You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filter Forge compatibility broken

Since about 3 betas ago Filter Forge 6 ceased to work with Affinity Photo. Used to run fine, now it shows the following error message when I try to run this plugin:

<class XFW::ArgurnentError> Invalid plane count 0 (expected: 3).

9 hours ago, Filter Forge said:

Hi Gene, Can you please answer the following questions:

1) What OS do you use?

2) What Filter Forge edition do you own? Basic, Standard, or Professional?

1. Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

2. Filter Forge 6.009 Professional Edition. Build: Filter Forge x64 6.009.43327.15634 Release, May 18, 2017 09:37.

15 hours ago, Gene R said:

1. Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

2. Filter Forge 6.009 Professional Edition. Build: Filter Forge x64 6.009.43327.15634 Release, May 18, 2017 09:37.

Hi Gene, as far as I understood you want to use on Affinity Photo Beta. Filter Forge now officially supports only Affinity Photo 1.5 Release.

6 hours ago, Filter Forge said:

Hi Gene, as far as I understood you want to use on Affinity Photo Beta. Filter Forge now officially supports only Affinity Photo 1.5 Release.

Hi, will you be adding support for 1.6? I did contact you with the changes that we'd made, but haven't heard anything back yet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11.10.2017 at 11:11 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Hi, will you be adding support for 1.6? I did contact you with the changes that we'd made, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Hi Mark, we plan to add support for 1.6 after its official release. Thank you for letting me know about changes, I've seen it and passed the information to our developers.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Filter Forge said:

MEB, we currently do not support the Mac version of Affinity Photo. And as far as I know we'll not support it in the nearest future. If you want to know why, the structure of the Affinity Photo and FF codes just can't work right together.

I believe the latest macOS beta version will work with it.

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Our developers told me that the problem is in Sandbox technology and Filter Forge needs to save files in Temp folder. We'll be happy to add official support to the Mac version if this obstacle is eliminated.

Hi Filter Forge,

I have just installed the trial version of Filter Forge 7.

My very first observations, Adope PS CS6 does work fine.

Affinty Photo, latest version: does not work, pls. see attachment, but is registered in the plugin menu.

Affinity Photo Beta vers. 1.6.1.93: is not registered in the plugin menu. Where to find the plugin folder?

snip_20171117193520.png

Win11/64 Pro 23H2

NVIDIA RTX 3090: Studio drv.

CPU I7-9700KF: RAM 64GB: &SSD

Monitor 4K

Microsoft Surface 8 Pro i7/16gB Win11Pro

Spoiler

HOW TO install Filter Forge 6.0 or 7.0 into Affinity Photo 1.6.1 Beta (Windows)

1. Close Affinity Photo.

2. Open C:\Program files\Filter Forge 7.0\Plugin and copy both files (FilterForge.config and the second one).

3. Open C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\Plugins and paste the files there.

4. Open FilterForge.config file and change false to true in the 4th line. The result should be like this: IndependentUI value="true"/>

5. Open Affinity Photo. Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Photoshop Plugins and check the "Allow Unknown plugins to be used".

Now Filter Forge is intalled and should work fine!

On 17.11.2017 at 1:31 PM, Mark Ingram said:

OMG, we tested Mac version once more and it worked!

Mark, I'll send you some of our thoughts in a private message and here's the general instruction for the users.

HOW TO install Filter Forge 6.0 or 7.0 into Affinity Photo 1.6.7 Beta (Mac)

1. Install Affinity Photo 1.6.7 and Filter Forge 6 or 7.

2. Open Affinity Photo Beta -> Preferences -> Photoshop Plugins.

3. Check the "Allow Unknown plugins to be used".

4. In the Plugin Search Folders area click the Add button and add /Applications/Filter Forge 7 folder.

5. In the Plugin Support Folders area click the Authorise Global button and then Open button (in the opened dialogue)

Finally it should look like this -- see the image attached. Now Filter Forge is intalled and should work. With some issues, which we'll try to fix along with Affinity Photo developers, but WORKS!

image.png

Filter Forge + Affinity , especially Design one,   could be a best thing ever happened in image editors,   could be a blend in between node based and layer approaches  we have always dreamt  about.

But  it should be working the way we could get input from different Affinity layers/objects into Filter Forge at the same time with FF having an access to the full stack of layers/objects somehow  and the calculation  result would stay "live" and tweakable, not just being rasterized into static layer.  Maybe not true "live" but at least having a button to update the result after you scale/move something. 

It actually worked that "live" way in   vector editor "Xara"  years ago , same as other Photoshop plugins  that Xara re-rasterize each time you edit them or re-scale the object . Pretty slow but worked . Then suddenly stopped to work after an update , FF or Xara one I am not sure now.  

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.