You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Assistant for Inpainting Tool

With many of the tools in Affinity Photo, the assistant will automatically switch the layer to rasterized for the tool to work. Could this be done for the inpainting tool? Twice now I've sat there thinking, why doesn't this work? I'll switch to the clone brush and the assistant changes the layer to rasterized and then the inpainting tool works. I've now learned my lesson, but others might not be so quick to catch on that the layer needs to be converted first.

This has been discussed in (at least!) two or three previous threads. As it stands, sometimes the Assistant automatically adds a new pixel layer or rasterizes the current layer, sometimes you get a warning that the layer needs to be rasterized, and sometimes (as in the case of the Inpainting Brush Tool) nothing happens at all. The latter should never happen, but I suspect that not all users would appreciate automatic creation of a pixel layer, so I guess the obvious answer would be a Preferences setting for this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, who8mypnuts said:

Ah! Didn't realize it had been discussed before. Yes, it would be good for the default behavior not to be "nothing".

Surely "nothing" is precisely the behaviour that you don't want!

7 hours ago, who8mypnuts said:

Twice now I've sat there thinking, why doesn't this work?

It seems to me that "automatic" in all cases would be the most helpful default, since it would allow functions such as inpainting to work straight away. However, although it could easily be undone if required, some users might find it annoying, which is why I suggested that the three options ("Automatic", "Warn", "Do nothing") should be available under Preferences.

Alfred spacer.png

21 hours ago, who8mypnuts said:

Twice now I've sat there thinking, why doesn't this work? 

HAHA ... mine is masks. I make a mask then paint and paint and nothing happens. I check the mask and some other things before realizing that I did not select the brush.

One would think that hitting "B" would not be so difficult even after spilling a drink into my keyboard yesterday 

... and it will probably happen again today

LOL hehehe.gif

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

14 hours ago, trksnoos said:

it would be great that it do nothing just pop out a bubble  with comment "if you want to in paint do you want to rasterize?" then you can chose yes no.

Yes, the little bubble idea might not be bad. At least it would keep me from thinking that the program is broken.

3 hours ago, who8mypnuts said:
17 hours ago, trksnoos said:

it would be great that it do nothing just pop out a bubble  with comment "if you want to in paint do you want to rasterize?" then you can chose yes no.

Yes, the little bubble idea might not be bad. At least it would keep me from thinking that the program is broken.

Agreed. That's what I meant by "Warn". :)

Alfred spacer.png