You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

COMMENTARY : Competition

I've been with Affinity since its beginning when Designer was still in beta, and I absolutely love Photo and Designer with all its shortcomings but more for its advancements in graphics software. It's fast, smart, and in my opinion better than Photoshop. But I feel we are still behind. Not because a lack of features or something like that..not sure why. I think its in the refinement of things. At this point in the software race (and it is a race--just look at all the software companies that want a piece of the Adobe pie) and recalling the news of all the other software that is still coming (publisher, DAM, etc.), I can't help but to feel that Affinity might lose its stronghold on Adobe abandoners. Feels like we're sputtering along now. I mean Designer was starting to be held above Sketch and Photo skyrocketed to the top of Photoshop for many reasons BUT.....And I will say it....one of my eyes is on Pixelmator Pro. All of their under the hood refinements is what I fear most for Affinity. Its looking pretty refined. Time will tell. I don't want them to be the new Photoshop, I want Photo to be the new Photoshop, but if they're working on a really solid Pro version, they may become the Procreate of Digital drawing that in my opinion has ultimately surpassed Photoshop's brush engine. I mean Procreate 4 is just awesome. To me nothing is going to beat Procreate, although Pixelmator Pro new brush engine looks enticing! Have you seen the fluidness of Procreate's brushes?!! If you haven't you should. I want Affinity to be just as awesome in its realm. Should we be worried? In this day in age it takes a month or so to be old news. 

Like I posted in the title, these are my opinions. I just didn't know where to post these types comments. I welcome others to give their thoughts. 

• Staff

Great, but how do I enter the competition? ;)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I've been trying not to jump on the criticism ship, as a lot of older users have started to I think. But I am admittedly beginning to become a teeny bit frustrated with the prioritisation and release cadence. You guys achieve some immense things, in the last year or so you've release both products on windows and photo on iOS, impressive stuff. Designer 1.6 is shaping up nicely, but I'd love to see a bit of time spent on refinements rather than new tools. Improving little UI quirks and inconsistencies and adding loads of those little edge case and minor features that would just improve quality of life.

Pixelmator pro does look quite awesome, it's the first I've heard of it too.

There is certainly some competition, not only for Photo but also for Designer (Pxelmator is working on a vector thing, ACDsee is pushing their Draw and there's off course Sketch and Graphic).

However, none of the currently existing first versions has convinced and exited me as much as the Affinity suite (can't say anything about the brushes, just use tehm very occasionally).

I am a bit wary about Pixelmator Pro though -- their first 'regular' Pixelmator in 2011 was awesome, but since version 2 they have somewhat missed the mark with their UI and intuitiveness. I'm mot counting on this to be really good, despite the advertising looking very polished.

The only thing that I'm afraid of, is, that Serif overestimated itself and bites more off than they can chew -- on the other hand, being on macOS AND Windows with 100% compatible files is an important advantage, all direct competitors don't have.

I for one will stay with Affinity and support Serif as much as I can (beta testing, purchasing the software, upvoting, following and recommending the programs), because I feel they have the best overall concept of an integrated suite.

• 2 months later...

Pixelmator Pro will have it's audience but from what I can tell (can't try it as I am not ready to upgrade to High Sierra) there are some significant limitations not mentioned in the slick video.

In my opinion Affinity remains the best PS replacement candidate.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey