You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welding points in different curves PHOTO

Affinity PHOTO

How can I weld these points from different curves together?

Joining curves is not doing it.

I use Anime Studio as well and welding points is done so easily.

But not so in Affinity.

Thanks I am using Photo.

Weld2.jpg

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

You can only join together two end nodes from different paths, not three or more -- paths must have no more than one start & one end node, which will be coincident for a closed shape.

So for example, if you want something that looks like the shape on the left, you could do that by joining each of the three pairs of lines shown in green on the right, adding one middle node to each of them, & snapping those nodes to ones on the line shown in red.

59db19e441122_nodetree.png.414ba7489402cb7021c50d846cf3fdec.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am not exactly sure what you mean by welding in Anime Studio, but if it is layer or point binding, that is not the same thing as joining vector paths. AS can't export to svg vector shapes because the same restrictions apply in svg as in Affinity regarding the number of end nodes a path can have.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

AS can't export to svg vector shapes because the same restrictions apply in svg as in Affinity regarding the number of end nodes a path can have.

Do you have the latest version of MOHO (Anime Studio)?

SVG support has a major upgrade in Moho Pro 12. It is now possible to import and export vector graphics and retain your points, colors and shapes.

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

It has always been possible to import svg vector files into Anime Studio Pro, but there is still no way to get around the limitation of no more than two end points on a vector path.

Affinity Photo 

Glad to help. Concerning Moho, I always wait, wait and wait and then take advantage of a sale when upgrading. I have gone from version 6 to 9, and now 12 last year. With the new Harmony 15 out next week and with OpenToonz making strides, Moho really needs to up their game to keep pace, which unfortunately means their pricing will probably increase too.

But for those wanting to do some animation and asking for Serif to make an animation app, Moho is probably the best option and Designer works well with it. I have a workaround set up where I can make a character in Designer, have the various parts on different layers and then use the export persona to create slices and export out each layer as it own SVG. Then in Moho you can import those SVGs and you have your character with all of the parts lined up and named. Not too bad of a workflow once you get the hang of it.

I first bought MOHO as Anime Studio Debut version 6 when I found it on sale somewhere for about $20. The editing tools were terrible -- for example, the move tool equivalent could not select anything; you had to use a different tool for that & then switch to one of the other tools to move points or do anything else that required a selection. But when I got an offer to upgrade to the Pro 6 version for about $70 I did that, mostly because the Debut versions lack any kind of vector import, as well as many other features of the Pro versions.

I eventually took advantage of another upgrade sale offer to get Anime Studio Pro version 9.2 (for under $200 if memory serves), but when Smith Micro wanted even more money to upgrade that to version 9.5, I decided they had enough of my money. As of version 9, the editing tools were still horrible, & I think they may not have been improved much until the switch back to the MOHO name at version 12(??). The current Debut versions still lack vector import/export & many other functions. I do not think even with tool improvements the Debut version is worth its $70 retail price.

Affinity Photo 

R C-R, i just found the option in Moho Pro 12.3 that lets me restart the program as 12.3 Debut, I guess they did this to make it easier produce tutorials and use both programs. Yeah, really stripped down and no import or export of SVG, can't really recommend the Debut version.

As I said, the program and the company is at a bit of a crossroads. They (Smith Micro) got rid of the original programmer, Mike Clifton, and also got rid of others on the team like Victor Paredes, who is one of the greatest practitioners of the program. Those moves made me scratch my head. 

2D animation software isn't cheap and there aren't a lot of options. On one end you have something like Harmony Premium which you can pay for by subscription or get a perpetual license $2,000, then you have Moho at $400, Spine Pro at $299 and then OpenToonz which is open source and free. We do have an export spine JSON option in Designer and that means you can use vectors and the pixel persona to create characters and even do things like continual export, make changes in Designer and it will update in realtime in Spine, and we have had some forum members show that in action. That may be the best option for the money if somebody doesn't want to go the OpenToonz route.