You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Define motif in Affinity Photo?

Evening all!  I have a question.  In Photoshop if you want to make a wallpaper then from the Edit menu you can define a motif, it then appears in the motif library at the top left and you can select it and flood fill with it.  (I'm using the Spanish version so the nomenclature might not be quite correct). 

I've been trying to do this with Affinity photo and can't figure out whether it is possible or not.  Or perhaps you have to use Designer instead?  I haven't yet found anything equivalent to a motif library, or any way to define a motif, but I expect I'm not looking in the right place.  Basic example attached.

Motivo 01 combinada.jpg

tela motivo 01.jpg

Also make sure the Context is set to Fill, as shown in the screenshot @dutchshader provided. The Affinity Designer Fill Tool can be used to apply a bitmap to either the fill or stroke of a vector object. If the context is set to Stroke & the stroke is not very wide, you might not notice that is what is being filled.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'd like to learn more about how to do this process as well, but the comments above are confusing. It would be great if someone would be willing to lay out the steps in a 1, 2 , 3 etc. order starting with selecting the file to be used for the fill pattern and going through the remaining steps.

Thanks very much for doing this, if anyone is willing.

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

1. Select an object using the Gradient (Affinity Photo) or Fill (Affinity Designer) Tool.

2. On the Context toolbar's Type popup menu select Bitmap. (For Affinity Designer, make sure the Context menu popup is set to Fill.)

3. In the window that opens, select a bitmap (raster) image file (png, jpeg, gif, etc.)

4. The bitmap fill will be applied to the selected object, with control handles overlaying the fill.

5. Use control handles as desired  to set the fill's size, rotation, & position.

6. Set Context toolbar Extend popup menu to the desired method for extending the bitmap. Typically, Wrap or Mirror is most useful.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks very much, RCR. This was very helpful!

The only thing I noticed is that in Designer, I needed to choose the Gradient Tool. If I chose the Fill Tool, there was no bitmap option that I could find.

18 minutes ago, DianeF said:

The only thing I noticed is that in Designer, I needed to choose the Gradient Tool. If I chose the Fill Tool, there was no bitmap option that I could find.

There is no Gradient Tool in Affinity Designer. Owing to a strange naming inconsistency, the Gradient tool in Affinity Photo corresponds to the Fill Tool in Affinity Designer; there is also a Flood Fill Tool, but that is only available in the Pixel Persona.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There is no Gradient Tool in Affinity Designer. Owing to a strange naming inconsistency, the Gradient tool in Affinity Photo corresponds to the Fill Tool in Affinity Designer; there is also a Flood Fill Tool, but that is only available in the Pixel Persona.

At least in the Mac version of Affinity Photo, the Gradient tool lacks the "Tool" suffix in the tooltip popup & in the help topic. All the other standard tools include the "Tool" suffix in their name.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

At least in the Mac version of Affinity Photo, the Gradient tool lacks the "Tool" suffix in the tooltip popup & in the help topic. All the other standard tools include the "Tool" suffix in their name.

Yes, it's the same in the Windows version. This has been discussed before, and I seem to recall its being suggested that the reason was to keep the tooltip short. Not very convincing, given some of the other tooltips such as 'Inpainting Brush Tool'!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Several people have also commented that it is weird that the bitmap option is part of a tool named "Gradient" in Affinity Photo. I also noticed when checking the help for both apps before my previous reply that there is no mention in can find in the help topics for either app about the bitmap option, as if it was a late addition that has never been documented.

Affinity Photo 

Alfred, you are right that this is Fill tool on a Mac. I guess I think of this tool as a gradient tool since it's the tool you use to make a gradient fill. But it clearly serves multiple purposes, including solid fills and bitmap fills as well as gradient fills.