You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

2 hours ago, mvlad said:

web-based tools (like figma, gravit, invision)

But.... those have no orientation -as far as I know- towards print, and all its workflow complexities (PDF/X, color profiles, CMYK, etc), while Designer does. Also, kind of I don't rely too much on web based apps for them taking care of very heavy files (many nodes, etc). Besides, if people is complaining about missing advanced tools like warp, etc, these don't have those, but neither many that designer does, they have a quite more basic heading, as their field is very specific and only focus on that, IMO, are different animals oriented only to prototyping for the web (just very heavily, and indeed, the best at that together with Sketch and A. XD, ) and team work for web apps dev.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I don't know a company, even little, willing to potentially expose its work on the Internet before it's ready for publishing. Me, as hobbyist, I don't even want to be potentially metered, for example. That happens probably with CC products anyway, but it's still possible to avoid it. Where are the good old apps that simply run to to their job? This is a good reason to use Linux, because it's open source and can be reviewed, not because it's free.

All I can say is that I just really want to move away from Adobe, they stick a knife in your back and they slowly twisting it in. I use Windows and I want to move to Linux, the only thing which is stopping me is adobe products. The main one I use is Photoshop people say use Gimp, but that has horrible UI/UX the only one which really beats Photoshop is affinity when I tried it I was shocked on how good it is! just for £48.99 that's a mind blowing price, I would be happy to pay around £150 or even more but the thing which stops me from buying it is that it don't support Linux :(. I know there has been talk about crowed funding and its a ishy topic from what I've been reading, but from my stand point I would be so willing to throw some money in there even if I don't get it straight away or if I have to wait 2 years I would be happy to wait. I'm not a hobbyist I work in a design agency, everybody else uses Linux besides the design team. The company would love to replace adobe since they would be saving a lot of money not just that they would rather pay a up front price and that brings me onto the next bit, I feel affinity should change their pricing example : Hobbyist: £48.99 Freelance: £68.99 Business: £250 you've got to take the prices as a pinch of salt but you get my point. To the affinity team there is a ever growing market in Linux for design products. Adobe has seen the huge amount of people who wants them to support Linux its around 10k people so if you was to charge £48.99 x 10000 = £489900 and that's from only a small chunk of the demand not to mention pirating, there is a HUGE amount of people who pirate adobe products because of the price and monthly fee, not saying I've printed Photoshop for my own personnel use because of their price ;) but it means that those very people would buy your product. I don't want adobe taking this stoplight from affinity but it would be a sad moment if they do :( .

16 hours ago, LucasKA said:

why hasn't anyone stepped up to the plate other than a bad KS?

https://meetalva.io/

Seems like for example SinnerSchrader Deutschland GmbH is offering something similar to Akria and its called  Alva and available on Windows Linux, mac.
Alva is an prototyping solution which lets you design interactive products.
There are probably many more alternatives out there, why are you not spending a bit of your time on the net searching?

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

18 hours ago, LucasKA said:

why hasn't anyone stepped up to the plate other than a bad KS?

In response to this, and also for Linux users that mention using GIMP as much as possible so they don't have to boot Windows: You can also try the multi platform Polarr Photo Editor (Basic version is free, full version is $24 per year).

It's available on Snapcraft, and as you can see on the statistics this snap is used on Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin OS, KDE Neon, Elementary OS, Fedora, Debian, Deepin, Manjaro, Parrot PS and Arch Linux. Maybe more.

While it doesn't compare to Affinity Photo or Adobe Photoshop by a long shot (so I think in light of this discussion it's okay for me to mention this app, and if not, moderators should feel free to remove this post), it does have pretty descent RAW photo support and might make a hobbyist happy for being able to do quick photo series while on holiday or something.

Also available for Android tablets and Chromebooks (and of course Windows).

"Anyone can argue that if what we’re doing is not making money, then it’s probably not worth doing anyway. Fortunately, we see a large number of people who are willing to pay, and we believe Polarr does have a product-market fit in the photo enthusiast community."

14 hours ago, mvlad said:

as someone who would love to be able to work on the go easier and across multiple platforms, web-based design apps seem like the future.

Especially when they work offline too, and can be installed as a stand-alone app. I believe Polarr is an Electron app.

