You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Bump Map using Existing Layer

The Live Lighting Filter allows you to import an image to use as a bump map. 

I would also like the option to use an existing layer within the open document as the bump map (Much like the way the Displacement Map filter allows you to use another layer as the source. However I think entering or selecting the layer name in the Lighting filter panel would be preferred over the "Use layers below" approach in the DM filter)

With an imported bump map, you can't make any edits to the bump map without opening it as a separate document.  That makes it very difficult to edit the bump map in context of the image you are applying it to.

By allowing an existing layer within the open document to be used as the bump map, you could easily modify it and quickly see the results.  Examples: erase a portion of the bump map where you want no texture, alter the contrast of the bump map, rotate, re-size the bump map, etc. all without the trial & error of editing a separate image.

Thank you for your consideration.  Love Affinity!

• 11 months later...
On 10/1/2017 at 11:52 AM, edferg said:

The Live Lighting Filter allows you to import an image to use as a bump map. 

I would also like the option to use an existing layer within the open document as the bump map (Much like the way the Displacement Map filter allows you to use another layer as the source. However I think entering or selecting the layer name in the Lighting filter panel would be preferred over the "Use layers below" approach in the DM filter)

With an imported bump map, you can't make any edits to the bump map without opening it as a separate document.  That makes it very difficult to edit the bump map in context of the image you are applying it to.

By allowing an existing layer within the open document to be used as the bump map, you could easily modify it and quickly see the results.  Examples: erase a portion of the bump map where you want no texture, alter the contrast of the bump map, rotate, re-size the bump map, etc. all without the trial & error of editing a separate image.

Thank you for your consideration.  Love Affinity!

Hi Edferg,

I think I see a way to do what you're trying to do. You might have to dedicate a layer to your bump map, but you'll be able to edit it locally.

1. Create a pixel layer, give it a solid color (I'm using a darkish green, #1d710c. Call it 'grass'.
  2. Create another pixel layer on top of that. Call it 'bumps'.
    1. This layer will get your heightmap (I used Filters -> Noise -> Perlin... and on my second try, remembered to set my colors to black and white, rather than black and dark green).
    2. Add to this second layer a Live Lighting layer of type 'Directional', with azimuth and elevation set appropriately.
    3. Set the pixel layer to 'overlay'.

This gives you a layer that can provide your bump map:

• Hide the pixel layer to turn off the bumps.
  • Hide the lighting layer (and change the pixel layer's blend mode back to Normal) to see the height map.
  • Edit the pixel layer (height map) to change the bumps.
  • Add a mask layer to the pixel layer (height map) to turn the bumps on and off selectively.

(I tried cropping my sample file but the cropped version was bigger! So I went with the original)

Keith

bump map.afphoto

• 2 months later...

Hello @edferg
Was just looking on how to Bump map with affinity photo and your content helped me to find it.
Well there are many methods but that one is okay and i like it thanks !

I think it should be brought to front instead of being burried within another filter, a dedicated bump map filter with necessary settings would be help full.
So if we want to add live light then we only add live light but we can just chose to make bump map itself without the need of passing through or by the live light filter.

i invite @Andy Somerfield and @MattP to have a look here and tell us what they think.
Well i use Mac but the settings are the same on both plateforms/

Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3