You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pasted Selection is Offset

Starting in beta 1.6.0.84, When I select an object and paste it as a new layer the object is shifted to the left yet the selection "ants" stay with the original selection

Chucky.png

2620.Jpg

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• Staff

Hey Rick G,

I believe we made this change recently because users were pasting but failed to notice the paste as it was in the same position leading users to believe the paste hadn't worked, so we decided to paste it slightly offset. It works for some people but not everyone. I'm not sure if we will decide to keep it this way as we've been hearing a bit of extra noise since the change. I'll pass your comments on though. 

If that's a permanent change we definitely need a Paste in Place command

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

53 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey Rick G,

I believe we made this change recently because users were pasting but failed to notice the paste as it was in the same position leading users to believe the paste hadn't worked, so we decided to paste it slightly offset. It works for some people but not everyone. I'm not sure if we will decide to keep it this way as we've been hearing a bit of extra noise since the change. I'll pass your comments on though. 

I am not quick to call something "bad" but if that is in there by design ... it is pretty bad. It has a use for only the most basic user. The problem would be better solved with an arrow showing the new layer or something like that. Now I have to investigate what effect this has on masking and God knows what else.

I imagine this could be a deal breaker for some. This is pretty bad behavior

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey Rick G,

I'm not a fan of moving the paste, much prefer the AD way where paste remains in place. It makes working with pasted objects so much easier - it's simple when you know this is the app behaviour, a simple check in the Layers' Panel will show what has happened.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

I would think this would be a major put-off for new customers. I do a lot of cutting out and pasting to a new layer. It freaked me out! I was looking all over for what setting I might have invoked to cause a copy to paste half off the screen;  It is making a lot of extra work that is for sure

Serif Marketing: What is the expected reaction to your statements that this is a photoshop replacement and then the photoshop users run into this?

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff

I believe it is similar to what we did in PhotoPlus. Paste as New Layer would paste the object offset and I think this is what our old customers were asking for. Whether it is the right decision or not is up to development. We are not a Photoshop clone.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

I believe it is similar to what we did in PhotoPlus. Paste as New Layer would paste the object offset and I think this is what our old customers were asking for. Whether it is the right decision or not is up to development. We are not a Photoshop clone.

I think I used the word replacement. When it first came out your staff said (at first)  it was a  PhotoPlus replacement but then changed when all the tools were missing in Affinity *cutout studio etc)

That feature might not be so bad if there is a chance to turn it OFF when precision work is needed but why in God's name was such a bug introduced in the first place? Seriously, I do not understand

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff

As far as I know, we've never insinuated it was a replacement for PhotoPlus but an entirely new app completely separate of the Plus range. One of the Windows developers came through earlier and said he wants to change the current behaviour from how it is now back to how it was (placing it in the same place you cut/copied it from) so I'll update this thread once I've had official feedback from the Windows lead. 

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Doesn’t ‘Paste as New Layer’ simply paste in the top left-hand corner of the image, Chris? If you want to put a copy of a selected region directly on top of the original in PhotoPlus you can use ‘New Layer From Selection Copy’ (which has the same effect, of course, as ‘Duplicate’ in the Affinity apps).

54 minutes ago, Chris B said:

As far as I know, we've never insinuated it was a replacement for PhotoPlus but an entirely new app completely separate of the Plus range.

I think the ‘replacement’ confusion arose because your sales staff were telling customers that PhotoPlus was being replaced (in the product lineup) by Affinity Photo, and this was perceived as being no different from replacing PhPX7 with PhPX8.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Doesn’t ‘Paste as New Layer’ simply paste in the top left-hand corner of the image, Chris? If you want to put a copy of a selected region directly on top of the original in PhotoPlus you can use ‘New Layer From Selection Copy’ (which has the same effect, of course, as ‘Duplicate’ in the Affinity apps).

I think the ‘replacement’ confusion arose because your sales staff were telling customers that PhotoPlus was being replaced (in the product lineup) by Affinity Photo, and this was perceived as being no different from replacing PhPX7 with PhPX8.

That was the case when they first released and were presenting it as a replacement. I was corrected when I went looking for the cutout studio ... :D

There are a lot action out there where Affinity products are being compared with their Adobe counterparts as less expensive replacements. I hope the marketing people help Serif to stay focused on this little comparison goldmine and not get too far off the reservation with the oddities or if someone is invested in them, make a way out so workflows can stay clean

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

The issue I've got is that to do really accurate editing you need an exact paste match, nothing to do with how other software works. Loosing that functionality is a mistake (frankly a big misjudgement imo). Please don't make it a separate additional command make it a preferences option if you really feel the need.

51 minutes ago, harrym said:

The issue I've got is that to do really accurate editing you need an exact paste match, nothing to do with how other software works. Loosing that functionality is a mistake (frankly a big misjudgement imo). Please don't make it a separate additional command make it a preferences option if you really feel the need.

Amen to that. I cut out 3 sections from a photo and pasted to a new layer. I kept turning layers on and off as all that seemed to be on the new layer were the selection andts.. It had pasted it OFF THE CANVAS which I found by zooming out and no longer had any connection to the"selection"

I could have cried 

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

On 10/5/2017 at 6:27 AM, Chris B said:

As far as I know, we've never insinuated it was a replacement for PhotoPlus but an entirely new app completely separate of the Plus range. One of the Windows developers came through earlier and said he wants to change the current behaviour from how it is now back to how it was (placing it in the same place you cut/copied it from) so I'll update this thread once I've had official feedback from the Windows lead. 

This behavior is still in beta 1.6.0.85. Do you have any news?

I can envision uses for offset pasting but as a rule it makes a mess for my workflow but an OPTION to invoke (or suppress) that behavior would work

Also as to not insinuating it is a photoshop  replacement. All your advertising and some of the tutorials suggest just that - the Affinity family is a less expensive alternatives to Photoshop and Illustrator. The more you deviate from the workflow of those programs the less of a contender you will be. You may find yourselves basically back to Photoplus (a great program for sure,  but not a contender for the Adobe market)

Thanks

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff

Any news would be available on the patch notes with each beta. If something isn't mentioned, you can assume it hasn't been fixed. Development prioritise their own issues which we have no control over unfortunately. I'm sure they will get around to addressing at some point. 

Thanks Chris

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

This seems to be fixed in 1.6.0.86

Thanks!

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.