41 minutes ago, Redsandro said:

so I think in light of this discussion it's okay for me to mention this app, and if not, moderators should feel free to remove this post

It is, like several others, a direct competitor. Let's consider how Affinity Photo, while the entire Affinity line being clearly a bet for the professional market, it feeds too (not just freelancers or other pros) from casual hobbyists (and advanced ones, too). The handling of RAWs (an area where they are working hard to improve), and photography in general, is clearly  quite a large portion of the target users for ... er... "Photo".  In another company, in their forums, a post like that would last minutes, maybe link edited, or thread closed. In the least case, a warning from a mod. You wont get any of that here. Unless someone now will find it funny to prove me wrong, hehe.....Well is not usual any action in that direction around here : I  have only seen one instance of that in years (but after very very repeated promo) , but might be just that I have not seen other warnings.

Personally, I think is not bad posting it, (and I like cross platform software, I freelance for 3D as one of my fields, and all done with software of that type, and free) specially in this case and thread ( /s, as we have like a duplicated thread bumped simultaneously, lol...another thing unique of these forums' tolerance...not that I say it like a bad thing, ofc) , as Linux users have a problem with the lack of options in this area. Now that has been mentioned again, I keep saying that Gimp, latest stable  -although haven't tried lately any of the non stable line- versions are very capable for basic hobbyists, advanced ones, and till some large extent, pros. There are youtube channels with Gimp tutorials (100% dedicated to teaching Gimp, for free) where anyone can very easily verify this tool's capabilities. Photo is just way ahead, is at another point and moment, clearly. But is not like you can't do a lot of production work with Gimp. In this world we need more patience than money. Of course, I would not go back to Gimp, being Affinity a reality. But have used it (Gimp) for serious stuff for long time. Is wildly underrated. Like Wings 3D. Luckily Blender is getting more of the praise it deserves, but yet a fraction of what it should get (even from the actual community).

I have the feeling they typically don't like to have a direct competitor linked, but as they have not in their plans to release a Linux version (at least for now), probably it is completely fine.

Especially when they work offline too, and can be installed as a stand-alone app. I believe Polarr is an Electron app.

Indeed, because as I think I mentioned in the other thread, I have my concerns about performance when is a browser based app. All instances that I have tested in many fields, end up with a solution that can't handle really heavy projects. And I mean both 3D and 2D. Is as if the emulation, or browser limitations, not full hardware access, or whatever, are getting in the way.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

In another company, in their forums, a post like that would last minutes, maybe link edited, or thread closed. In the least case, a warning from a mod. You wont get any of that here. Unless someone now will find it funny to prove me wrong, hehe.....Well is not usual any action in that direction around here : I  have only seen one instance of that in years (but after very very repeated promo) , but might be just that I have not seen other warnings.

Even though I have my criticism of Affinity with regards to this very topic and we're debating either how to fill a gap in the market that Affinity is not willing to fill or how to convince Affinity to change their mind, I have also shown my love by purchasing two licenses from them just to show my support. Admittedly, they had just released the Windows version and my hope was that a Linux version would follow soon, which I would gladly purchase again at 200% cost. With that said, people can feel free to "report post" and let moderators decide. It's still their forum and they can decide how far this discussion is allowed to go.

Now that has been mentioned again, I keep saying that Gimp, latest stable  -although haven't tried lately any of the non stable line- versions are very capable for basic hobbyists, advanced ones, and till some large extent, pros. There are youtube channels with Gimp tutorials (100% dedicated to teaching Gimp, for free) where anyone can very easily verify this tool's capabilities. Photo is just way ahead, is at another point and moment, clearly. But is not like you can't do a lot of production work with Gimp. In this world we need more patience than money. Of course, I would not go back to Gimp, being Affinity a reality. But have used it (Gimp) for serious stuff for long time. Is wildly underrated. Like Wings 3D. Luckily Blender is getting more of the praise it deserves, but yet a fraction of what it should get (even from the actual community).

I can high-five you on this for the most part. I use GIMP nearly daily. But it is definitely in nearly every way not Affinity Photo or Adobe Photoshop. Just try to put a nice title with some border and shadow and what not on a picture you want to use for a photo magazine cover and export CMYK. See how long it takes three different people on Adobe Photoshop, Affinity Photo, and GIMP. You'll find that the first two are on par, and the latter takes an unreasonable amount of time. The GIMP user will be working on that darn border while the first two are out having lunch. He'll be faster doing it programmatically. That ease of use is worth money. Not all the money in the world, but a certain amount of money. It varies from person to person. For me personally, it's worth about 200% of the price of Affinity Photo.

