You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I've tried to search for this on the forum and internet, also in the help files in affinity photo, so if this has been asked before, I'm sorry. and please send me a link to the answer.

I tried to ask via twitter but they havent answered me.

I need to know if and how I can scan/open a new file, with more then 400 dpi. 

I need to send something in to a publisher and they require the pictures to be scanned in at least 1200 dpi. 

I've looked but I can't figure it out. 

if anyone can help me I'd be very grateful, even if the answer is that it's not possible. 

Thank you

Scanner resolution is usually set using an interface provided by the software that comes with the scanner. Affinity Photo for Mac has an "Acquire Image" item on the file menu that will use that interface if it is compatible with the version of the Mac OS running on the computer, but as I understand it this is not an option for the Windows version because of some issues with scanner support in Windows.

For either OS, it usually is possible to use the provided software interface with some other app, often one also provided by the manufacturer of the scanner, to capture the image at any supported resolution & then open the file in Affinity Photo.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Avihenda said:

I need to know if and how I can scan/open a new file, with more then 400 dpi. 

I need to send something in to a publisher and they require the pictures to be scanned in at least 1200 dpi. 

Mac or PC?

Photo can certainly open it, no matter what resolution it is.

If your scanner can scan at 1200, on a PC, use a free program like Irfanview or Faststone Image viewer (free for non-commercial use) which will scan it. Then just save it and load it into Photo.

I don't know about Mac software.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

17 minutes ago, toltec said:

I don't know about Mac software.

For Macs, scanner driver compatibility with the OS version in use is the only major issue I know of. I have an old all-in-one Canon printer/scanner that will not work with the "Acquire Image" item in Affinity Photo or with Apple's Image Capture or similar apps because Canon stopped providing compatible scanner drivers for it for OS versions later than Snow Leopard.

1 minute ago, Avihenda said:

I need to open the picture and edit it, then re-save it. Any way to make sure it's re-saved in the same dpi it was opened in, even if saved in another format?

Unless you change the DPI in Affinity Photo it should retain that same value.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7