is making money with a layout application, those two options are reasonably priced. If one is working for a non-profit, at least with Q, the price is even less. If one cannot make back the cost--whether it is for Q/Viva or ID--then there are reasons to reconsider what one is doing or what is being charged to clients. I pay more for updates for any given XTension than I do for Q and plug-ins for ID, and the combined total brings me pause. Pause just before I press the Buy button for them.

I get that no one likes to spend money. I don't. People even complain about Serif's application costs at times. Should all this stuff be free?

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

QuarkXPress is fairly reasonable, especially with the current deals and cross-grades (which I think expires at the end of the month)

Details of the current offer can be found in my post here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

QuarkXPress is fairly reasonable, especially with the current deals and cross-grades (which I think expires at the end of the month). Viva Designer is another option.

If one is making money with a layout application, those two options are reasonably priced. If one is working for a non-profit, at least with Q, the price is even less. If one cannot make back the cost--whether it is for Q/Viva or ID--then there are reasons to reconsider what one is doing or what is being charged to clients. I pay more for updates for any given XTension than I do for Q and plug-ins for ID, and the combined total brings me pause. Pause just before I press the Buy button for them.

I get that no one likes to spend money. I don't. People even complain about Serif's application costs at times. Should all this stuff be free?

Not everyone is doing layout to earn money. And as a hobbyist The price for the big Layout programs is out of question.

Which is one reason I used a qualified if.

Seems like perhaps the free personal use Viva Designer may work for you. I have the paid-for so-called Professional version and don't really know what the differences are. But they do have a comparison chart.

As well, I suppose their is always Scribus. 

Either may be better than what you have. I use Windows so have no other ideas what there is for a Mac. Though there have been mention of others here on the forum. 

Yeah SwiftPublisher and iStudio - Both useless junk. Scribus sounds good on the feature list, the Mac version has the same problems as all gtk based software. It feels like torture on the Mac (it's a long standing problem of gtk). Viva Free hasn't even a spell checker.

Will have to continue hacking around with Pages till Serif finally reaches a release.

• 2 months later...

You can try iCalamus for Mac.

https://www.icalamus.net/

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)