You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

45 minutes ago, chiddekel said:

This library and software you metoind do noting with with porting affinity to Linux universal binary [elf]. The question is which libraray can be use adidional, to with minimal effort, compile existing code to Linux distro?

Yep, I was speaking about Gimp, as the right alternative loyal linux users should support... And is fresh news that they have finally implemented GEGL, indeed, very good news (I do want Gimp and Krita to succeed, both indeed, despite having decided for Affinity).  You people keep pointing to the  technical matter of porting the (dunno if C++ and .NET in the case of Windows) while that is not the main issue. It is all about the matter of the company having no interest in porting to Linux, for business reasons, human resource usage, expected income  from it, availability (and I guess, to move to the UK) of professionals with certain curriculum of 15 years coding graphic apps of the level of Affinity's, Xara, etc.  You speak about it as if porting it to some Linux format or library was all pending barrier left... ! (is a matter of reading comprehension, maybe...)

which libraray can be use adidional, to with minimal effort, compile existing code to Linux distro

Have you opened at least once Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo ? have you seen how complex and complete are these applications ? No way porting all that is gonna be a task of "minimal effort", IMO.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

@chiddekel

Thank you for the input, but Serif do not lack the technical know how to port to Linux.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
6 minutes ago, chiddekel said:

Fonts always can be buy and import.

Er, OK.... But Serif is also the name of the company that I work for, and who create the Affinity software. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

52 minutes ago, SrPx said:

Yep, I was speaking about Gimp, as the right alternative loyal linux users should support... And is fresh news that they have finally implemented GEGL, indeed, very good news (I do want Gimp and Krita to succeed, both indeed, despite having decided for Affinity).  You people keep pointing to the  technical matter of porting the (dunno if C++ and .NET in the case of Windows) while that is not the main issue. It is all about the matter of the company having no interest in porting to Linux, for business reasons, human resource usage, expected income  from it, availability (and I guess, to move to the UK) of professionals with certain curriculum of 15 years coding graphic apps of the level of Affinity's, Xara, etc.  You speak about it as if porting it to some Linux format or library was all pending barrier left... ! (is a matter of reading comprehension, maybe...)

Have you opened at least once Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo ? have you seen how complex and complete are these applications ? No way porting all that is gonna be a task of "minimal effort", IMO.

Linux user make own extensions ¦] http://registry.gimp.org/glossary/b

This is biussnes - sell Affinity product on Valve steam software shop. Today we have growing base of tools and technology from Microsoft that run on any platform. Office 360, typescript, visual studio code, dot net core 2.1, azure for Linux, etc, etc.

Today even, with llvm - is possible compile an C++ app... To js

http://kripken.github.io/emscripten-site/

32 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Er, OK.... But Serif is also the name of the company that I work for, and who create the Affinity software. 

The same case - What Serif company think about users. Linux it is also Pro user - Red Hat, Centros, Fedora workstation. This name are now brands in it world.

7 minutes ago, chiddekel said:

LOL - so where is the Linux Version :]

The same place as the Linux versions of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Quark XPress, Corel Draw, Microsoft Office etc, etc, etc ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

39 minutes ago, chiddekel said:

LOL - so where is the Linux Version :]

You are completely missing the point. They -- meaning the employees of Serif (Europe) Ltd., a company, not a font style -- have made it very, very clear several times in this very long topic that they currently have no plans to develop Linux versions of the Affinity apps. This is not because they lack the the technical expertise to do so. It is because it would be a bad business decision for the company. There are several reasons why this is so, all of which have been explained multiple times in this discussion.

Whether you agree with their reasoning or not is beside the point. You are not going to change their minds, particularly by rehashing the same tired old arguments they have rejected over & over.

To put it as plainly & simply as possible, you are wasting your time with all of your posts. These arguments did not change their minds in the past & there is no good reason to think they will now.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Rather this could be - there completely missing the point. The employees of Serif (Europe) Ltd - have no plans to develop and sell versions of the Affinity apps work on Ubuntu and or Fedora Workstation 28.

What does this mean?

