You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smart Objects?

On 5/9/2017 at 8:58 PM, MEB said:

Hi mintcar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can achieve a similar result with embedded documents in Affinity apps. Just drag an Affinity Designer/Photo file over an open document to embed it. You can transform, apply adjustment's, effects etc to the embedded document while keeping its contents intact. To edit the embedded document, double-click it on canvas or select it in the Layers panel and click Edit Document in the context toolbar (with the Move Tool selected) to open it in a new document tab. Edit it to your hearts content then close the embedded document tab. All changes will be reflected in the original document.

Thanks for your valuable information. It will crucial for me.

Daniel Dixon

PHP Developer

I agree. If they would implement it, Affinity P could be the real PS-killer.

ROG-mini-22x13.pngASUS Gaming Laptop GL703GS CPU: i7-8750H,  RAM: 32GB DDR4@2666,  Gfx: GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, Screen: G-Sync AUO B173HAN03.2 17" 1080p 144Hz, HD: SSD + NVMe,  Audio: Realtek HD (ALC295),  Controllers: Hori Fighting Stick Mini, XBox One bt controller, ROG Strix Carry wireless/bt mouse.

• 5 months later...

Just got an e-mail about the spring sale, but I'm still squatting on the fence mostly because of this thread subject. I do quite a bit of mockup work, so I'm curious if something similar to the PS smart object feature will be built into Affinity?

1 minute ago, Dr. Dave said:

Just got an e-mail about the spring sale, but I'm still squatting on the fence mostly because of this thread subject. I do quite a bit of mockup work, so I'm curious if something similar to the PS smart object feature will be built into Affinity?

Affinity Designer has symbols which essentially work like symbols in Illustrator or Smart Objects in Photoshop. Anything added inside the layer structure of the symbol updates with all the same symbols located elsewhere in the document. 

For example, create a symbol of your artwork then add a shirt, mug and poster to your canvas. Then position your duplicate symbols to the print locations for each item. You can then edit anyone of the symbols (the internal layer structure within the symbol) and they'll update live (without having to save your .psb like with Smart Objects). I find it far better workflow wise because you're seeing the changes live.

• 3 months later...

@Dr. Dave adding an unrelated question to an existing thread is likely to get lost or be ignored.

In future I suggest starting your own post in the correct forum (Affinity Questions rather than the archived Photo v1.7 Beta forum).

Did you search the help for Displacement?

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Filters/filter_displace.html

Or the forum?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2017 at 1:46 PM, RNKLN said:

Not sure, but i get the impression that people are looking for a different software packages that works the same as their current software package.  :(

I think the way of "instance Objects" it is a standard solution I need. I do'nt need that work in same way. But I need that for mockUps and others works pipelines.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.