You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unit for exposure adjustment

Hi !

can someone give me details about the unit of the differents tonal adjustments and mainly the exposure. I mean, when I set the cursor on -2, is it -2eV ?

Best Regards

System : i5 6600 QuadCore 3.3GHz, Gigabyte Z170 HD3 DDR4, 32 Gb DDR Ballistix Sport LT, MSI Aero ITX GTX 1050Ti, Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Ok...  I've always find that the exposure tuning in Affinity give weird results, By weird, I mean when decreasing the exposure, the result looks more like I am graying the photo instead of darkening it (Am I clear ?). In the past, I've been using Lightroom 4 and I'm pretty sure that the exposure slider didn't work the same.

To be sure, I decided to make a comparison with another powerful software. Since I'm not a Lightroom user anymore, I decided to compare Affinity with ON1 photo Raw. I took one of my photos. In each software, I removed any color curve or lens and noise correction. I just set the exposure slider to -2EV. The result is clear. With Affinity, there is a loss of contrast and details. The image is darker but flatten.... The sky is gray, not blue.

On the contrary, when increasing the exposure up to 2EV, Affinity performs better than ON1.

I had a last test with the free Rawtherapee. The results are almost the same than the ones with Affinity.

Don't really know what to think about that !

Results with Affinity Photo 1.5.2

Affinity_-2EV.jpg

Affinity_+2EV.jpg

Results with ON1 Photo Raw 2017.6

ON1 Photo Raw_+2EV.jpg

ON1 Photo Raw_-2EV.jpg

Results with Rawtherapee

Rawtherapee_+2EV.jpg

Rawtherapee_-2EV.jpg

System : i5 6600 QuadCore 3.3GHz, Gigabyte Z170 HD3 DDR4, 32 Gb DDR Ballistix Sport LT, MSI Aero ITX GTX 1050Ti, Windows 10 Pro 64bits