You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lines are becoming very jagged when image is exported

This has been happening on and off and I can't figure out why it is happening on certain images and not others.  When looking at the lines in Affinity Designer, they look crisp, straight, and clean.  After exporting, the lines becomes jagged and they look terrible.  I am attaching 2 photos of a pumpkin illustration I made (the way it looks in AD, and the other after being exported).  The most noticeable problems are on the stem of the pumpkin. 

I exported it as a PNG file.  Working on a Macbook Pro, OS X El Capitan, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor, 4GB 1600 MHz memory.  I am also attaching the AD file.  

Any help would be appreciated...not sure what I'm doing wrong.  

Thank you!

Pumpkin.afdesign

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 8.17.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 8.27.19 PM.png

This has happened in the past, and it seems that it happens most often when the graphic is a light color (white or light beige).  It almost seems to add a black line around the graphic (when stroke was set to 'none') after being exported.  Here is another example...

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.22.36 PM.png

The pumpkin export to PNG works fine for me

Are you sure you are viewing it at 100%?

Are you reducing the size when exporting?

Do a screenshot of your export options, so we can match them and test again

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, littlebee said:

This has happened in the past, and it seems that it happens most often when the graphic is a light color (white or light beige).  It almost seems to add a black line around the graphic (when stroke was set to 'none') after being exported.  Here is another example...

Are you aware that the Designer file is a vector file, made up of curves so it doesn't matter what size you expand it to?. A PNG file is a bitmap, so what resolution you export it as, depends on how sharp it is or how smooth the edges are.

When you export it, Designer rasterizes it.

The PNG sample you posted is only 620 pixels wide. For litho printing, that is suitable for an image about 2" wide.

Export it as a SVG or PDF (although some of the gradients will be rasterised) or export at a higher resolution.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

PNG is a bitmap (raster) image format. That means how sharp & crisp an image looks depends on how many pixels it contains -- as its pixel dimensions are reduced, artifacts informally known as 'jaggies' (if no anti-alising is used) or soft, blurry edges (if it is) become increasingly apparent.

So for example, your Affinity Designer file is 3000 x 3000 px, of which about 2100 x 2200 px are devoted to the vector shapes that form the pumpkin. If you export the pumpkin group at that pixel resolution, the artifacts should be almost unnoticeable, but if you reduce the pixel dimensions of the export significantly, they will be.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am wanting to make clipart that is 6" x 6".  What size should I make the graphic in AD and then what resolution should I export as?  I have to export as PNG for clipart.  I only have this problem on lighter colored graphics...never on those with darker colors.  I am trying Illustrator out right now and recreated the same graphic, exported it the same, and didn't run into this problem. 

Thanks for any advice...I am a newbie trying to make my way through all of this.  =) Do you think Affinity Photo or Designer is best for making non-vector clipart?  Any videos that could help me with this would also mean the world to me...I can't find any that explain how to make clipart from start to finish.  Thanks so much!

6" x 6" at what resolution ? 

for litho it should be around 1800 pixels x 1800 pixels, for a smartphone some are much higher resolution than that.

for web at 72 dpi about 432 pixels x 432 pixels

Never use inches unless you know how many pixels are involved. If it's for print set at 1800 pixels x 1800 pixels, at least.

Designer or Photo, no difference, but get the resolution right !!!!!!!!!

toltec-thank you!  I want it to be 300 DPI.  

owenr-

In what app are you viewing the PNG that was exported from AD?  Silhouette Studio (I want to make stickers from the clipart I'm creating)

What is the size of that PNG, measured in pixels? It is 6" x 6" so I guess 1800 x 1800 pixels (that is the most common size I've seen in ETSY shops that sell clipart)

In what app are you viewing the PNG that was exported from Illustrator?  Same...Silhouette Studio

What is the size of that PNG, measured in pixels?  6" x 6"

I just discovered when the problem is happening.  For clipart, I have to use a transparent background.  I tried the export with your exact suggestions and it looked great when opening the exported PNG file.  Then I tried the exact settings with a transparent background...the jagged lines appeared when opening the exported file.  Why would the transparent background (which I need for clipart) make a difference in the quality?  So confusing...

1 hour ago, littlebee said:

I just discovered when the problem is happening.  For clipart, I have to use a transparent background.  I tried the export with your exact suggestions and it looked great when opening the exported PNG file.  Then I tried the exact settings with a transparent background...the jagged lines appeared when opening the exported file.  Why would the transparent background (which I need for clipart) make a difference in the quality?  So confusing...

Can you post the pumpkin, as the Designer vector file, so I can try.

toltec- I am attaching a different file because the lines are obvious on this one.  It is typically with lighter colored graphics (white, beige, light tan, etc...).  I just tried it with the file I'm attaching and it worked with your settings perfectly.  Then when exporting with a transparent background, the problems started again.  Thanks so much for your help...I just can't figure this out.  

Camper.afdesign

owenr- no need to apologize, I truly appreciate all the help you've provided.  I read my question again, and I probably could have worded it differently.  =)

Thank you so much for taking the time to check all of this for me...I'm very grateful.  Glad to know it is Silhouette and not anything I'm doing on my end.  Have a great day and thanks again!