You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very slow to open Canon RAW!

Time taken top open an 18mp Canon RAW file: 17s

Time taken with Canon Digital Photo Professional V4 for the same file: less than a second

Absolutely HOPELESS.

Environment:

Affinity Photo trial V1.5.2.69

Windows 10-X64, Dell M4500 quad core i5 @2.53GHz, 4GB

Greg.

Absolutely HOPELESS

That is a matter of opinion, I would dare to venture!

However, it is true to say that the time taken to open RAW files in APhoto has been the subject of many posts (please do a search!).

However, I just tested this on the beta version of the app.  Results: DPP, c.1 second, as you say; AP Beta 1.6.0.84, c.4 seconds.

"Hopeless", I think not!

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Agreed - it is of course a matter of opinion - and my opinion is that it is ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS,  on my system - the difference between DPP and Affinity is ANORMOUS - *in my opinion*. If I was getting YOUR result, I would not be complaining as loudly, but I don't.

And just by the way, I did do a search - I found a thread about Nikon, so decided to start my own thread for Canon. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do - sorry if that's the case.

Hi.

Thank you for your response.

I think you may have missed the fact that I said my AP results were achieved whilst using the latest beta release; the time taken to open RAW files, be they Nikon, Canon, or whatever, has been a particular concern for the development team, in response to many posters to the forum raising it as an issue.  The recent beta releases which are leading to the forthcoming version 1.6 have demonstrated, on my system at least, a very great improvement in this specific area.

So, "hopeless" (implying, as it does, there is no chance of improvement), as I wrote before, "I think not".  If you are prepared to stick with this and, once version 1.6 is finally released, test again the speed of RAW files opening I'm pretty certain you will find the situation very considerably improved.

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Good news! How long does it take you to open the same file, using the production version?

Just by the way, definition no. 4 of the word "hopeless" at dictionary.com: "not able to learn or act, ***perform, or work as desired; inadequate for the purpose***" (emphasis mine)

Good question!

Using the latest release version on the same image, c.12 seconds.

Not especially wishing to continue the dictionary debate but it does seem to me that your quoted definition does not undermine my comment that there is a real sense in which the word "hopeless" implies a problem which cannot be remedied; indeed it rather strengthens it, I think.

12 seconds is only slightly faster than my 14 seconds, which is indeed promising. 

Re the dictionary - definition no 4 is the meaning I had in mind, and is a meaning used frequently in the common vernacular.  I think your chosen interpretation is ridiculous - if I had really thought there was NO hope for improvement, there'd have been no point in making a post at all.  I'm glad you aren't willing to continue this debate which should never even have been started to begin with.

EDIT: It currently takes 17s, not 14s as I said above. 

Edited by GregS

• 4 weeks later...