You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't get Affinity Photo to open images in Photos

Sorry if this is readily known/searchable, but I didn't find it (and am running out of time on my 10 day trial!).

I am running macOS High Sierra (10.13) and trying Affinity Photo 1.5.2. I right click a photo in Photos (Version 3.0 (3201.11.120)) and select "Edit With -> Other -> Affinity Photo Trial", it gives me a warning that editing in Affinity turns off Live Photo, and upon clicking OK, it pops up a dialog that says

The application “Affinity Photo Trial” cannot open the specified document or URL.

I'm assuming this is due to the new *.heif format, as it does work on *.jpg. I realize I can drag a photo out of Photos to my desktop or whatever, but this is an extra step or two. I'm bravely converting my 45,000 image library from Adobe LR and PS to Photos and maybe Affinity. I expected to give up some niceties, of course, but was hoping it wouldn't become a pain. 

Thoughts?

Frank

19 hours ago, Frank Furter said:

I'm assuming this is due to the new *.heif format, as it does work on *.jpg.

That seems to be a reasonable assumption - so far as I know there are no image editors that support HEIF (yet).

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Thanks for the input, maybe it's all for naught. I tried to do some basic editing techniques in Affinity, and while some keyboard shortcuts are the same, many or not. I don't have time to relearn everything, and certainly don't want to have to start dragging photos out of Photos just to open them again in Affinity. 

Great product, nice to see a PS competitor, but I've been using PS for too long to relearn it all. Maybe I'll check out Pixelmator instead and see if it matches up.

I like Pixelmator a lot, but it's not yet as "robust" as PS.  (PS has a big head start on Pixelmator and AP).

In case you haven't heard, the dev team has announced that Pixelmator Pro is coming "this Fall".

It looks as though they won't be announcing the pricing until some time closer to the actual release.  

Personally, I'm hoping that they aren't going to adopt a subscription model for this new app. That's a large part of why I want to say "adios, Adobe!"

As for learning a new interface - I hear you!

But all pain and frustration aside, it's good for us cognitively to keep challenging our minds.  At least, that's what I try to tell myself whenever I can't figure out how to get an app to do what I'm trying to get it to do!

:)

Great points, and I *really* want to like Affinity. The decider, though, was I also wanted to learn Illustrator, and to get Illustrator, you have to subscribe. If I'm going to get PS, might as well use it. 

It's unfortunate - I'm considering a career change into graphic design or something similar, and not many companies are requesting Affinity (or Pixelmator) experience. :)

I'd love to tell Adobe to stick it too, but for now, I have to maintain the status quo. I'll be watching from the sidelines. 

I'm with you - really rooting for Affinity.

I'm thinking that Affinity Publisher will help pull a lot more people over to Affinity when it comes out.

(Note to Affinity Developers - that is not meant to put any more "when is it coming out?" pressure on you.  I'd rather it be done right than pushed out before it is ready)

:79_smiley_cat:

Also - this is not meant as a dig to those of us who are jumping up and down in anticipation (with cat-like reflexes)!  :82_heart_eyes_cat:

• 3 weeks later...