StuartPearson

Unable to load document error message

This has happened a couple of times, the most recent today with the latest iPad version 1.6.5.61. A document I finished editing and is in a folder (not sure if that’s relevant) cannot be re-opened with an error message stating “Unable to load document”. Stopping the application and re-starting makes no difference. Whilst the file is in this state I can still duplicate/move out of folder. The new copies have the same issuing when trying to open them.

if I had spent a long time editing the file I would not be pleased to lose a lot of work. I have noted other posts where the error message has been reported but didn’t seem to be persistent.

Stuart

Hey Stuart,

I have seen that message a few times but like you've observed, quitting the app and restarting it normally resumes functionality of the file. I've managed to permanently break 2 files during early testing and development had the idea of adding a feature in the app that allows users to send these files to the cloud so we can recover them, but unfortunately this hasn't been implemented yet.

Do you have a rough idea of what you were doing in the document? 

I far as I remember as had just finished editing the same image, returned to the main display and then tried to re-open it.

Don’t know if it helps, just tried the “save a copy” option and I get the spinning line with the main display blurred out, it was then necessary to force close the app to restore normal use.

Stuart

I've seen it before where if you press to go Home and then try and open the document, it will fail because it's still trying to save it but it always recovers after restarting the application. I'll see if I can reproduce this today by going back and forth between Home and the document. We really need to get this looked at as the loss of work is obviously very serious. 

Hi Stuart,

Can I assume exiting the app doesn't restore functionality when you reload it? Was this just a document you tried to open that you had finished working on? Or did it happen all of a sudden whilst editing it? Any idea what you had recently done in the document? What are you saving the file to? Or are you just pressing Home and leaving the app?

Closing the app and restarting makes no difference.

It was an image I had edited the previous day and was re-opening it.

When the image was edited it was saved as a .jpg to my IPad via the sharing folders provided through the FileBrowser app.

Will advise if (when?) it happens again :)

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I've been speaking with another user who is in a similar boat but apparently duplicating the file allowed that duplicate to open. I know you said this didn't work for you so I've escalated an email through Dev. Sorry about this. 

New to Affinity Photo and a new iPad Pro, so not sure if my information is helpful.  I just had the same error.  Finished edits on a photo and went to develop it.  It went to the main menu screen and when I went to open the image again, I got the "Unable to load document" error.  After reading this thread, I went and turned the iPad completely off and restarted.  Was then able to open the document, but when I try to select different personas, I get the message "Cannot Develop please select an RGB pixel layer before developing".  Perhaps this is hanging up the program?  Once choosing a pixel layer and developing, I am able to switch personas and save and open the image normally.

This is still happening with latest version (1.6.7.76), no pattern as to when it will occur but no way to recover processed image. Is there anything I can do to help progress the issue? The latest failure was with an image that was only added in the last couple of days and had one editing session.

Stuart

Man I just lost a project i was working on.  Huuuuge bummer.  I double tapped an SVG that i had imported.  I was trying to figure out how to cut out a natively created shape from the  imported SVG shape, and the program crashed.  I reopened it, and it says that the document cannot be loaded.  I can’t duplicate it either.  

I’m scared to get in to another logo design.  Luckily i wasn’t SUPER far into it, but i had a symbol that i made that is gone now.  Set me back a couple of hours probably.

Hi David100,

Can you try long-pressing on the project you cannot open and then drag it to a folder and then send it to me? I can ask the developers to look into it for you. Sorry about this :( 

I have tried holding and dragging it into a folder in the IOS files app but it refuses to move there. I tried the same process with a photo that doesn’t have the error message and that transferred perfectly. How else can i share it with you? Thank you for the quick reply. I installed affinity photo to my iPad Pro about 6 months ago and I was immediately impressed with its performance and features. It seemed to offer editing software as powerful as photoshop but on an iPad and at a much more affordable price. However in the last month the software seems to have developed many bugs. One of which involves the whole app crashing whenever I apply a selective colour adjustment layer. After crashing I reload the app and the photo along with all the editing progress is gone. More recently I am now having this error message as described above which at the moment is preventing me from accessing photos I have spent hours working on. I feel like if this level of unreliability continues I’ll be forced to move to a more reliable editing software like lightroom on Mac. Which will be a shame because affinity photo is truly an amazing application, when it works. Thanks again.

If you are unable to move the offending file but you can move an image, it sounds like the file is still being used. Try restarting the iPad to see if it releases it.

We've just released a GM beta version of the app which means an App Store update should hopefully be available soon which will fix a lot of the issues introduced in 1.7.

I HAVE JUST LOST ANOTHER PHOTO EDIT TO THIS ISSUE! can someone please offer a solution, as this is beyond fustratating. I use to love editing photos using affinity photo but now I just dread something going wrong every time I use the application.

Right it is happening to every one of my projects now so the app has become unusable. Considering I paid for this app I do not consider this level of faultiness acceptable

Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble.

We should be able to pull the corrupt file from your iPad but as we cannot do that for some reason, would you mind trying to save the file as a copy (which looks like it makes it crash) and then go to Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data and look for the Photo iPad crash. Then click Share to save to an .ips file. You can then save it to a cloud service and attach it here.

I've spoken with the developers this morning and we're really keen to find out what's happening here.