You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm trying to make a CD label with the text following the round shape of the CD in Affinity Photo. Looking at the various posts I can't find any way to do what has been a feature in most photo editors for the last 20 years. I'm a novice with Photo so I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong terminology to search for this or will I have to do it in Word Art and copy it in, surely not

Cheers

5 hours ago, Will Cain said:

Cheers thanks for the response

That's a bit  worrying. How many other basic things can't it do. Only 3 days to find out

What is basic about a photographic editor creating CDs?

Affinity Photo is a modern, sophisticated bitmap editor, capable or doing all sorts of brilliant photographic editing, creation and website capable stuff, like progressive JPEGs, pixel alignment  and so on. Why bother with CDs?

CDs are (almost) never used any more. In fact plenty of new laptops don't include them. Things move on. If you must, buy a more general purpose design program, like Designer. It creates CDs, edits photos, creates website stuff, etc, etc.

p.s. Photo doesn't have a floppy disc template either ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff

Hi Will Cain,

Affinity Photo is a RAW converter/developer and photo editor. We are trying to keep our apps as focused as possible. For design projects like the one you are working on Affinity Designer would be more adequate. It's true that other apps also offer this functionality but Affinity Photo is part of a suite of apps where one of them already covers/offers project/graphic design tools (non-text heavy projects).

You're absolutely right, of course, I just used the CD example to ensure that what I was trying to do was clear i.e write text in an arc.

Unbelievable as it seems there are people new to Photo who think something like Convert to Curves might  actually do that. Thus far I haven't worked out what it does.However I appreciate my lack of knowledge is the problem, for instance I still think a raster is a chap with dreadlocks who likes Reggae and a vector is a 1950's push bike. Not to worry a few more years watching YOUTUBE  videos should see me alright.

Thanks for the response.

1 hour ago, Will Cain said:

Convert to Curves might  actually do ... Thus far I haven't worked out what it does

Convert to curves makes the text into outlines so that you can edit the individual shapes

curve.png.a2fb6d16295e6827461d1377218a79fd.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, Will Cain said:

Unbelievable as it seems there are people new to Photo who think something like Convert to Curves might  actually do that.

At least you can rasterize your text and use a filter to bend the text into a circular shape:

Cheers

P.

Rect2Polar.png

Well, that's exactly what I want to do. So my faith that this product would be able to do it was not misplaced.

That probably means that there are now two people who know how to do it.

Just as a matter of interest what does rasterise actually mean?

Thanks again

5 minutes ago, Will Cain said:

Just as a matter of interest what does rasterise actually mean?

We´re are talking mainly about vector-graphics (Affinity-Designer) or raster/bitmap-images (Affinity Photo).

Raster-rising means in essence to convert vector data into an bitmap - a plane-of-pixels - so to speak.

Both apps can do this. For text it means it will not longer be editable e.g.

Cheers

P.

Well, that's exactly what I want to do. So my faith that this product would be able to do it was not misplaced.

Honestly, it was misplaced. Don’t use the method suggested by PixelPest. It will only distort the glyph shapes of your text, which is highly undesirable and contrary to the principles of good typography. 

(Sorry, PixelPest, for this addition … :))

Talking about Affinity Photo: It depends on how you treat your text.

The main difference is the filter in AD will bent the text while In Affinity Designer it will be threaded letters and text will remain editable:

Look at the upper beam of the letter "T":

Glad you still love me. ;)

Cheers

P.

PolarfilteredText.png

Well, I wouldn’t dare to send both of your examples to the type designer who had created the font … ;)

But seriously, distortion will always happen when you apply the Rectangular-to-Polar filter. Just have a look at the filter category (it says “Distort”). I only meant to say that it isn’t recommended to distort glyph shapes in typesetting. You must imagine that the type designer has spent months, if not years, to balance his letterforms perfectly, and we, as typesetters, shouldn’t lightly spoil all that hard work … well, I should say, if it is not for a higher purpose, that means, if it makes sense in the context of a design approach. So, sure, you can use the mentioned filter, but I think it shouldn’t be thought of as an exact workaround for the text-on-a-path feature.

My example, Will, was made in Affinity Designer and opened in Affinity Photo. So if you have both applications, you can create text on a path in Designer and edit this text in Photo afterwards. Photo has the ability to interpret and edit any instance of text on a path, but the necessary toolset for creating such an instance is not exposed to the user. :)

34 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Well, I wouldn’t dare to send both of your examples to the type designer who had created the font … ;)

Do you mean that sending both would be too daring, but sending only one would be manageable? :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

Don’t use the method suggested by PixelPest. It will only distort the glyph shapes of your text, which is highly undesirable and contrary to the principles of good typography. 

You could say the same thing about rasterizing text, converting text to curves to alter glyph shapes, applying perspective or warp effects, or even altering kerning, baselines, etc., all of which could be considered distortions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

41 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

You always make me laugh, Alfred … :D

I do my best, Alex! ^_^

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

maybe the attached file will help, just copy and paste the text.

and you have text on a path in photo

textonapath.afphoto

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

2 hours ago, Will Cain said:

Well that seems to solve all my problems, perhaps you should sell it to the Developers, remember to charge them in pounds at the same number as dollars

Anyone who owns Affinity Designer can create text on a path. But because the file format is the same for both apps, & the .afphoto & .afdesign extensions only determine the default app that opens when you double-click the file, even if @dutchshader had saved the file with the .afdesign extension, anyone could still open it in Affinity Photo.

The only difference is you can't create text on a path in Affinity Photo so if you don't own Affinity Designer, nothing prevents you from making do with copying & pasting from files like that one except the inconvenience & inefficient workflow that involves.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 12-10-2017 at 8:21 AM, dutchshader said:

maybe the attached file will help, just copy and paste the text.

and you have text on a path in photo

textonapath.afphoto

Very useful, thank you 

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB