rndm

How to make brush stokes for shapes pass their endpoints in Designer

I'm trying to create a hand drawn circled effect...like if you see something you like on paper and want to highlight it. this works great if you use a brush to outline an ellipse but the problem is I'd like the ends to touch...better yet if they could cross paths. How can I create this?

Also, for when I want to leave a gap, how can I change the point when the brush starts and ends? e.g if I want the gap to be on the bottom or the left?

2017-10-10 08_36_11-Affinity Designer.png

2017-10-10 08_38_20-Affinity Designer.png

You could convert the ellipse to curves & break the curve at its red start/end node. With the stroke cap set to round or square the ends will touch. You could then drag either or both end nodes to a new location so they cross.

To change the start & end point, instead of breaking the curve at the red start/end node, break it at one of the other nodes. To leave a gap you can either set the cap to butt or move the nodes.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1