Blender, which I also worked with is a whole different game. While GIMP is really far behind compared to Photo and Photoshop, Blender is really top notch. I preferred working with it even though I had access to 3d Studio Max and Lightwave through the company I worked at. Blender is so advanced and full-featured, it hurts a little when Blender as a FOSS alternative to commercial 3d software is compared to GIMP as a FOSS alternative to commercial 2d software.

Blender is used on a lot of tv shows (like Westworld). As for movies, Next Gen (Netflix) is done entirely in Blender. Jeff Bell: "We're effectively 100% Blender, other than plugging in apps in a few areas to supplement departmental workflows"

I have my concerns about performance when is a browser based app. All instances that I have tested in many fields, end up with a solution that can't handle really heavy projects. And I mean both 3D and 2D. Is as if the emulation, or browser limitations, not full hardware access, or whatever, are getting in the way.

I've been to some developer conferences and big strides are being made with WebASM. Assembly is the language that is compiled to machine language, and WebASM is a pretty new technology in development to compile binaries straight from the browser. In a lot of cases performance is nearly on par with native apps, although some functions to achieve this goal have not yet been implemented. It's quite beta. Here is an example where they compiled the game Doom 3 in WebASM and WebGL. Check the performance, it works for me in Chrome 76 on Linux. I believe that - while not this year - in a year or two perhaps web based apps will slowly start to get to the forefront. You will see more and more Progressive Web Apps (that are multiplatform) rather than native apps.

1 hour ago, Redsandro said:

Blender, which I also worked with is a whole different game. While GIMP is

Actually...

Another point is...both (even Inkscape, too) share a destroying combination of bad factors : Slow evolution for some years (funnily, the 3 apps are evolving in a better pace now), lack of some pro features (ie, the CMYK and color management in Gimp, workflows for print), bad name/reputation about having a difficult GUI, and too convoluted procedures. It's still totally there, also for Blender. These are main issues. Then, bad rep feeds itself through the years even if things improve vastly like in Blender 2.8. I firmly believe Blender is not yet fully intuitive. But in that Regard, XSI neither was (and I've had it at home, purchased), despite it's crazy power. You can argue even Maya has  its dark areas, though much more intuitive. And most people find Max easy to guess, yet...too many steps to achieve some things (like happens in Gimp). I used to work in games creating tons of characters, those modifiers weren't the fastest workflows, not even with plugins to make more sense of modeling. But it was kindda intuitive, visual, making sense for a newcomer.

As a funny , full of sarcasm proof of it in this -way too long- video below, anyone can watch this bit, linked at the right second, which is a honest and sarcastic truth about it. That's part of my recommendation in general about patience. In all the 3 FOSS main apps for graphics, it's the main virtue needed, as what you can get with those convoluted workflows is a lot, and for free. In the end, not sure a Maxer (and professionally, I'm quite one, I like 3DS Max) would use less time than me (at same artistic/pro level, of course) using Blender for my latest gigs. Because while all those legacy UI issues are quite time consuming (Max also had that prob with legacy stuff issues), it has fast paths not that common in Max, so stuff gets compensated, once one gets the hang of Blender's UI (requires almost a "Blender mindset").  But Max is the heck of a beast, undeniable capabilities, now. At the extremely affordable (people like to complain and cry about everything) quantity of 254 euros per month, even while you are at your August's holidays on the beach, not doing other 3D than wondering if the beach huge ball is an UV sphere or not... (if you can also afford that after putting that chunk of money through the year, that is. But if one is that rich...don't do graphics, enjoy life, lol.   ).

https://youtu.be/1qSTcxt2t74?t=1285

9 hours ago, myclay said:

https://meetalva.io/

Seems like for example SinnerSchrader Deutschland GmbH is offering something similar to Akria and its called  Alva and available on Windows Linux, mac.
Alva is a prototyping solution which lets you design interactive products.
There are probably many more alternatives out there, why are you not spending a bit of your time on the net searching?

Yeah, I've spent a lot of F**king time searching. Alva isn't even close.

