You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A small thing: resizing by percentage

• Staff

Hi ratrogue,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You can perform math operations in the input fields. So if you want to reduce the width by 50% for example just enter *50% after the existing value. Alternatively you can also use *=50% replacing the existing value. Both notations will work. For more info about expressions for field input check this Help topic.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

You can perform math operations in the input fields. So if you want to reduce the width by 50% for example just enter *50% after the existing value. Alternatively you can also use *=50% replacing the existing value. Both notations will work.

As someone pointed out me when I posted something similar quite a while ago, replacing the existing value with 50% (without the *= prefix) will also work.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes, please add the ability to resize by percentage.  It's nice that that other method works, but it's more of a workaround. If I put in 50% but decide I'd rather make it 40%, I can't just type in 40% because it would then make it 40% of the 50%. The only way I can get the original size back is by typing the original pixel size again, or exiting the Resize Document window and going back in.

• 3 months later...

Input fields are useful, but as someone else said on another thread - it is apparently not possible to set up a macro to resize by a set percentage.  I used this a lot in Photoplus to resize photos straight from the SD card to attach to emails, sometimes as a batch job.  As I still have Photoplus I revert to that for resizing, but it would be a handy facility in Photo - or a resize (with input of percentage) macro readymade!

On 10/3/2017 at 8:40 PM, Prizm said:

Yes, please add the ability to resize by percentage.  It's nice that that other method works, but it's more of a workaround. If I put in 50% but decide I'd rather make it 40%, I can't just type in 40% because it would then make it 40% of the 50%. The only way I can get the original size back is by typing the original pixel size again, or exiting the Resize Document window and going back in.

Can't you just type in 200%? 200% times 50% is 100%. Which is the normal size. 

On 15 January 2018 at 2:13 PM, papanorts said:

Input fields are useful, but as someone else said on another thread - it is apparently not possible to set up a macro to resize by a set percentage. ...

Macros can resize by percentage using the Equations filter

e.g.

r=r*100/75 will resize to 75%
r=r*100/50 will resize to 50%
r=r*100/25 will resize to 25%

Within the macro you will need to clip the canvas afterwards and do a bit of inpainting to get rid of any transparent pixels around the edges

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, carl123 said:

e.g.

Within the macro you will need to clip the canvas afterwards and do a bit of inpainting to get rid of any transparent pixels around the edges

surely 

r=r*75/100 will resize to 75%
r=r*50/100 will resize to 50%
r=r*25/100 will resize to 25%

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Nope, and don't call me surely

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

17 minutes ago, carl123 said:

e.g.

Does r=r*100/25 give a different result from r=r*4:/

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff
1 minute ago, Alfred said:

obviously not, he was giving a generic answer for any percentage, with 3 examples that factorize, but not all numbers would....

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

No, same result

But I deliberately used the 100/25 notation to show the mathematically challenged amongst us how to equate it to percentages

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

obviously he was giving a generic answer for any percentage, with 3 examples that factorize, but not all numbers would....

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

No, same result

But I deliberately used the 100/25 notation to show the mathematically challenged amongst us how to equate it to percentages

Thanks, both. I wondered whether I was missing something there, just as Patrick and I both initially missed the fact that it should be r=r*100/25 rather than r=r*25/100.

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 year later...