Gary_F

Sub menus appears on left instead of right side

Sub menus from the Filters and View menus are popping up on the left of the parent menu instead of the right. This is frustrating and is a significant usability issue. There is no obstruction that would prevent the sub menu appearing on the right, so I can't explain why it renders on the left. See screenshot.

Affinity Photo 1.5.2.69 on Windows 10, version 1703, build 15063.632. Graphics card: Geforce 960GT.

Primary monitor: 2560x1440
Secondary monitor: 1920x1200

Photo is running as a maximised window on the primary monitor only.

2017-10-09_18-46-28.jpg

It's because you have a pen, therefore the menus change depending on whether the pen settings are set to left or right-handed use.  It's so that the menus appear in front of the pen tip where possible.

The settings can be found in Windows Control Panel > Tablet PC Settings > 'Other' tab.

post-29590-0-25350400-1497916339_thumb.png

Or on Windows 10, the settings can be found by going to Settings > Devices > Pen & Windows Ink > 'Choose which hand you write with'.

post-29590-0-41863800-1497916863_thumb.png

One thing to be aware of though is if you're using a touchscreen tablet and you change it to left-handed use even though you are right-handed, it may prevent palm rejection from working properly.

Hi @Sima,

Thanks for your reply. I don't use a pen, but I did try out a Wacom tablet many months ago, long before I installed Affinity Photo.

Photoshop and other apps don't have this problem of displaying menus on the wrong side, it's only Photo that does. That's why I think something is wrong with Photo. Also, the sub menus appear on the right for all of the menus until we get to Filters and View.

I don't have either of the settings you referenced in Control Panel or Settings. I've taken a screenshot and those options are not available because I don't have a pen installed. o.O

2017-10-09_22-59-25.jpg

3 hours ago, Gary_F said:

... Also, the sub menus appear on the right for all of the menus until we get to Filters and View.

That's correct, the other sub menus to the left of 'Filters' will appear on the right because they are too far left.

If 'Tablet PC Settings' isn't showing in Windows Control Panel any more, then it should still be possible to manually launch it.  Press and hold the Windows Key on your keyboard and then press R to bring up the Run dialog box.  Then paste the below line (CLSID key) into the Run dialogue and press enter.

explorer shell:::{80F3F1D5-FECA-45F3-BC32-752C152E456E}

This should launch the 'Tablet PC Settings' dialogue as shown in my first screenshot above.  If it does then click on the 'Other' tab, change it to 'Left-handed' and press the 'OK' button.  Your 'Filter' sub menus should now open to the right.

I launched Tablet PC Settings using the method you prescribed. It worked, and now the sub menus show up on the correct side. Thank you!

I still say it's wrong for Photo to operate this way when a pen/tablet isn't installed and no other applications behave this way.

Thank you for taking the time to reply with good instructions.

14 hours ago, Gary_F said:

I still say it's wrong for Photo to operate this way

We're obeying what Windows is telling us, which is, display the menus on the left (or right). It's actually Photoshop (and other applications) that are wrong, as it's ignoring the user's preference.

5 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

We're obeying what Windows is telling us, which is, display the menus on the left (or right). It's actually Photoshop (and other applications) that are wrong, as it's ignoring the user's preference.

Thanks Mark, as an improvement, is there any way to know that the pen is not currently connected or does Windows not give the software that info?

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

55 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Thanks Mark, as an improvement, is there any way to know that the pen is not currently connected or does Windows not give the software that info?

Exactly, Patrick. Photo should not change the menus if there's no pen installed. Window's Tablet PC Settings tells me "No pen or touch input is available for this display" (for both of my displays). I would be surprised if it wasn't possible to programmatically obtain that information from Windows.

For what it's worth, I experience a similar issue with Windows Explorer, when I right-click the mouse in an empty area of a folder and choose "New". The popup is, annoyingly, on the left rather than the right, and I've never understood why. I'm glad I noticed this discussion  :)

Thanks!

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.502 Beta