Hi. Could someone point me to a resource which will show me how to make a background gradually out of focus. I have searched and found a video on circular bokeh but that's not what I am trying to do. Any help much appreciated.

Sounds like you want the Depth of Field Filter (it's available as a destructive filter or a nondestructive Live Filter). Have a play around with it, maybe google some tutorials specific to it, and then ask for further help if required.

Thank you. I'll have a search for a tutorial. There doesn't appear to be a specific video for that filter so I guess it's contained in another video. I'll keep searching.

Here's a brief description of a method for use when the initial image contains a foreground subject that is to remain in focus while the background blurs with distance.

Duplicate the initial image layer so there are two of it in the layer stack.

Using the top one, isolate the foreground subject with a mask.

Duplicate that masked image so there are now three of the image in the stack.

Invert the mask of the middle image so the foreground subject is hidden in it, and attach the Depth of Field live filter to that masked image.

Adjust the DoF filter's controls to achieve the desired blurring of the background.

Here is an example I posted in another thread, and you can see the layer stack in it:

On 28/07/2017 at 0:46 AM, owenr said:

The greyscale image used in the Photoshop video was not used as a mask; it was used as a depth map. A depth map defines the varying degree of blurring to apply at each location in the image, whereas the AP versions in this thread have been using a mask to control the opacity of a layer that has a constant degree of blurring. The Photoshop result is clearly (pun not intended) more convincing in the way the blur becomes greater as the scene recedes. We can use AP's Depth of Field Blur filter to produce a similar result. The example below uses a quick and dirty mask since I was only working with a screenshot posted earlier in this thread.

Before:

597a772bdcbdf_dofbefore.thumb.png.9f53a8869540af3a510723209c5a55c4.png

After:

597a784b7fdc7_dofafter.thumb.png.bf228cd516fc2b976024ef2fcff3d359.png

That is exactly the effect I want to achieve and with a foreground subject too! Thanks. I am a novice with AP so it may take me a while but I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Another I posted in the same thread. It has a file attached which may help you:

On 28/07/2017 at 1:53 PM, owenr said:

I have masked with the alpha you created instead of making masks from scratch, and get this result from Depth of Field filter:

597b3a1c88eef_newscreenshot.thumb.png.cc0b331923882ce0eae8619a8e75aeea.png

File is attached, too.

new toltec dof.afphoto