GrahamMYC

Problem with healing brush (AP.1.5.2.69)

Problem exists on AP 1.5.2 o/s Windows 10

symptoms

1: Healing brush works in unusual way causing an effect over an area much wider than set brush width.

2; This has persisted despite using the repair feature of the instal download (twice); and after uninstalling completely and reinstalling

3: I have tested the identical operation 1with AP 1.6.0.84 beta, and it works fine

This fault appeared quite suddenly, the healing brish having worked perfectly all morning. The fault is reproducible,  a screen grab vdeo is attached

Help and advie requested, please.

HealingBrushFault.mp4

Hi GrahamMYC

With all brushes that have a low hardness value the feathering goes beyond what the circular brush cursor shows. This has been raised before but apparently it is intentional I'm afraid

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thanks Chris_K, but that does not seem to be the issue. I have tried reducing the brush hardness and it still corrupts the image. I think I have a file corruption somewhere. Uninstalling and reinstalling has not soved the problem, so there must be a common or reference file that is surviving that change. How can I find it, neutralise it, or reset it?

As it is clear that my previous explanations have not been adequate to explain the problem, I have made a new video. (In the meantime I have tried using factory resets as advised by Serif, without success)

The new video shows that the healing brush is working as expected in the AP 1.6 beta, but goes wrong when I try exactly the same settings on the same photo in AP 1.5. I also show that related functions (i.e. blemish removal) appear to be working in 1.5.

IF there is a file corruption, then I should be able to get round that by re-installing AP 1,5. But that does not work either.

Help!!!!

Revised_HealingBrush_vid.mp4

Edited by GrahamMYC
video did not work

Hi Graham.

Thanks for the video, that does explain the issue better. If it seems to be working fine in 1.6 it may be something with inadvertently fixed along the way, however I'm not able to recreate this in 1.5 either. there must be something we're missing that triggers this. Are you using a mouse or a pen and tablet input? Can you give any spec for your system such as OS, graphics card etc.

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Chris_K

I am quite prepared to unistal and reinstal if it will do any good (I still suspect a datafile that is survivngthe process). In the meantime, however, here is the information you reuested (see attachment)

The computer ihas a huon tablet, but it was not attached. Otherwise I use a   3 button wheel mouse.

Rgeards

Graham

GrahamMYC PC.docx

I've not experienced this issue, however is it possible that the brush you're using for the Healing Brush tool has been inadvertently changed to one that has random size jitter set for example?

With the Healing Brush tool selected it may be worth clicking the 'More' button next to the 'Hardness' in the top context tool bar and checking the brush settings.  In particular, under the 'Dynamics' tab make sure all the jitter settings are set to 'None' (especially 'Size Jitter').

If all the settings look OK, if you go to the Brushes Panel > Basic Brushes, does the problem still occur if you select the standard 128px hard round brush (still with the Healing Brush tool active), then afterwards change the settings back to 85px/45% hardness in the top context tool bar like you currently have set?

001.png.9b7bffcaa9a1aeba494497907139438c.png

Chris_K

I think I may have found the answer. It was your question about the pen that started the train f thought. I had not tested the fault using the pen on the Huion tablet. I did try, and got exactly the same result. But on one occasion the brush size jumped up to some big number, and I noticed that the brush was set to a texture brush -something like grunge 3. I changed the brush type to a basic brush. Problem solved. I checked that this also worked with the mouse. It did.

I would be interested to know if you can now reproduce the fault in AP 1.5!

I wonder how long it would have taken us to logically work thru to that solution if I had not noticed the brush type by chance? Still it is a useful thing to know. It is (of course!) self evident that tools like clone and healing brush need a solid brush nozzle, so obvious that no one would think to suggest this should be checked! Perhaps a note needs to added to help files? This result would also explain why the blemish removal tools works as this is not dependent ona user defined brush.

Anyway, many thanks for your time, and your patience.