You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slow even on the 2017 Macbook Pro 15

Thanks dear Affinity for such a lovely produce and super videos to help us trough.

I upgraded to the new 2017 Macbook pro 15,  hoping that it will speed up things. I use a nikon d810 but loading each photo takes forever still ok give or take a few seconds.

Am I missing something or does it normally take a about 45 seconds to load one photo ?

Best wishes

Amitabh

Hi Amitabh,

Welcome to the forum :)

Loading times for RAW files may vary between systems, but it is something that the developers want to improve while the development of the app continues. Please upload a copy of the file you're trying to open so I can test this on my machine. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just downloaded Affinity Photo and have a new MBP where I find Affinity slow to use and where I find monitor indicating 100% resources and fan running almost constantly.

The file I am using is 24mb with a couple of layers. Photoshop has no slow downs when running the same file, so I think it has to be Affinity. BTW, I am still running Sierra, MBP 2017 maxed out.

Thx

Mike 

Abandoned_Row_Houses.afphoto

@micheal.hd Yeah I find it slow also when working with larger file size documents. I believe it's because the software has many live tools which places huge pressure on the CPU. And it also, compared against Photoshop, utilises current generation software programming - which is why it's very slick. So the potential is huge but we suffer until the software is more optimised and hardware gets better. It's a trade-off really. Live (Affinity) against static (PS) in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, rainwilds said:

@micheal.hd Yeah I find it slow also when working with larger file size documents. I believe it's because the software has many live tools which places huge pressure on the CPU. And it also, compared against Photoshop, utilises current generation software programming - which is why it's very slick. So the potential is huge but we suffer until the software is more optimised and hardware gets better. It's a trade-off really. Live (Affinity) against static (PS) in my opinion.

The Affinity file is only a few mb larger than the Photoshop file so I thinks its an apples vs apples comparison really.

Affinity is not ready for release if there is a memory leak or a bug in it. No way it should slow down the new MBP with only a three layer file.

@micheal.hd Yeah I hear you. I have no idea why it would be slow on your new MBP. What processor does it have? I just installed it on my Surface 3 (which has a slow Intel Atom processor) and it is surprisingly comparable to that of my i7 desktop. When I say comparable, the desktop of course is faster but by not a great deal more.

1 hour ago, rainwilds said:

@micheal.hd Yeah I hear you. I have no idea why it would be slow on your new MBP. What processor does it have? I just installed it on my Surface 3 (which has a slow Intel Atom processor) and it is surprisingly comparable to that of my i7 desktop. When I say comparable, the desktop of course is faster but by not a great deal more.

My MBP is maxed out 3ghz quad core i7 w/16gb ram, 4gb video and 1tb ssd. No idea why it should be sweating with such a small 400mb file. I have worked on larger files in photoshop with no issues. 

Affinity Ty’s will have to look into this one.

mj

2 hours ago, micheal.hd said:

I just downloaded Affinity Photo and have a new MBP where I find Affinity slow to use and where I find monitor indicating 100% resources and fan running almost constantly.

The file I am using is 24mb with a couple of layers. Photoshop has no slow downs when running the same file, so I think it has to be Affinity. BTW, I am still running Sierra, MBP 2017 maxed out.

FWIW, I downloaded your file onto my older iMac (specs below in my sig) & I do not see much CPU use or an appreciable lag when enabling/disabling layers or changing the adjustment layer settings or anything else I have tried with it. As you can tell from the specs, my iMac is a far less powerful system than yours, so I do not know why you are seeing slowdowns or high CPU use.

Are you maybe running some third party system "enhancements" that could cause this?

EDIT: I also just noticed that the Abandoned_Row_Houses.afphoto as downloaded from this page is, according to Finder's Get Info, 419,107,618 bytes (419.1 MB on disk), many times larger than 24 MB figure you mentioned. Are you sure you attached the correct .afphoto file to your post?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I downloaded your file onto my older iMac (specs below in my sig) & I do not see much CPU use or an appreciable lag when enabling/disabling layers or changing the adjustment layer settings or anything else I have tried with it. As you can tell from the specs, my iMac is a far less powerful system than yours, so I do not know why you are seeing slowdowns or high CPU use.

