You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to hide everything outside a shape?

For example, I have this circle and I need to make create a certain design in it. To make it less busy, I was looking for a way to hide everything outside the circle, so like that I could only see what's inside.

I was trying to figure how to use the mask, but I'm not sure how it works.

Thank you

snip_20171006145414.png

Hello Nic727,

Group the entire drawing except the circle (mask). In layers, mount the group thumbnail on the lower right of the circle thumbnail (you get a horizontal blue rectangle to the right of the thumbnail of the group).

If you do not want to see the outline of the circle appear, as in my example, do not put thickness a in its outline.

Masque.png

Im still somewhat unclear about everything a mask does, and how its done, but a mask can vary in intensity. When objects are placed into another, nest as children, it is complete. What is in the parent is visible, outside, not. With a mask the objects can visible by any amount from full to none, with gradations in between.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

ok, but what I mean is that.

How does it works? Now I understand that you can only take the shape and add it as a mask, but this mask icon like Affinity Photo is very weird. You can't work with that alone. When trying to do something, it add a new layer instead of drawing inside the mask.

snip_20171006160255.png

snip_20171006160311.png

snip_20171006160339.png

I do not know if this answers your question but if you have converted the shapes to curves, you can modify the shape of the mask using the tool "Node", and of course you can always move it.

Thank you

@reglico Your idea was good. I was just trying to understand the mask button

I finally found a video explaining the different type of mask. I now know that mask layer can only be edited in pixel persona. There is a lot of way to do mask in Designer and it look way easier than Illustrator. All is done almost instantly!