You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pictures aren't showing up correctly once edited and posted.

Hi I started using Affinity Photo a few weeks ago and the quality is great but I've noticed that when I try and post the photos I've edited to Instagram or websites the photos are rejected or the thumbnail is black.  Instagram and the websites I post to are very important to my customers and how I get business so please help me fix this.  

When I export I do Jpeg and I lower the  quality to under 2MB which seemed to help until a file sized 1.92MB also didn't work.  Also when I post a picture on Instagram I have to now zoom in to get it to show up which usually cuts off my watermark.  It's not Instagram because I have the same issue on other sites and the same picture  edited through a different software works fine.

Two megabytes is huge for a JPEG image on a website! What are the original and final pixel dimensions of these images?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

For example one picture is 5184 x 3456 pixels before and after it's still the same pixels dimensions.. The unedited picture is 6.71MB and after it was 2.49MB.  Basically all of my pictures after just light editing are over 2MB if the Jpeg quality is around 90% or higher

I don’t use Instagram, but a quick search tells me that the maximum width is 1080 pixels and the maximum height is 1350 pixels for a portrait picture or 566 pixels for a landscape one. Once you’ve resized the image appropriately, try to get the export file size below 500 KB: you’ll probably find that a JPEG quality setting of 80% or even 75% looks acceptable, but just dropping to 85% instead of 90% should give you a significant reduction in file size without noticeable loss of picture quality.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As Alfred said, there are too many pixels in your images, so you will have to scale them down. But in addition, you could use an application called imageOptim for further file size reduction. Scale down your image to the appropriate size, export from Photo at 100% JPEG quality, and apply, for instance, the Guetzli algorithm in imageOptim at a quality setting of 90%. You will be amazed …

https://imageoptim.com/mac

Cheers,

Alex :)