You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpaint fill-in expanded canvas

Hello everyone!

I've been trying to recreate the technique seen in the video, without success. The idea is to expand the canvas, then use edit > fill > inpaint to create an intelligent expansion of the background.

Here's what happens when I try it. I expand the canvas (screenshot 1), select the empty area, go to edit > fill, select inpaint, and... get a semi-transparent blur (screenshot 2). 

The inpainting brush tool is a little better, but not by much. I think the problem is that the software is sampling from the transparent expansion as well.

Can anyone help me out?

Screenshot 1 .PNG

Screenshot 2.PNG

After you extend the canvas, right click the Layer (in the Layers panel) and select Rasterise, then try the Inpainting again

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

After you extend the canvas, right click the Layer (in the Layers panel) and select Rasterise, then try the Inpainting again

At least for me, this works without the rasterize step, but only if the canvas has been extended only vertically below the image (as in the video) or if it has been extended only to the right.

IOW, if I set the resize canvas anchor point to the top center one & change only the canvas height, or set the anchor point to the left middle one & change only the canvas width, then Edit > Inpaint or Edit > Fill > Inpaint fills the empty area without the transparent fade or the need for the rasterize step. Enlarging the canvas in any other way requires the rasterize step to avoid the transparent fade.

If anybody else can confirm this, I think it means there is a bug in the Edit menu inpainting function.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Works like a charm! Thank you! There was still a visible border where the original canvas ended, but I managed to work around that with a feathered selection. I'll probably blur out the background anyway, so it won't be noticeable.

Now, can anyone explain to me why I have to rasterize the layer?

55 minutes ago, Reisender said:

Rasterise is a go-to word it Affinity, like "thing" or "wotsit". 

Rasterise technically means create raster (or bitmap/pixel) data from vector data. In Photo it also means "allow editing of embedded image documents" or in this case "remove data outside the layer" such as transparency. 

I think a couple more uses too, but can't think at the moment.

It comes under the "I don't know what else to call it" section of the programmers manual ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 hour ago, Reisender said:

When you extend the canvas you create an area outside the rest of the image's normal time and space dimensions.  This new area appears void but is actually made up of what we now know to be called "Affinity Pixels".

These "Affinity Pixels" do not work well with normal pixels or react to the same cosmic forces that normal pixels react to when using things like inpainting.

You will find that these (rather annoying) "Affinity pixels" also show up when using the crop tool to extend the space around your image.

Rasterization is the process of gamma eradiating these "Affinity Pixels" so that they revert back to being normal image pixels and thus perform as you would expect when manipulating your image.

Unfortunately these "Affinity Pixels" crop up quite a bit when using Affinity Photo, so if you encounter any strange and unexpected results in your use of the program then Raterizing the layer can usually rectify any time and space discrepancies between your pixels and then the program will function as expected.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

56 minutes ago, Reisender said:

As I mentioned in my reply above, I think this is probably due to a bug. I have two reasons for this:

1. As I understand it, inpainting algorithms generally sample the structure and/or texture of the surrounding area to determine how to fill in the selection. IOW, it is a process of replacement, & should do no blending other than that needed to continue the structure of those areas into the selection. Thus, it should not matter if the pixels in the selection are transparent.

2. As in the video, rasterization is not required if the canvas is expanded only downward, or (at least in my tests) only to the right. If this is not a bug & it was intended that rasterization was always required, then it should be consistent regardless of how the canvas is expanded. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Unfortunately these "Affinity Pixels" crop up quite a bit when using Affinity Photo, so if you encounter any strange and unexpected results in your use of the program then Raterizing the layer can usually rectify any time and space discrepancies between your pixels and then the program will function as expected.

A bit like using a "Death star", but without the global warming issues :D 

• 4 weeks later...

This is apparently broken in v1.6 I have used it before but I can no longer add a picture and have it fill to the left. It does nothing

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

2 hours ago, toltec said:

Works for me  Windows 1.6

inpaint.jpg.e8eb9c62023fdb0c711eb9ff9b23e694.jpg

I expanded the canvas, rasterised the layer, selected the transparent area, then went Edit > Inpaint.

The force is with me.

Well that is different. I an trying to make the fill tool work

I load a picture, expand the canvas keeping the picture to the right. invoke the fill command with inpainting selected and nothing ...yes, I rasterized the layer

Edit  / Inpaint stays grayed out no matter what I do

Any ideas? Hand holding is welcome :D

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

14 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Well that is different. I an trying to make the fill tool work

I load a picture, expand the canvas keeping the picture to the right. invoke the fill command with inpainting selected and nothing ...yes, I rasterized the layer

Edit  / Inpaint stays grayed out no matter what I do

Any ideas? Hand holding is welcome :D

What do you mean by "fill tool"?  There is no tool. Just select the transparent area and use the menu, Edit > Inpaint.

Did you select the transparent area before trying to impaint ? I used the Magic Wand but there are other methods. Inpaint will be greyed out if you don't select the area.

selecttr.jpg

28 minutes ago, toltec said:

What do you mean by "fill tool"?  There is no tool. Just select the transparent area and use the menu, Edit > Inpaint.

Did you select the transparent area before trying to impaint ? I used the Magic Wand but there are other methods. Inpaint will be greyed out if you don't select the area.

Ohhhhhhh Kay it was between the chair and the keyboard. I had not selected the transparent area firs (including a few px of the picture itself) THEN ... [drum roll] ... if you don't rasterize it fades to the left and if you DO. you get a solid fill

Edit Inpaint seems to do what Edit FILL does. pleas correct me if there is a subtle difference or why one might use one over the ather

Anyway - thanks for the help! You are appreciated.

A copy of the edit menu with "Fill" is bnelow. I had nothing loaded so it is all grayed out

2017-11-05_12-07-56.png

CLINTE-120.jpg

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

16 minutes ago, Rick G said:

Edit Inpaint seems to do what Edit FILL does. 

Edit > Fill gives you a choice of a Solid fill or Inpainting

Edit > Inpaint save one or two menu clicks.

Alt + Backspace is the shortcut

The result is the same, either way.

Just now, toltec said:

Edit > Fill gives you a choice of a Solid fill or Inpainting

Edit > Inpaint save one or two menu clicks.

Alt + Backspace is the shortcut

The result is the same, either way.

Yep! Thanks again friend!

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png