Gravit is the one that comes closest, but it's missing core functionality that I am looking for and chokes out at bigger file sizes. Most of these web apps are very basic and aren't a multi-modal design paradigm, which is what I mean when I say Linux is missing a modern, prosumer level design package that can switch between digital and print.

For instance, I'm working on a Board Game. And in one file I have all the contextual sizes of each artifact, using Artboards. Which I'm not sure any current Linux offering has.

I have a Symbol library that I use to replicate pieces across different artboards.

It switches between editing Vector and Raster seamlessly.

When it comes to exporting, I can export for multiple media however I want. I can slice them into printable PDFs for that media, or I can have tiny, singular sized chunks to import into the tabletop simulator.

The different Linux tools have some of this functionality, but then they are missing others. Then they have differing workflows, shortcuts and their own quirks and bugs (like Krita does vector but doesn't respect it's dimensions on import, which makes sense, it's a painting program). I miiiiiiight be able to cobble together this workflow with Inkscape, Gimp/Krita, Scribus. Unfortunately I don't see one with the flexible exporting system for the different media, because most of the Linux packages have long Legacies based around their one context.

The tools that Affinity has aren't where it's value lies, it's in it's perspective of workflow.

Screenshot 2019-06-08 13.20.52.png

Screenshot 2019-06-08 13.26.56.png

Your beautifully detailed explanation is an eye opener and it makes it crystal clear what the features are which are unique to the Affinity Suite.
In this case, yeah there is no f**ing known alternative available. :D

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

7 hours ago, myclay said:

Your beautifully detailed explanation is an eye opener and it makes it crystal clear what the features are which are unique to the Affinity Suite.
In this case, yeah there is no f**ing known alternative available. :D

I swear pretty casually, sorry if that comes off  weird. Lol. 

I think all the Linux apps are way better at their respective parts, but they don’t really tie together in a cohesive way. 

29 minutes ago, LucasKA said:

I swear pretty casually

No matter how casual, swearing is never pretty. ¬¬

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

No matter how casual, swearing is never pretty. ¬¬

But casual can on occasion be pretty.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Unleavened Tech said:

Just for curiosity, here is a Strawpoll I made. Everyone, please click on it to cast your vote on whether porting Affinity to Linux would be a good idea.

https://www.strawpoll.me/18141491/r

Consider me voting for porting, but I won't make yet another account on some site just for voting this. Probably almost everybody in this post here would vote for it. So? A more valuable poll would be if everybody having a paid license would vote (pro or contra or don't care...).

• Staff

You say

Linux would be....potentially be the BIGGEST!! selling point for Affinity

What is the point of "the BIGGEST!! selling point" if not to make money by selling it (of which you apparently disapprove see below)

...do not f*cking know about anything other than business and money.... The only goal they can imagine is how to get more money.

Stop insulting us to our faces. Shouting, swearing and insults are against the Guidelines you have agreed to

Besides....

Just for curiosity, here is a Strawpoll I made

and

27 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

A more valuable poll would be...

We are not a democracy, sorry. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

13 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We are not a democracy, sorry. 

First of all, nobody says to do as the poll results.

Secondly, aren't you curious?

Thirdly, what is the fate of dictatorship? Just kidding...

Sorry to be quoted and answer a post that offended you. My apologies.

• Staff
2 minutes ago, msdobrescu said:

nobody says to do as the poll results

some people take "advisory" polls very seriously ;) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 12:29 PM, Unleavened Tech said:

Ah yes... That's the problem! If companies had people in leader positions, who actually knew anything about the industry they are making products for, I'm sure we would be a lot farther ahead. The only thing holding back the industries is that that the directors & managers do not f*cking know about anything other than business and money. They are the same people responsible for global warming and pollution. The only goal they can imagine is how to get more money. This actually kinds of applies to politics as well, but I won't go into that here.

I love Affinity software, but I absolutely hate how the managers or developers are rejecting suggestions that actually matter, and instead are focusing on unimportant things such as changing some of the nicest icons to some ugly flat sh*t.

Please let the managers of Serif know, that porting their software to Linux would be in fact, be something that they could use to pull off huge competition from Adobe, and potentially be the BIGGEST!! selling point for Affinity. As said by me and a number of other people in this thread, porting the software to Linux would not consume too much time because of Mac OS being already based off Unix.

