You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

11 hours ago, SrPx said:

Not the case anymore...

anyone who did upgrade when he could for free, and then retreated, he will be able to upgrade forever, just like me, but no thanks. And you can buy legal w10 license for about 3$ in my country https://allegro.pl/oferta/windows-10-pro-professional-32-64bit-klucz-7757444248 so I assume anyone can. 

11 hours ago, SrPx said:

You have....options in Linux (for ever underrated, for what I keep realizing) , but for a pro what really makes sense is to keep in Windows or move to Mac OS.

Pixar and similar companies work on Linux... Linux has what it takes to do 3D gfx now except AE - but this goes only for VFX artists which I don't want to be (I used to be). If u just want to make 3d models for games or arch viz you are fine with Blender + SP, but PS or AP would be nice too. Apple - joke.

11 hours ago, SrPx said:

About Gimp. You can install the layer effects plugin. Well, is not as advanced as in PS, but hey, the price is right. As I mentioned, I was able to work with it without even this plugin or layer effects at all (there are workarounds). Is all about workflow and use its strengths....  https://youtu.be/CspiWs127F8

I had this plugin and it sucks. The thing is - you need to open PSD docs from ppl working on PS, don't expect love when you tell them that your GIMP can;'t do it. AP does it perfectly.

11 hours ago, SrPx said:

Slices... well not per se, but you can get quite a lot of that workflow : https://youtu.be/XNnpvNpPowk   And with other methods.

Don't make me laugh. Ever tried to cut slices for website?

11 hours ago, SrPx said:

Stroke along path. Sorry, dunno what decade was your version from....  Yep, there is, the proper feature. Menu Edit/Stroke path. No need a video for that. This is in Gimp since a while...   https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-path-stroke.html     ("stroke with a paint tool" option )

good one, thanks.

Still there is more, can you select couple of layers with shift? nope. Can you add adjustment layers just for one layer? nope. AP can do that all.

Windows 10 has been since 2015 on the market and now we have 2019 and still about 40% ppl use Win7. https://tinyurl.com/y8quz3ko 

Linux market share has grown 0,9% last month - maight be statistic error but who knows. The point is: we need AP on linux. GIMP is not enough. Linux is growing, ppl will aboandon Windows after 7 dies. 

PS.

Sorry if someone really sick got offended when I called Adobe a cancer - I really hate this company, do you remember when they bought Macromedia? Flash price raised 3x the very next day. And when Adobe CEO cried that most ppl use pirated version of PS he claimed that Adobe products are so expensive because they work so hard to make them. Yeah, they had to put Adobe logo to Macromedia Flash - so hard. Check out any forum regarding Allegoritmic takeover - 99% of hate and crying. nobody is happy about it.

Serif - come to Linux - we need you  :(

I would jump on the chance to use Affinity products in Linux. If you haven't used Linux in at least 7 years or more, there have been incredible strides made, as a lot of programmers and developers were introduced to Linux. Most of the internet runs on Linux servers. The problem with Linux is that it's so fractured. However, that's also one of its strengths. I started out as a graphic designer 10 years ago using GIMP on Linux Mint 4. Good times! Then I thought, well I'd better get Adobe so I got a Windows box. It didn't take long to regret that (insert several years of misery here) so I was quite happy to ditch them entirely for Affinity.  With the exception of Affinity, all my work is done with Linux programs (or applications originally for Linux that were made cross platform) Is Linux for 'nerds'? Absolutely! There is no better way to actually learn how an operating system works than using Linux or BSD. Is Linux for everyone else? Can be if you want it to be.  You can always have Mac/Windows on the machine for other things. There are lots of us out there that would kill to have Affinity on our Linux boxes. 

Additional clarifications: Unix has been around since 1969. BSD has been around since 1977.  Not to say that any one operating system is better than the other..out loud but we Linux lovers are everywhere and a lot more people would use Linux if there was a great choice for design software. Yes, indeed, Serif, Linux needs you :)

And yes, we know the answer already. We just want Serif to know we are here and we are ready, if ever the answer becomes yes.

Well it's a sad decision Serif made here! LINUX isn't just nerds - not today! I do use it several Ubuntus daily and i do make my business with them. I got a lot of paid software up an running. I appreciate the Affinity tools they are good, easy to use and i would spend money for them too! But well .. i can't as of the "wrong OS".

I did use Macs before, but things won't get better for OS X and for me as a developer it's easier and efficient to use Ubuntu. Modern GUIs like Gnome are what OS X had been in the good old Lion/Snow Lion times and things just work. Something nowerdays OS Xes are far away from.

