You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Starting with CC 2015.5, Photoshop has provided the Select & Mask tool that has made extracting a subject from a complex background relatively easy.  Here is a link to a demonstration of the PS Select & Mask tool: http://appnationconference.com/video/yAz9jZJiiTzk

Does Affinity Photo have a tool that provides a similar capability as Select & Mask?

• Staff

Hi Big_Stan,

The closest feature you have is the Selection Brush Tool to create a rough selection of the subject then pressing the Refine Selection button in the context toolbar to Refine the selection. You can then output it as a new layer, as a mask, new layer + mask etc. Check this video tutorial - Refining Selections - which describes the whole process.

If you want you can also use the Quick Mask functionality while using the Selection Brush Tool to help you create the initial selection. On this video James is using the Paint Bush Tool to manually paint/select the eyes of the owl with Quick Mask but you can also use the Selection Brush Tool with it instead.

• Staff

Hi Big_Stan,

With the Quick Mask mode set to Overlay you can also see the rest of the image while you select the parts you are interested in. It's simply a different system. If you are looking for a clone of the Photoshop functionality then no, Affinity Photo does not work the same way but if you spend some time checking the Refine Selection dialog and how it works you can also get similar results.

2 hours ago, Big_Stan said:

Yes, but if I were able to lower the opacity on the "red" overlay mask it would be easier to use.  Perhaps I should have been more specific, Is there a way to lower the opacity on the red mask?

The red overlay is already partially transparent. Do you want to make it more transparent than that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Exactly.   

With a lower opacity it will be easier to see the edgers of subject.  Right now I select the quick mask, paint, and then switch the mask off to see where I missed or where I over achieved.  

Having the ability to reduce the opacity of the mask (make it more transparent) is useful when you have a image with a complex background and where the color difference between the subject and the background is not that distinct.  In wildlife photography the animals/birds are camouflaged. Everybody loves to show tutorials where the subject and the background are very different, but frequently that is not the case with wildlife.

Thank you.

The technique is to work the other way

Instead of working inside the subject and painting out, select too much and paint in. That way it is totally transparent.

59d3e9eb83972_insideout.jpg.5543709cd4dac48380d4dce88178654a.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/3/2017 at 5:56 PM, MEB said:

Hi Big_Stan,

The closest feature you have is the Selection Brush Tool to create a rough selection of the subject then pressing the Refine Selection button in the context toolbar to Refine the selection. You can then output it as a new layer, as a mask, new layer + mask etc. Check this video tutorial - Refining Selections - which describes the whole process.

If you want you can also use the Quick Mask functionality while using the Selection Brush Tool to help you create the initial selection. On this video James is using the Paint Bush Tool to manually paint/select the eyes of the owl with Quick Mask but you can also use the Selection Brush Tool with it instead.

Hi Big_Stan or anyone that can help me.

I´m new to Affinity (all 3, photo, designer and publisher) one question that comes to mind after trying the refine and the quick mask, is there any suggestions or general rule (rule of the thumb) in which typical images is better to use one or the other?

Thanks for any comments.

Roger