Just for curiosity, here is a Strawpoll I made. Everyone, please click on it to cast your vote on whether porting Affinity to Linux would be a good idea.
https://www.strawpoll.me/18141491/r

@Unleavened Tech, while I have a great deal of sympathy for your request, I can't see it happening because of Linux's low presence on the desktop which makes it uneconomic to port the Affinity range of software to Linux. I think it would be more reasonable to ask them if they would at least look into making the Affinity products for Windows work well with Wine which is what the developers of PhotoLine have done.

I just bought Affinity Photo, windows licence. Currently using Windows 7 x64. Will use it till esu support ends and after that i am planning to switch to Linux, coz Win 10 + Chrome is sucky telemetry collecting platform and Macos is nothing special anymore (intel cpus, not native os and marasmatician ceo adds slendidness)

So Linux is the only choice. Currently looking at Manjaro distro.

I hope that Serif will change their minds and will add Linux support in a 3-4 years. I am ready to pay tripple price for such gift.

ps Gimp is not an option - it is a pain. Adobe is globalistic morons, not fixing bugs, but moving and redecorating buttons.

Edited by spacedrone808
mistakes

AMD Threadripper 1950x ~4Ghz | Noctua NH-U14S  | Asrock Taichi X399m | 64GB RAM Corsair DDR4 | 512Gb Samsung 970 Pro NVME | 1Tb Samsung QVO SSD | 2Tb Seagate Firecuda sHDD (8Gb SSD cache) | AMD Radeon VII 16Gb VRAM | Asus Essense STX II | Edifier R2800 Speakers | 750Watt SeaSonic Titanium |  NEC PA301W | Fractal Design Meshify C Mini Dark Case |Topre RealForce RGB Keys | Windows 7 SP2+ x64 ENG

I believe PageStream is still available on Linux although I don't think it has kept up with other professional DTP packages. Scribus may be the best bet in the long term for DTP. Powerful but lack a decent user interface design. Inkscape for Vectors with similar interface issues, GIMP is looking better these days but is RGB only, Krita is excellent compared to Corel Painter for quality purposes and of course LibreOffice is very good for office software if a little slow. 

Open BSD could be a good alternative for Serif to look at as Mac OS is based on a form of BSD. That might make it possible to port to a Unix clone which is used professionally but I'm not sure the customer base would make it worthwhile.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:54 AM, spacedrone808 said:

I just bought Affinity Photo, windows licence. Currently using Windows 7 x64. Will use it till esu support ends and after that i am planning to switch to Linux, coz Win 10 + Chrome is sucky telemetry collecting platform and Macos is nothing special anymore (intel cpus, not native os and marasmatician ceo adds slendidness)

So Linux is the only choice. Currently looking at Manjaro distro.

I hope that Serif will change their minds and will add Linux support in a 3-4 years. I am ready to pay tripple price for such gift.

ps Gimp is not an option - it is a pain. Adobe is globalistic morons, not fixing bugs, but moving and redecorating buttons.

@spacedrone808, I'm a Linux user and if you look through my posting history you'll see what l personally use (not GIMP) and what l suggest trying with Wine. :)

On 6/28/2019 at 11:53 PM, Michael S Harvey said:

I believe PageStream is still available on Linux although I don't think it has kept up with other professional DTP packages. Scribus may be the best bet in the long term for DTP. Powerful but lack a decent user interface design. Inkscape for Vectors with similar interface issues, GIMP is looking better these days but is RGB only, Krita is excellent compared to Corel Painter for quality purposes and of course LibreOffice is very good for office software if a little slow. 

Open BSD could be a good alternative for Serif to look at as Mac OS is based on a form of BSD. That might make it possible to port to a Unix clone which is used professionally but I'm not sure the customer base would make it worthwhile.

@Michael, I am pleased to report that VivaDesigner is also another worthy alternative to Scribus. I should none of the Linux software l suggest is in any way a direct competitor to any of the very good Affinity products because Serif doesn't currently provide any products that are either Linux or Wine-friendly.

How about starting a Kickstarter and if we get to 100'000$ they as promised will compile the software for linux?

If we take the current price for photo of 40$ this would mean we would only need 2'500 people backing for it and serif would be sure not to make any losses. Or even ask for a 100$ but with all current affinity products ... we would only need 1'000 people.

Nothing to loose here serif :). Win-win situation.