But sure as a developer i know the work that has to be done for e third plattform and you have to calculate the income against that. And as long as Serif thinks there will not be enough income there will be no third plattform for sure! Sad, but reality. Well i do still have an elder mac mini, but no it's not fun to use it for complex things as image or vector orientated work.

So up to now i have to use gimp and inkscape and i will continue to do so. Good tools are worth the money and i would pay them, as i do for IDEs, Editors, RemoteDesktop Tools, commercial versioning tools like GitKraken and many more. We have to wait and see. 

K guys. As I mentioned in another thread there are things that need to be done in dxvk. Maybe we could crowdfund development of these tools to make it happen?

For those of you who don't know. I was able to install and run Designer via wine, but failed to create new project. I found out there are some missing d3d10 functions in dxvk.
I'm wondering how does mac version look like. 

1 hour ago, Pariah73 said:

Yes, indeed, Serif, Linux needs you :)

But does Serif need Linux? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, rozaliakiepska said:

anyone who did upgrade when he could for free, and then retreated, he will be able to upgrade forever, just like me, but no thanks. And you can buy legal w10 license for about 3$ in my country https://allegro.pl/oferta/windows-10-pro-professional-32-64bit-klucz-7757444248 so I assume anyone can. 

That is exactly why I said "not the case anymore". A lot of people didn't do so, for a collection of reasons, yet planning to eventually do in the future ( I will, actually, and pretty soon). Also, the "free upgrade" has its technical disadvantages compared to a clean install.   

Well, that's assuming a lot. I have very serious doubts about the legalities of those (and many in ebay, etc) licenses. When you contact to vendors, they inform you how almost all of those are not valid, illegal. Can you install warez? Yep, but, for a professional, IMO, is a very wrong choice.

you need to open PSD docs from ppl working on PS, don't expect love when you tell them that your GIMP can;'t do it. AP does it perfectly.

Sorry? nope...You can't either open a PSD with ALL features that you have native in PS. That's not doable for any app, be it Gimp or AP. Er... have you really used extensively AP ? Yes you can open a PSD with certain stuff flattened in AP, but start adding certain stuff in PS, and then pretend to open it in AP...  This is because Adobe is not particularly open about its format and how it writes to it internally. Logically so : They are protecting their market. But in that, every app is mostly equally limited. Krita can open also PSDs with layers, but flattened FX, among other things, it can't import a lot of things, just like every other application. The implementation of a BASIC layered PSD can vary from one application to another, but basically all are strongly limited by what I just explained (badly, as I'm not a coder).

Don't make me laugh. Ever tried to cut slices for website?

Well....Just as an example, in the last company, 7 years, making all the web portals, web apps, sites for clients, landing pages, html for newsletter, templates for the company to sell... you name it. And being the only person in the company for that, which was a mountain fo work. Besides making already them websites as a freelancer in my free time. And that was just my last company. I've been in ten, and in 4 of them, I also did the sites even being game studios. The other 6, mostly software developers and agencies making sites like its main duty. Since '95. And doing ALL, from concept, to full graphic template, slicing it and/or using other methods for that, then generating all the CSS sheets and HTML for it... The only stuff I wouldn't do would be the JS and PHP, and mostly because there usually would be done by other people, very well versed in both. So... YEAH. I think I have an idea about cutting slices for a site. Or etc. And BTW, using everything, from Fireworks to PS, AI, Gimp, and a ton of other tools.

Apple - joke.

Seriously... I'm requested often to handle Apple environment to get extremely nicely paid jobs. It is used in many very high end companies as the only OS to use.  It works really well, very stable, and for companies, it reduces greatly the friction and learning curve for workers. In graphics, it counts with the major professional apps, specially in 2D. Sorry, it's no joke. I don't see how it could be. I dislike its pricing and kind of programmed obsolescence in iOS (but I dislike iOS, there I would be agreeing with you. Just not in the Aple desktop).

Linux is growing, ppl will aboandon Windows after 7 dies. 

I wouldn't dislike that, if that would have any possibility. I look around, people at companies, pipelines in the companies I worked at, people in the field I constantly talk to... I don't see Windows disappearing in any way possible in 5 years, surely neither in 10... And beyond that, I simply don't even dare to make any  prediction. Indeed, in tech is risky to make a prediction even for the next month.

I really hate this company, do you remember when they bought Macromedia?

