You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am more of a beginner than the tutorials can teach.

Yes, you read that correctly.  I just bought Affinity Designer and I can't even get started.  The tutorials all seem to be "take this and then do this."  Or even "click here to export."  Export?  Isn't that what one country does with another to stimulate trade?

So, yeah, where can I find a tutorial that is more basic and starting from a point that someone who has never used any type of program even remotely like this can understand?

I hope y'all forgive me for this!

Hi, DrivingZiggy

You need to learn some fundamentals that apply to all graphics applications.  Try a search on "introduction to vector graphics" & "introduction to bitmap graphics." You will get a framework, a scaffolding, that lets you get a grasp on what every application, nor just AD, is doing.

Learn the basic vocabulary that has been in use for about 35 years. Understand really simple words like "anti-aliasing." For the time being, don't bother w. import and export, which require knowledge of file formats.

Don't suppose you will make anything useful anytime soon. Just play. Start a new document. Start using the pen or pencil tool. Make some blobs. Read the help on "strokes" and "fills." Mess w.the blobs you drew by using the node tool. Note, nodes are something you will need to understand. Switch to the Pixel Persona, and create a new pixel layer (piece of paper.) Dabble with the brush, and see what happens. That is, in the tool option bar, change quantities like opacity and hardness. Build up some experience based intuition.

Try out the artistic text tool so you can make some signs. 

Assuming you've got the time, you are going to learn so much, and have even more fun.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

On 3.10.2017 at 10:27 PM, DrivingZiggy said:

Yes, you read that correctly.  I just bought Affinity Designer and I can't even get started.  The tutorials all seem to be "take this and then do this."  Or even "click here to export."  Export?  Isn't that what one country does with another to stimulate trade?

So, yeah, where can I find a tutorial that is more basic and starting from a point that someone who has never used any type of program even remotely like this can understand?

I hope y'all forgive me for this!

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/44836-very-basic-things-tutorial-write-up/

this is more photo specific but if you may take a look and post a precise question I'd probably add that to the list of "easy explanations"

hope that helps 

On 10/4/2017 at 6:12 PM, gdenby said:

You need to learn some fundamentals that apply to all graphics applications.  Try a search on "introduction to vector graphics" & "introduction to bitmap graphics." You will get a framework, a scaffolding, that lets you get a grasp on what every application, nor just AD, is doing.

Learn the basic vocabulary that has been in use for about 35 years. Understand really simple words like "anti-aliasing." For the time being, don't bother w. import and export, which require knowledge of file formats.

I was using "export" as an example of my lack of knowledge of the vocabulary.  But you seem to have understood my point.  So my next step is to study some vocabulary!

On 10/5/2017 at 2:57 AM, MBd said:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/44836-very-basic-things-tutorial-write-up/

this is more photo specific but if you may take a look and post a precise question I'd probably add that to the list of "easy explanations"

hope that helps 

Thanks!  I have also managed to stumble across Miguel Boto and find him tremendously helpful.

yeah totally understand your point, I've been there as well :226_penguin:

MEB is the leading moderator so to say, but yeah, very helpful and friendly indeed 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/23975-affinity-meet-the-team/

here is a good/ funny/ informal  overview of the team 

and another one of the community 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41611-affinity-meet-the-community/

although this one is very silent, hope I did not disturb all :D

• 4 weeks later...