ratrogue

A small thing: resizing by percentage

Hi ratrogue,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You can perform math operations in the input fields. So if you want to reduce the width by 50% for example just enter *50% after the existing value. Alternatively you can also use *=50% replacing the existing value. Both notations will work. For more info about expressions for field input check this Help topic.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

You can perform math operations in the input fields. So if you want to reduce the width by 50% for example just enter *50% after the existing value. Alternatively you can also use *=50% replacing the existing value. Both notations will work.

As someone pointed out me when I posted something similar quite a while ago, replacing the existing value with 50% (without the *= prefix) will also work.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Yes, please add the ability to resize by percentage.  It's nice that that other method works, but it's more of a workaround. If I put in 50% but decide I'd rather make it 40%, I can't just type in 40% because it would then make it 40% of the 50%. The only way I can get the original size back is by typing the original pixel size again, or exiting the Resize Document window and going back in.

Input fields are useful, but as someone else said on another thread - it is apparently not possible to set up a macro to resize by a set percentage.  I used this a lot in Photoplus to resize photos straight from the SD card to attach to emails, sometimes as a batch job.  As I still have Photoplus I revert to that for resizing, but it would be a handy facility in Photo - or a resize (with input of percentage) macro readymade!

On 10/3/2017 at 8:40 PM, Prizm said:

Yes, please add the ability to resize by percentage.  It's nice that that other method works, but it's more of a workaround. If I put in 50% but decide I'd rather make it 40%, I can't just type in 40% because it would then make it 40% of the 50%. The only way I can get the original size back is by typing the original pixel size again, or exiting the Resize Document window and going back in.

Can't you just type in 200%? 200% times 50% is 100%. Which is the normal size. 

On 15 January 2018 at 2:13 PM, papanorts said:

Input fields are useful, but as someone else said on another thread - it is apparently not possible to set up a macro to resize by a set percentage. ...

Macros can resize by percentage using the Equations filter

e.g.

r=r*100/75 will resize to 75%
r=r*100/50 will resize to 50%
r=r*100/25 will resize to 25%

Within the macro you will need to clip the canvas afterwards and do a bit of inpainting to get rid of any transparent pixels around the edges

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

11 minutes ago, carl123 said:

e.g.

Within the macro you will need to clip the canvas afterwards and do a bit of inpainting to get rid of any transparent pixels around the edges

surely 

r=r*75/100 will resize to 75%
r=r*50/100 will resize to 50%
r=r*25/100 will resize to 25%

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Nope, and don't call me surely

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

17 minutes ago, carl123 said:

e.g.

Does r=r*100/25 give a different result from r=r*4:/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

Does r=r*100/25 give a different result from r=r*4:/

No, same result

But I deliberately used the 100/25 notation to show the mathematically challenged amongst us how to equate it to percentages

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

obviously he was giving a generic answer for any percentage, with 3 examples that factorize, but not all numbers would....

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

No, same result

But I deliberately used the 100/25 notation to show the mathematically challenged amongst us how to equate it to percentages

Thanks, both. I wondered whether I was missing something there, just as Patrick and I both initially missed the fact that it should be r=r*100/25 rather than r=r*25/100.

Alfred online2long.gif