You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Emskverd,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, that's the correct shortcut keys but you have to press and hold both the ⌥ (option/alt) key and the right mouse button (keep the right-mouse button pressed as well) then while doing it left-click/drag horizontally to set brush size and vertically to set the brush hardness.

25 minutes ago, Emskverd said:

... Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, you also have to use the left click button as well as the right click button

Just practice getting the order right or grow some more fingers

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

I keep trying to use the shortcut to change the Pixel brush size on Windows (10) with a Wacom (Intuos 5) tablet and pen on Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 but can't make it work...

I defined one of the pen button to be the right clic. And try to use the Alt-Right-Click+Click (to mimic Alt-LMB-RMB) but I keep activating the Color Picker... My sanity would gladly appreciate any help...

EDIT with solution:

The trick was to NOT define a Right Click on the Pen button but to assign the button with a keyboard modifier (Right Click modifier)!
By setting the button to Keyboard/Modificator/Right Click it WORKS!
I put a picture. It's in french but the idea is there.

Once done the shortcut works.
Can't stop finding this hack unnecessary, dumb, and frustrating...

Hope that helps :)

Julien

Capture d'écran 2018-12-27 14.22.47.png

Edited by juliencollee
Provided solution

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/28/2018 at 5:17 AM, juliencollee said:

Hi guys

I keep trying to use the shortcut to change the Pixel brush size on Windows (10) with a Wacom (Intuos 5) tablet and pen on Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 but can't make it work...

I defined one of the pen button to be the right clic. And try to use the Alt-Right-Click+Click (to mimic Alt-LMB-RMB) but I keep activating the Color Picker... My sanity would gladly appreciate any help...

EDIT with solution:

The trick was to NOT define a Right Click on the Pen button but to assign the button with a keyboard modifier (Right Click modifier)!
By setting the button to Keyboard/Modificator/Right Click it WORKS!
I put a picture. It's in french but the idea is there.

Once done the shortcut works.
Can't stop finding this hack unnecessary, dumb, and frustrating...

Hope that helps :)

Julien

Capture d'écran 2018-12-27 14.22.47.png

BRILLIANT U MAKE MY DAY !!! 😀😀😀

On 10/10/2017 at 2:49 PM, Callum said:

Hi Emskverd :)

You should be able to use the [ and ] keys to change your brush size.

Thanks

C

Hello. After several attempts I realized that on windows we have to use Alt key + both mouse buttons simultaneously. To increase / decrease the brush size, we move the mouse sideways. To increase / decrease the hardness we move the mouse up or down.
It works well for me (finally!)
I hope it will be useful for everyone. Stay safe.

• 1 month later...

"Hello. After several attempts I realized that on windows we have to use Alt key + both mouse buttons simultaneously. To increase / decrease the brush size, we move the mouse sideways. To increase / decrease the hardness we move the mouse up or down.
It works well for me (finally!)"

Hello this is working well but for me it's a loss of productivity when I'm working with my pen. 
It's as fast to do as cliking on the brush size bar and modifying the size manually. Is there any way to increase/decrease the brush size like in Photoshop ? 
You know, when you press alt + right click, when you drag the pen it increase/decrease the size of the brush. 

Thanks ! 

On 4/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, miguelcoelho said:

Hello. After several attempts I realized that on windows we have to use Alt key + both mouse buttons simultaneously. To increase / decrease the brush size, we move the mouse sideways. To increase / decrease the hardness we move the mouse up or down.

Miguelcoelho, thanks a lot, after 3 years of disappointment, I am happy someone found the solution. No mention of that in the help section or preferences.

Also Manual and Workbook should be corrected

• 3 months later...
On 4/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, miguelcoelho said:

On 5/21/2020 at 12:01 PM, salvemmi said:

Miguelcoelho, thanks a lot, after 3 years of disappointment, I am happy someone found the solution. No mention of that in the help section or preferences.