Yeah, that was quite a bad day.... At least, DW and Flash evolved quite since then, for good. But Fireworks got sunk. Just like recently they have stopped Muse.. I have a friend who can code (she should have listened to me when recommended her she at least should have learnt a bit of CSS and HTML 5 ) and now is angry to no end because Adobe stopped Muse completely. Tons of people unable to code had their business around Muse....

So, not defending Adobe. But it's a company, defends its territory and income...  I can recon this and still don't like it...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

13 minutes ago, SrPx said:

I don't see Windows disappearing in any way possible in 5 years, surely neither in 10... 

It is hard for me to take seriously anybody who suggests otherwise. For both Mac & Windows, there has always been & I suspect always will be a number of users who think some earlier OS version was the last 'good' one & every version since then is for one reason or another total garbage. But they never have been the majority of users, & even among them within a few years most of them eventually upgrade to the current version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, SrPx said:

YEAH. I think I have an idea about cutting slices for a site.

Did you do that with GIMP? using that technique from the link you pasted before? This takes like 100x more time, in PS and AP you can do it properly. 

Did you do webdesign and landing pages in GIMP too? How did you work with Text? It's another joke in GIMP, just try to scale it once and it becomes raster, the whole text tool is horrible.

Webdesign and slices in photoshop? What is it, 2007? I'm front end dev and that's not how the web apps are made today. There are tools like Sketch or Figma that cope with ui design trillion times better than anything from Adobe (even Adobe got xd for this purpose).

Do you really need tutorials?  :O

Anyway, you have tons of dirty cheap tutorials (actually full courses) in Udemy and other similar places. If willing to spend the little bucks in Affinity (which is a great idea, the 3 apps, AD, AP, APUB (in the future). These are jewels. (Used APub beta in an important recent project. It saved the day!). Using an OS you dislike should not be an obstacle, if you are serious. The best bucks put in software right now even if you would have to launch Windows or Mac OS for that) then the even smaller expense in one or two courses would do great... And if the FREE tutorials are very new, yet valid, no issue... The important part is that there are free tutorials, too. I'd deeply recommend invest some money in the best paid ones, no matter what. Makes a huge difference. I'm doing so for my new coding learning , and I don't regret it a bit.

And yeah, web design, in the old way (in which I worked a freakin' crazy lot till 2013) , in the way you mentioned is old news. Maybe except in freelancing where, depending on what you do, you could still be doing stuff like that (indeed, tons of people do, currently). But today is all about Sketch, or kind of "almost" was: Am seeing a shift to Figma and Invision... Don't quote me on that, could be just a perception. And we're extinct ("web designers", at least in the term and in those habits)... Go search for "web designer" jobs... Of course there are yet companies putting the offers like that, but only as they are not aware (or even clueless) of the whole thing. Now is ... UI/UX experts  (involving a lot more than just graphic design and some html & css, meaning, lots of studies about user experience, information flow and ROI. Meaning you need to STUDY lots of theory there, yeah, buy books, etc)  or if not, then web developer front-end, back-end or full stack. And often knowing very solidly your framework, whichever you pick, depending on your region or field (Vue getting stronger, and I wouldn't have expected that). Plus learning a ton of other tools/utilities and workflows that didn't even exist just 5 years ago.

Of course Gimp is painful to use in some aspects (but imo, how the web has developed, am not sure if now a raster tool is any more the key for the job, and more something like Inskcape or Affinity Designer, for that task. And surely much better, Figma, Sketch, Invision, Adobe XD...)  but there are always neat workarounds. You seem to be ready to disregard any of those... And the fact that is a completely community made tool, from Linux and for Linux. But I guess I'm fully alone in that, together with the eventual old timer in the Linux world who thinks like me/know how important are/should be certain matters...

But again, web stuff is going in the route foxie pointed out (and to what I added some detail). And... the future seems bright now (didn't till very recently) for Gimp; a very noticeable new push from new coders and the GEGL implementation. I'd cut it a LOT more slack, if I was defending really the Linux cause. And not just my own convenience. You would have hated Blender the year 2002. I knew it would become huge, and mates at my (game) companies always laughed about that. (btw, these things never stopped me from mastering the highend tools, like Max, Adobe's, etc). Blender only did grow to what is today because the community believed in the project, and helped it, instead of constantly trashing it. But fine, to each his/her own.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

Do you really need tutorials?  :O

Lol, Yes, is that a shame? I watch them very often, always new stuff in this industry :P

Ok, I don't work as frontend now so maybe sketch is now industry standard but sure it wasn't in 2007 and not in 2016 when I worked for decent company - we all used PS.

ps. I haven't used AP yet, only watched quite a lot viedos and I thoght it can open PS PSD with layer effects without any problems (thats what they said) is it true or is it flattened and non editable?

