You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

On the layer of the slice of bread I have a layer mask selected. With the paintbrush I did a stroke. The brush is set at 100 % Opacity, 100 % Flux and almost 100 % Hardness. The bread under the stroke disappear but not completely. After several times, it stays some pixels of the bread. What is it happening?

Infinity Photo explication.png

Thank you very, very much, Sima!

We are in the core of that subject. In another software I used D to put by default the colour Black and White (for painting on the mask). I look for how could I do that in Infinity and I still don't know.

Plus, in the other software, when we click on the layer mask, automatically the Black and White colours appear.

Oups!

Check the new picture. I think the pure Black is there and with a paint stroke the result is not conclusive. The brush was 100 % opacity, 100 % flux and 95 % hardness. What happens?

Thank you again.

Capture d’écran 2017-10-04 à 09.49.34.png

1 hour ago, Jac Mat said:

Check the new picture. I think the pure Black is there and with a paint stroke the result is not conclusive. The brush was 100 % opacity, 100 % flux and 95 % hardness. What happens?

Yeah, that's odd.  The brush colour is black, but it's still showing the green colour next to the opacity (opacité) slider, so something isn't right.

Looking at the mask thumbnail in the layers panel, it's also showing grey instead of black, therefore it looks like the brush is still painting with the green colour even though you have black selected.

I've just tried to reproduce it here, but am unable to.  Also I can't think of a situation where the colour selected in the colour panel and the colour next to the opacity slider should differ, so I'm thinking maybe it could be a bug.  If you paint on a normal pixel layer with the brush tool when it's like this, does it paint black or green?

Perhaps it's something that resetting Affinity Photo back to the default settings would cure, but I don't know.  Alternatively if you upload either the file or a test file with the same issue I'll open it and see if I can reproduce it here.

001.png.ec38fc7c4d1b288045df7babcc8cb7f5.png

Hi, Sima and thank you for the support.

I painted with the "main colour" black, like you showed me on your image and it paints in charcoal, (black but with a transparency.

I quit Affinity and reopen it with a new document. Same settings for the brush : 100 % opacity, 100 % Flux. Look at the picture, it's grey.

How could I do to get back at the default settings?

Note, I modify one thing in the short-cut menu and I reinitiate this menu. Same thing continue. My brush still paint in grey.

Capture d’écran 2017-10-04 à 12.52.07.png

Capture d’écran 2017-10-04 à 12.54.40.png

6 hours ago, Sima said:

Yeah, that's odd.  The brush colour is black, but it's still showing the green colour next to the opacity (opacité) slider, so something isn't right.

I had never noticed this before but at least on the Mac 1.5.2 version, the color dot next to the opacity slider does not update immediately when I change the color in the Color panel

So for example, if I select the Flood Fill Tool (the paint bucket) & change the color in the Studio color panel, the opacity dot does not change color to agree with the large color circle above it. I can then flood fill on the canvas & the opacity color dot still does not update, but if I first click (again) on the Flood Fill Tool in the Tools panel, it does. I get similar results with the Paint Brush Tool, or when the Move or other tools are selected.

This appears to be a cosmetic defect only -- it always uses the color shown in the large color dot, whether the small one is showing the same color or not.

59d55b9153c4f_opacitycolor.png.2ff9e04b7c70f82dabe94a582c9dc3a8.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I had never noticed this before but at least on the Mac 1.5.2 version, the color dot next to the opacity slider does not update immediately when I change the color in the Color panel

I recall @IsabelAracama reporting a similar problem with gradient colour stops a few months ago. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Edit: This is the thread I was thinking of. Reviewing it now, it looks like a different issue.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

When the OP posted the last screenshot showing the brush in a new blank document I almost posted the same as Owen, as that was also the only way I was able to reproduce it here.  I couldn't figure out though why Accumulation would cause the screenshot above it (which was also on a normal pixel layer) to paint black when green was selected in the colour panel. 

At the time I was wondering whether it was somehow something to do with the document profile because the two screenshots where the colours were wrong were using 'RVBA/8 - Display' document profiles, whereas the two screenshots that were showing correctly were both using 'RVBA/8 - sRGB IEC61966-2.1' document profiles.  However it still didn't make much sense to me, so I was scratching my head a bit with that one.  But from what you're saying it sounds like the colour panel needs fixing on the Mac version, which would make sense.

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

I recall @IsabelAracama reporting a similar problem with gradient colour stops a few months ago. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Edit: This is the thread I was thinking of. Reviewing it now, it looks like a different issue.

Ah yes, I remember that from her retro vid as well.  >:(:)