Also Manual and Workbook should be corrected

Hello, I am using the latest version 1.8.5.703 and having troubles using the mentioned key-mouse-combination.
When pressing ALT + left mouse button + right mouse button and moving the mouse all I get is a color picker. The same happens when just pressing ALT + left mouse button and moving the mouse.
It simply doesn't matter if I press the right mouse button too. All I get is the color picker.

Edited by zazomazzo
Removed attached image, because it was unnecessary and oversized anyway.

On windows, this usually works: Try to click/press (and hold the keys!) in the following order: [ALT]+[CTRL] -> [right mouse button] -> [left mouse button]. As long as you keep all those keys pressed, you can move the mouse left and right for changing the size of your brush, whilst moving vertically edits the brush's hardness.

And, as @carl123 already suggested, it might be very, very useful if you'd grow yourself some more fingers for this stupidly difficult procedure. But I'm not complaining as it could have been worse (i. e. additionally drawing circles on a touchpad with the nose in order to activate the "shortcut" mentioned above).

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

35 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

On windows, this usually works: Try to click/press (and hold the keys!) in the following order: [ALT]+[CTRL] -> [right mouse button] -> [left mouse button]. As long as you keep all those keys pressed, you can move the mouse left and right for changing the size of your brush, whilst moving vertically edits the brush's hardness.

Thank you so very much, that did the trick! You are the first one that mentioned the CTRL key.
And yeah, that combination is really ridiculous. Maybe they will change it one day or make it freely configurable within the settings. :)

3 hours ago, Andy05 said:

You don't need to hold both mouse buttons if you're running a current Affinity release.

Ctrl+Alt+LeftMouse then drag to change the current attributes that are shown.

Or

Ctrl+Alt+LeftMouse click to change to a different set of brush attributes, then Ctrl+Alt+LeftMouse Drag to change the new set of attributes.

(On Mac, use Cmd rather than Ctrl.) Wrong. See below.

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Painting/painting.html (See the Modifier Keys section)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You don't need to hold both mouse buttons if you're running a current Affinity release.

Ctrl+Alt+LeftMouse then drag to change the current attributes that are shown.

Thank you for clarification. And yes, I tested it right away and it works exactly as you described it.
So over the last versions they changed it from ALT+LMB+RMB (old) to CTRL+ALT+LMB (new) it seems.

(I am not using it on a regular basis, more like on demand. So I don't recognize every change right away)

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

(On Mac, use Cmd rather than Ctrl.)

Generally speaking, for keyboard shortcuts, yes. But not for these brush action modifiers. On Mac, the shortcuts are also control-alt-click and then drag left-right to modify width, or drag up-down to modify hardness. Just to add to the fun, on UK (and possibly other European keyboards) the "alt" keys are labelled option.*

*EDIT: except when they're labelled alt :42_confused:

EDIT 2 (and slightly more serious): on Mac, with the brush tool selected, holding down ctrl-alt (or ctrl-option) and repeatedly clicking cycles through three options:

Width-Hardness

Shape-Spacing

Rotation

Not sure if this works on PC?

Edited by h_d
Amendments and annotations

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

2 hours ago, h_d said:

EDIT 2 (and slightly more serious): on Mac, with the brush tool selected, holding down ctrl-alt (or ctrl-option) and repeatedly clicking cycles through three options:

Width-Hardness

Shape-Spacing

Rotation

Yes, that's the way it's supposed to work, and it works the same on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, h_d said:

Just to add to the fun, on UK (and possibly other European keyboards) the "alt" keys are labelled option.*

FWIW, on current U.S. Apple keyboards like this Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad model I have, & the latest Magic Keyboard one, the alt key is also labeled "option." They also have wider Escape keys labeled "esc" & all the top row function keys are the same height as the regular keys.

Not particularly magical but an improvement on the older ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...

Never worked for me on a German Keyboard Layout on Win10.

Now I found a solution:
Left mouse Button and the "alt gr" key works. Regular "alt" key doesnt work. Wich is a bummer, since I have my left hand on the keyboard and can only use the alt on the right hand side of the keyboard. Its something at least.