You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

GarryP

For no particular reason, other than to try something different, I thought I'd put together a 1980's-style computer magazine advert.

The checklist of features that I wanted to include was:
* Dodgy theme that doesn't really suit the product;
* "Dolly-bird" dressed slightly inappropriately;
* Incredibly dull picture of computer;
* Strange choice of typefaces;
* Loads of text that doesn't say much.

It was just a silly experiment - and, if you hadn't guessed already, it's supposed to look naff - but if anyone has suggestions for improvements I might try another one at some point in the future.

P.S. Fans of a certain 1980's sci-fi film might also get the extra bonus nerdy reference.

AhoyThere.jpg

Thanks A_B_C.

ITC Bookman is a great choice and would go really well with this. I'll have to look for something similar that's free (I'm still rebuilding my stash of fonts since moving over to Windows from Mac last year).

If anyone is interested, the serif fonts that I used were Georgia - for "Ahoy..." and "Totally..." with Cambria for the body text and "...has just sailed in".

I've stayed away from Cambria until now but it's starting to grow on me as a body text font. The characters are nicely distinguishable from each other and it's still readable on-screen at very small sizes. I've read that some people don't like it but each to their own.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

ITC Bookman is a great choice and would go really well with this. I'll have to look for something similar that's free (I'm still rebuilding my stash of fonts since moving over to Windows from Mac last year).

TeX Gyre Bonum is a free Bookman lookalike.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Many thanks Alfred.

It looks great and saves me a lot of time looking around. (And money too, there's no way I could justify spending £30 on a single typeface.)

The Regular variant looks a little bit thinner than the Bookman Medium variant but it's easily good enough for what I would want it for.

Now I've just got to try and remember that I've installed it.