Are you maybe running some third party system "enhancements" that could cause this?

EDIT: I also just noticed that the Abandoned_Row_Houses.afphoto as downloaded from this page is, according to Finder's Get Info, 419,107,618 bytes (419.1 MB on disk), many times larger than 24 MB figure you mentioned. Are you sure you attached the correct .afphoto file to your post?

This file may have come from the d800 so file would start a little bigger at 36 mb. BUT I save all history , all masks, everything until I get what I’m looking for. One photo had three merged, hdr, new sky and it was 2gb in size in photoshop and no issue with this MBP.

9 hours ago, rainwilds said:

I also just downloaded your file and had a look. Didn't seem any different in speed then what I'm used to seeing. By the @micheal.hd way how'd you create that fog?

9 hours ago, rainwilds said:

I also just downloaded your file and had a look. Didn't seem any different in speed then what I'm used to seeing. By the @micheal.hd way how'd you create that fog?

Fog was created by adding a new layer with gradient on it. Throw a mask and paint it in. These houses are what’s left of a fishing community in New Foundland, Canada after the government decided fishing was bad for environment.

43 minutes ago, micheal.hd said:

This file may have come from the d800 so file would start a little bigger at 36 mb. BUT I save all history , all masks, everything until I get what I’m looking for.

That does not explain why the .afphoto file you uploaded is nearly 420 MB when downloaded & does not include any history.

But regardless of that, as I said I am using a significantly lower performance system & I am not seeing any unusual lags in any edits or other changes to the file, or any spikes in CPU usage when I do anything to it. I am using the following Performance preferences. How do they compare to what you are using?

prefs.png.073de2a78ec32457c8d2a43a667e4032.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I resumed editing the file and with each brush stroke I wait for the program to draw the brush and I watch as the activity monitor goes up to 600-800 cpu percent.

There is nothing else running on the Mac so I have no idea of whats making this happen.

Looks like I need to stick with PS for a while longer until AP is a little older and evolved.

MJ

Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 3.27.17 PM.jpg

Edited by micheal.hd

32 minutes ago, micheal.hd said:

There is nothing else running on the Mac so I have no idea of whats making this happen.

Activity Monitor shows several other user processes running, one or more of which may be interacting with Affinity Photo and/or each other in unexpected ways. Possible candidates include Path Finder, Synology, Kaspersky, & Little Snitch. In fact, searching the web on "kav process OS X" (running with root access, no less) turns up at least one multiple complaints about it randomly pushing CPU usage to 100% or more or causing sluggish behavior.

32 minutes ago, micheal.hd said:

Looks like I need to stick with PS for a while longer until AP is a little older and evolved.

If this was something inherently wrong with AP, why don't I see something similar on my older & slower iMac? Why isn't this behavior widely reported in these forums by other Mac users?

I don't run any 'helper' or 'enhancement' add-ons, in part because they can interact in undesirable ways & cause hard to diagnose & correct issues, including high CPU usage.

Affinity Photo 

Well I stopped KV process, which is my internet security software, shutdown pathfinder as you say and still Affinity maxes out my CPU.

Go ahead, load my file, finish my Bruch strokes for the fog and see.

I have the trial version of Affinity, this should be the newest version one would think.

I DONT GET HIGH CPU uses with ANY other software, no matter how much I load this thing with kav and pathfinder running. OMG I just want to work on my photos. I don't have this much time for drama. If Affinity developers cannot give me an answer then its gone. period. 

4 minutes ago, micheal.hd said:

Go ahead, load my file, finish my Bruch strokes for the fog and see.

Like I have said more than once now, no matter what I do with the downloaded file, I do not see CPU spikes, lags, or any other signs of the app using very many OS resources. I do not know how to make it any clearer than that.