Blender has big sponsors ..

They have  them now.... It needed a community effort to make the big push, making it actually open source. Initially was a commercial product. The real growth of it has been fully the community, everywhere. Sponsors have really come after the fact.  If you take only the current photo, that's not even half of it. It was a ton of volunteers, tons of people making tutorials, donating money, spreading the word.

Lol, Yes, is that a shame? I watch them very often, always new stuff in this industry :P

Not a shame, at all. But these apps are extremely easy to learn in a first glance, specially to designers. Of course tutorials can be (sometimes it's slower) a faster way. It was a question, the term shame or any adjective at all was added by you. I might be surprised, as the little I've fiddled with those, make me see how easy those are to handle, specially having both coded and designed. Are an absolute divine gift.  But surprise <> shame.

ps. I haven't used AP yet,

Indeed... had noticed at some points, as some features requested by some around, are in Gimp but not in AP... That means nothing, though. Only that, despite AP being quite superior, I'd tell usually people that Gimp, despite its weird ways, has a lot of power under the hood (if you're fine with the strong differences, ...and quite some lacks, can't deny that...)

and I thoght it can open PS PSD with layer effects without any problems (thats what they said) is it true or is it flattened and non editable?

Sorry, I was being way inaccurate.   I have lately not needed at all to import PSDs from other people. I'm Clip Studio Paint focused for a big while, also.  While I know it is super common to work importing PSDs from other people. At companies that was a must, constantly, in our usual workflows. (But I work late years more as a one man band, and rarely importing PSDs from others)

It does open PSDs (you can download free psds from internet and test), it keeps as layers, and its effects... BUT... Seems drop shadows... not so well (you need to hit the gear tiny icon in that fx layer, adjust intensity, is similar to "spread" value in PS's drop shadow dialog. Otherwise you wont even see the drop shadow (too subtle). Some complex bevel stuff and some gradient noise features, might neither import well. In general, there are many settings that wont translate well. You can download from internet free PSDs having those. Just avoid those using PS's smart objects, as those wont work here.. Will see how in many cases wont look like the rendered example. 

Yep, is WAY better than most apps not being adobe's. Specially note the difference with the customer beta (you can only download it if you purchased AP), AP 1.7.x, which is great in every sense, but seems much improved in this as well. You now can set to import text layers in PSDs, and unlike in the stable, it will keep as well the FX by doing so. But with the cons I mentioned for all  fx layers. I'd ask your client to save the PSD in max. compatibility mode, that might help. Also... is not too terrible : You can have a PNG rendered side by side, and adjust the FX as you have mostly the same than in the client's file. 1:1 pixel by pixel , between two different apps with different values scales for the parameters... I doubt you get it in a reasonable amount of time, or ever.. .visually equivalent for 99% of the clients? Sure. Time consuming? heck, yeah. 

But is expected. It's a native file for PS. They protect the business by making it hard for anyone to import (or just not making it easy), and also, many features are specific to PS internals. Hard to translate all that and replicate it 1:1 in AP.

In theory, one might be able to "discover" the exact relation / numbers to get the FX behave in a similar manner. That could be a good approach. But dunno if it'd work, as a rule.

All in all, surely one of the best approach attempts I've seen for an external app, not inside the Adobe suite. One reason more to be hopeful towards 1.7.

If you need fast exchange 1:1 all fx layers, objects, everything identical and ready to go, in a fast environment, FORGET it. That's not happening with any app that I know of, other than actual Adobe's.  Other than flattening the layers. (maybe except text layers, and asume recreating the FX for those, or partially).

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for linux, I have not been using anything else besides this for years, so have lots of people around me - also I know designers, print studios and even professional print studios who really would switch to linux immediately, if adobe software would run with it.

you have one possible advantage here that could change the entire market.

also for me a native (non-wine) release of any serif's software is an instabuy, especially AD, including myself + colleagues I work with.

saying that: reconsider your decision, it is not super-hard, and will surely not cost 500k. you basically need to support GTK or preferably QT as the GUI (like .net on windows for example) and hardly more than 2 packaging systems which are rpm and deb, both are practically the same behind the scenes.

any small dev team could port all that, there are lots of GTK/QT-devs out there, just find one or two, employ or just pay them for the job, and let them do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just created an account to add my two cents:

I am more or less the computer guy for family and friends (and their family) and i noticed that the interest in Linux is more and more growing in the recent years, esp in the recent months, even. It is not only that i get more often asked to install them Linux, i even get surprised by people who i'd never expect something like this from, that they got some Linux Mint or Ubuntu by them self and are very happy with it.

