You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Turn photo into digital painting

This is probably in the wrong location but it's been a while since I've used a forum. 

Does Affinity Designer have the ability to turn a photo into a digital painting? I found many videos showing this ability using Adobe Illustrator (see video below). 

I didn't bother to look at the vid, 'cause I'm pretty sure it is an example of how to use a trace function. AD doesn't do that at this point. FWIW, its possible to get much the same using (free) Inkscape to do the trace, and adjusting the results in AD. BTW, notice the loss of the lower eye lashes on the left side of the trace. Less than an ideal transcription.

If you want to see some real art, go over to the forum section "Share your work" and look at what user bodobe has done. Its really fine vector art, not just vectorizing a photo.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

The video is for Photoshop, not Illustrator. Affinity Photo is the Affinity app most like Photoshop, not Affinity Designer, which is more like Illustrator.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 hours ago, nadavis said:

This is probably in the wrong location but it's been a while since I've used a forum. 

Does Affinity Designer have the ability to turn a photo into a digital painting? I found many videos showing this ability using Adobe Illustrator (see video below). 

There is specialized software for that. So much faster and easier to use and the results will be better. As gdenby says, the example you posted is not very good.

http://www.cartoonize.net

Cheap to buy or get it done on the web for free.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

@gdenby & @toltec

Please note that the video shows how to use Photoshop, not Illustrator, to achieve this effect. (The title is "Photoshop: How to transform photograph into digital painting.)

The effect is achieved using filters, adjustment layers, layer blending, the dodge tool, etc. Most of these items are available in Affinity Photo (not Designer!) or have near equivalents that will do about the same thing. (Affinity Photo lacks a film grain filter but one of the free NIK collection plugins may work for that.)

I know that somewhere I have seen a video demonstrating a somewhat different way to create a similar effect using only Affinity Photo's built-in tools, but of course I can't find it now. :(

Anyway, using filters, adjustments, etc. in AP (or PS) gives users lots of control over what the final image will look like, & at least for AP almost all of it can be done non-destructively (& more efficiently than in the PS video), so to answer the OP's question is Affinity Designer can't do this but Affinity Photo can.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
On 10/4/2017 at 9:21 AM, toltec said:

There is specialized software for that. So much faster and easier to use and the results will be better. As gdenby says, the example you posted is not very good.

http://www.cartoonize.net

Cheap to buy or get it done on the web for free.

Link to the online tool: http://www.cartoonize.net/FXCartoonizer/?img=http://cartoonize.net/FXCartoonizer/Sample/Original/sample1.jpg

Some of my photos look really cool with my favourite effect #4, but sadly most do not.

I go with R C-R here. I also somehow doubt that they implemented very smart algorithms to achieve those effects. There must be a combination of adjustment & effect layers to get an similar result in Affinity Photo. And this is the interesting question. :D

By not I tried every photo to cartoon converter I found (including Pic-to-Painting from PSP 2019) and effect #4 of this tool is seriously far better than any other tool I found. Try it with your photos. I'd love to know what combination of layers gives this result. :17_heart_eyes:

Edit: To be sarcastic I want to add that the worthy product is "FX Cartoonizer Express" (a batch version) since there is only one good effect, there is no customizing of settings and converting all pictures in a batch and simply select the ones where the effect has a positive outcome would be a timesaver

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471