Affinity Photo 

13 hours ago, micheal.hd said:

Well I stopped KV process, which is my internet security software, shutdown pathfinder as you say and still Affinity maxes out my CPU.

I am not sure what you mean about stopping the "KV" process, but the only way to be sure Kaspersky Internet Security is not restarting and/or running any "faceless" processes in the background is to uninstall it, using the uninstaller provided by Kaspersky for this purpose. Make sure you use the instructions for your version (18.0 if it is the most up-to-date one).

This is necessary because Kaspersky intentionally makes it difficult to disable the software. This is a common practice for security software -- if it was easy to disable it, it would pose a security risk if for some reason malware that was clever enough to do this did infect your system.

Also note that if you are running v16, there are known incompatibilities with other software, including Little Snitch. This is one of several reasons that if you feel it is necessary to run this kind of software on your Mac, it is important to use the most up-to-date version, not just of your primary security software but of every third party add-on you have decided to install.

I would be remiss if I did not mention briefly that there are some legitimate concerns about the advisability of running any third party A-V software on Macs, & about Kaspersky specifically, but I assume you know about that already so I won't elaborate on that here.

Affinity Photo 

19 minutes ago, MEB said:

I'm seeing what you mean with the delays.

Could you explain a bit more about where exactly you are seeing the delays? Also, are you also seeing CPU use spikes?

I am just wondering why I can't reproduce this behavior on my iMac.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi micheal.hd,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm sorry the delay getting back to you. I'm seeing what you mean with the delays.

I'm currently checking this on a second system. Out of curiosity, what's the size/settings and brush you are using?

Morning, I have traced the high cpu usage while creating the fog. This was created on its own layer, adding a gradient to it. Then added a mask where I use a specialty brush to mix the fog appearance up a bit. This 'mixing' and use of the specialty Bruch ( size xl large) is where the high usage and freezing come into play. It appears that I am out of my trial as of today so I cannot go back into Affinity to see exact  brush and size. 

This is a catch 22 as I like using Affinity better than PS but am not willing to purchase both (my PS subscription is ending next month) and with Affinity acting in this manner does not make me want to purchase right away. As for other programs running on my Mac, I need protection from outside interests and I feel safe knowing what my computer is doing so I will NOT stop other programs just to run Affinity which is the only program that appears to be slow. Even capture one pro 10 on this machine runs excellent whereas on my older windows machine use to stop and wait.

If you can prove that I have a legitimate problem or that Affinity has a bug that would be fixed next chance then I would be willing to purchase Affinity and give it a year try.

Thx

• Staff

Hi micheal.hd,

I'm not questioning the use of third-party apps (anti-virus or otherwise). Affinity should work as intended no matter what apps you decide to have installed. There may be conflicts with some utilities/apps but those are mostly exceptions. Thank you for the additional info. I'm checking your document on another system to see if i can reproduce it there and will pass your file to the dev team if necessary.

Affinity Photo 1.6 should be out soon (we will reset the trial so everyone can try the new features) so you should be able to try it again later if you want.

Note: staff/support/QA members are identified with a Staff blue badge below the avatar on the left.

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi micheal.hd,

I'm not questioning the use of third-party apps (anti-virus or otherwise). Affinity should work as intended no matter what apps you decide to have installed. There may be conflicts with some utilities/apps but those are mostly exceptions. Thank you for the additional info. I checking your document in another system to see if i can reproduce it there and will pass your file to the dev team if necessary.

Affinity Photo 1.6 should be out soon (we will reset the trial so everyone can try the new features) so you should be able to try it again later if you want.

Note: staff/support/QA members are identified with a blue badge below the avatar on the left.

MEB, thanks for the quick reply and appreciate your comment on the use of my apps. These apps are purchased and are the newest offered. I figure if they don't appear to slow down other software then there should not be a problem. I will look fwd to trailing the new version of Affinity when its released.

BTW, I am considering the upgrade of High Seirra, will Affinity 1.6 be compatible ?

Thanks