You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all, 

I've only seen an old thread about this with no clear fix so I've decided to start a new one. As you can see in the attached image, my "white" in Affinity definitely is not "white" as in the rest of aplications in my computer (the Notepad there provides an example). I'm working on a second screen display, an AOC e2351Fh monitor, (although the issue persists even if I set windows to project only on the notebook screen, not sure if this really matters), my graphic card is a GeForce GTM870m, and my NVIDIA Control Panel settings seems to be correct (designer.exe is set to high performance NVIDIA processor). I could provide you with some screenshots of my monitor color profile but then you would have to tell me exactly what you want me to screenshot. Oh, and this is on Windows 10.

That said, what should I do about this? Any tips?

Thanks!

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Untitled4.png

ok, I figured out my windows color profile is set as "2351" (not even sure what this is exactly) and that setting my affinty RGB Color profiles to that same "2151" makes everything alright EXCEPT for the fact that:

1- I have no idea if I should be using this "2351" thing in the first place;

2- There is no option in the CMYK color profile for me to set it as 2351, so CMYK documents continues to look "creamy/yelowish".

I might be naive and asking some stupid questions here, if that is the casa, sorry for that : /

Untitled5.png

2351.icm is the monitor manufacturers ICM colour profile for your monitor, which is used by Windows Colour Management.  Although it seems to cure your problem by setting your document colour profile to it, don't do this as it will only look OK on your screen.  The document profile should be a standard colour profile such as sRGB IEC61966-2.1, etc. therefore keep setting your document profile to one of the standard profiles when you create a new document.

As for the yellow problem, for whatever reason some monitor colour profiles do not work correctly.  I don't know the exact cause of this, but it's almost as if the profile makes the blue channel cut out at say 220 instead of going to the full 255, hence why it displays yellow and not white.

You may be able to see if your monitor manufacturer has drivers that contain a different ICM profile that you can try, or maybe see if you still have the discs that came with the monitor and get them from that, however these will possibly be the same as the ones that automatically come through Windows Update anyway. 

Alternatively, you can make it display white again by using a generic sRGB profile in place of the 2351.icm profile set in Control Panel > Colour Management.  To do this, click the 'Add' button in the bottom left of the Windows Colour Management window, add the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 ICM profile and set it as default instead of the 2351.icm profile.

There was talk of looking into maybe creating a blacklist of faulty monitor profiles that would warn the user about this when they start the application, but that's not something I know anything about.

: /

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll try to set find the said drivers and/or to set my monitor as a generic SRGB profile. Is there any downside on this this? And do you believe this would this fix my problem with the CMYK documents?

once again, 

thanks.

1 hour ago, LdoSul said:

I guess I'll try to set find the said drivers and/or to set my monitor as a generic SRGB profile. Is there any downside on this this? And do you believe this would this fix my problem with the CMYK documents?

It will fix the yellow cast problem, the downside is that you will be using a generic sRGB profile instead of the one created by the monitor manufacturer for that monitor model.  If when the monitor was manufactured their monitors were manufactured to standards that meant they would be close to the generic sRGB profile, then using the generic sRGB profile will be close to what the manufacturers profile should be like. 

None of us know if this is the case though, but your options are limited.  You can't use the monitor profile you are currently using as it's way off.  Therefore if you can't get another monitor colour profile from the manufacturer that works correctly, then your options are to use the generic sRGB profile in Windows Colour Management and hope the monitors were manufactured close to the generic sRGB profile, buy a new monitor which should come with a working ICC/ICM profile, or buy a hardware monitor calibration device to create your own ICM profile for the monitor.

Only some programs use colour management, which is why Notepad, the Windows Photo app, etc. display white not yellow.  I don't know the exact cause of the issue with some monitor manufacturer's profiles, but there must have been something odd going on at some point like a confusion in standards or something as this issue is something that used to come up in the Adobe forums too.