You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export PNG without transparent or extended layer

When uploading a PNG file (vs jpg) I haven't been able to keep the image from uploading without an extended padded layer. Sometimes it's transparent, sometimes it has a color.

The image site I upload to gives me the option convert my PNG to jpg & removing the "padding." 

However, I lose having the benefits of a more detailed PNG file.

How can I eliminate the extra space around my finished image before uploading?

I've tried clipping the canvas, flattening then clipping, rasterizing then clipping, and probably a few other random things (smiles).

Hope ya'll can help - thanks!

Adan

IMG_0115.PNG

Callum, thanks! The file is in my iCloud Drive and the "choose files" below only will load from Photos. I can try to move the file to Photos but not sure it'll stay a png. Looks like it converted to a jpg.

Below is the png via "Insert other media - Insert Image from url"

The link, in case this helps, is - oops, looks like it posted the image. I can't seem to post the link to it on Wordpress without it posting the image.

Let me know if there's another way if needed to send you the image (email, etc). Thank you so much for looking into this for me. The png image quality is so much better than via jpg for my purposes (print sales, etc) but I can't seem to get rid of the extended padding (transparent or in color) in Affinity Photo. 

Adan

dusk-is-lit-stowe-community-church.png .

dusk-is-lit-stowe-community-church.png

Dusk Is Lit - Stowe Community Church.png

• Staff

Hi Adan, 

I cant see any of the padding you have posted about. Does the padding show in Photos on your iPad when you view the exported image?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

No, only when I upload to the image site. They say there's a transparent background included, and they can leave it for imaging products (mugs, totes, etc) but not the fine art prints.

I've tried selecting opaque only then clipping the canvas, and it seems that once or twice that works, but I can't remember exactly what I did to make that happen.

I do flatten the png file too.

Thanks, Callum,

Adan

Callum, this is the msg I get on the image site: "You uploaded a transparent image.   Transparent images work perfectly on all of our products except for prints (e.g. canvas prints)."

So something about transparency must be the issue. Do pngs all have transparency, or can that be removed?

Thanks!

Adan

I think you need to make sure that the ‘Transparent Canvas’ option is deselected (via the ‘Document > Canvas’ submenu).

APh-Transparency.jpg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Since you don't want any background to be included, Adan, I think the 'Clip Canvas' option is the more appropriate one. The PNG format doesn't support layers, so there's no need to flatten the image explicitly before export.

On 04/10/2017 at 1:11 PM, Felipe Adan Lerma said:

The link, in case this helps, is - oops, looks like it posted the image. I can't seem to post the link to it on Wordpress without it posting the image.

When you paste an image link here, the forum software pops up the following message:

Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

If you don't want the image to be embedded, you just need to click on 'Display as a link instead' to get something like this:

https://yogaadandotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dusk-is-lit-stowe-community-church.png

Alfred spacer.png

Alfred, thanks so much for the info! I didn’t even notice the msg-option to display just the link. I did experiment to see if I could see it but still didn’t. I’m using the iPad Pro version - maybe it only shows on the desktop version? I’m not sure. Still really good info.

Plus very helpful info re PNGs! I’m saving the email alert from Affinity with this same info for reminder/reference - I really appreciate it!

Adan

4 hours ago, Felipe Adan Lerma said:

Alfred, thanks so much for the info! I didn’t even notice the msg-option to display just the link. I did experiment to see if I could see it but still didn’t. I’m using the iPad Pro version - maybe it only shows on the desktop version? I’m not sure. Still really good info.

No, it doesn't only show on the desktop version – I've just checked!  but the problem is that it's displayed below the image and it goes away as soon as you start typing anything else. With a tall image like yours, unless you scroll down immediately you see the image and react by typing something like "oops", and that makes the message disappear.

Alfred spacer.png