Many refuse Windows 10 or Windows in general, Microsoft didn't do a great job in earning ppl's trust in the recent past, Apple didn't either.

However as pointed out before, Darktable and Gimp (and Krita) are very nice tools but they are not always nice enough (well Krita maybe is for its, but my focus is on Affinity Photo here) - i actually came here because i had something in my head about Affinity and Linux but maybe i was wrong after all, which is sad because i really wanted to buy a license and i really know ppl who could use it as well ... but "unfortunately" ... are running Linux.

As for myself... i was playing with the thought of trying some it with Wine but ... i am too afraid of getting frustrated with this workaround.

Even Blackmagic (and various other companies meanwhile) is doing it, please port it to Linux, as for packaging, just just Snap or Flatpak!

Time for my +1 and offer to crowdfund.  I have bought Affinity on Windows, Mac and iOS, and I don't mind a seperate license and fee for each one, because it is worth it. However, Windows has become to big of a security hazard and simply is not reliable.  I actually don't mind the UI etc... but I don't feel like I can trust it.  I have never had that issue with Linux.

I know Linux is scary with so many distros and a broad label, but one .deb and one .rpm would make a lot of people happy; hell, even just an Ubuntu release would make a huge difference.

Come on Affinity - what is the number? Surely $500K, $1 million, whatever, would make it worth your while.

I also switched from MacOS to Linux - as Linux desktop is becoming extremly sexy the last 5 years.
As Adobe will not move in direction of linux - I hope you guys are willing in port to Linux.
because there is a lack of good alternative for Photoshop on Linux.
The onyl one I'm using in the past on Mac was Affinity photo.

I will join a crowd founding to make a linux port !

I also would love to see Affinity or an equivalent on Linux. I've read quite a few messages on this forum and, not rising to the obvious trolls, WINE is not an option as it won't even run the installer. I'm currently creating an OS-X VirtualBox VM, as I have an OS-X license key, which may have more success.

Has anyone tried Corel's AfterShot? They have native clients for OS-X, Linux and the other platform.

• 3 weeks later...

Steam works on linux. Time for mac and windows to die has finally come. Evolve or perish. Since I can play on linux, I have absolutely no need for any other system. Proportion of people having work that does not require at least a limited use of linux will decrease over next few decades, because machines will take over most of the manufacturing (the same thing that happened to the agriculture during 19th/20th century in the developed countries). If the Serif choses to go on a dead end path that is their problem. An opportunity for another developer. I would gladly spend the cost equivalent to what I paid for the Affinity, which is useless to me now, on some software that works on linux and can handle complicated files as opposed to the Ink..crush..sc...pleasewait...ape. 

• 4 weeks later...

There is a atomic shit ton of ignorance about Linux on here. Super misinformed, and very 1998 in it's experiences. There are some valid criticisms of the Linux desktop, though they are wrapped in layers of wrong.

However, I don't think that anyone should petition Serif for Affinity. They clearly and officially don't care about that market.

The FOSS folks should consider the crowdfunding angle, but instead of offering Affinity money for what would clearly be a half assed port, use it to fund the basis of a design package similar to Affinity, and use the money to put out BountySource rewards on the features.

The hard part in Open Source, isn't the software, it's connecting the people. Which isn't my forte, so I'm just talking the talk without walking the walk, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, LucasKA said:

There is a atomic shit ton of ignorance about Linux on here. Super misinformed, and very 1998 in it's experiences.

1994 (probably some taste earlier) - 1996, indeed. Started with Debian, Slackware, Redhat distros. Typically installed with floppy disks at the beginning. All through 2014, using it at home and at the job, daily, console, desktop and VMs. Working in a team developing large websites and also doing tons of system stuff. Last company always dealing with win/linux PC machines, and macs, besides the VMs. After that year, been installing distros and solving (this is yet currently!) issues to family and friends (with the most user friendly distros for them) who would throw the distro to my face (in 1 month, 1 year, 2 days...) at the most minimal discomfort. Just not having Linux in my machine anymore, despite all the previous years with multi-boot and solely Linux at times. But I suppose I'm misinformed.