It's can mean:

1. Ability to replace default compilator of Microsoft Visual Studio Code to  GCC/LLVM

2. Set GCC/LLVM target platform switch between Mac(Win)Lin

3.Look for gcc c++ standard version
GCC Versions

The various GCC versions are:

• GCC version 1 (1987): Initial version that support C.
  • GCC version 2 (1992): supports C++.
  • GCC version 3 (2001): incorporating ECGS (Experimental GNU Compiler System), with improve optimization.
  • GCC version 4 (2005):
  • GCC version 5 (2015):
  • GCC Version 6 (2016):
  • GCC Version 7 (2017):
C++ Standard Support

There are various C++ standards:

• C++98
  • C++11 (aka C++0x)
  • C++14 (aka C++1y)
  • C++17 (aka C++1z)
  • C++2a (next planned standard in 2020)

The default mode is C++98 for GCC versions prior to 6.1, and C++14 for GCC 6.1 and above. You can use command-line flag -std to explicitly specify the C++ standard. For example,

• -std=c++98, or -std=gnu++98 (C++98 with GNU extensions)
  • -std=c++11, or -std=gnu++11 (C++11 with GNU extensions)
  • -std=c++14, or -std=gnu++14 (C++14 with GNU extensions), default mode for GCC 6.1 and above.
  • -std=c++17, or -std=gnu++17 (C++17 with GNU extensions), experimental.
  • -std=c++2a, or -std=gnu++2a (C++2a with GNU extensions), experimental.

1.2  Installing GCC on Unixes

GNU Toolchain, including GCC, is included in all Unixes. It is the standard compiler for most Unix-like operating systems.gcc -v

Open a Terminal, and enter "gcc --v".

$ gcc -v
Target: x86_64-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix

1.3  Installing GCC on Mac OS X

Open a Terminal, and enter "gcc --version". If gcc is not installed, the system will prompt you to install gcc.

$ gcc --version
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0   // 64-bit target codes

You are completely missing the point. They -- meaning the employees of Serif (Europe) Ltd., a company, not a font style -- have made it very, very clear several times in this very long topic that they currently have no plans to develop Linux versions of the Affinity apps. This is not because they lack the the technical expertise to do so. It is because it would be a bad business decision for the company. There are several reasons why this is so, all of which have been explained multiple times in this discussion.

Whether you agree with their reasoning or not is beside the point. You are not going to change their minds, particularly by rehashing the same tired old arguments they have rejected over & over.

To put it as plainly & simply as possible, you are wasting your time with all of your posts. These arguments did not change their minds in the past & there is no good reason to think they will now.

Just what I tried to explain above, but much better worded, as usual. And all I know is from what has been said a gazillion times by the company itself.

If any of these posters are actual programmers, no matter if one works (happens so very much too when freelancing making art, design. I wouldn't have been able to finish even one lonely gig) as a freelancer or in-house at some company : One needs to understand what is being told. Whatever the statement, explanation or client request. Till every little detail and aspect of the matter, of any communication (applies greatly, too, in general personal relations). Or one would never solve well the problem, do the works attending to the specs and requests from a client or project manager, resulting in a total disaster... If doing so, you are not solving that problem or implementing that project for someone. You are just at one of the Jupiter's moons, doing something else, nobody knows what...

I mean, basic reading comprehension is so basic for any coder. And any designer/artist.  The other possibility of what might be happening here since many thread pages, is all of you (I believe mostly young Linux users) trying to force a company to go your way (extremely opposed to the core open source philosophy), with a varied range of posts styles, going from polite to rude, but in the best case, ignoring all stated by the company (which is rude by itself, even if all is said with the kindest words). For people believing that's gonna fly somehow, no offense, but that's a bit naive...

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

15 minutes ago, chiddekel said:

What does this mean?

Are you using google translator?. It means that, at least currently, they do NOT WANT to port their code to Linux ( Patrick just said they are more than capable to port it (no surprise here), and yet you paste some technical lines to...er..."help" them?... ) , and you are most probably making them to want it even less, probably making them to hate the possibility for ever... So, bad attempt, IMHO....Plus, I believe you are staying in the very surface of the technical problem of the port, even.. I mean, in case the technical aspect was the issue .Which they have already told you that it is not. 

GCC on Fedora

Target: x86_64-redhat-linux             //       64-bit target codes

GCC on Mac OS X
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin 14.5.0   // 64-bit target codes

Opengl

https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Getting_Started

:] Basically it's mean - they have trouble :] To configure build machine for Fedora Workstation 28 and or Ubuntu. That whay they say will not have plans to make such build from existing code base - even that code is posix compatible :]

1 hour ago, chiddekel said:

:] Basically it's mean - they have trouble :] To configure build machine for Fedora Workstation 28 and or Ubuntu. That whay they say will not have plans to make such build from existing code base - even that code is posix compatible :]

Which part of the post below have you failed to understand? :/

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

You are completely missing the point. They -- meaning the employees of Serif (Europe) Ltd., a company, not a font style -- have made it very, very clear several times in this very long topic that they currently have no plans to develop Linux versions of the Affinity apps. This is not because they lack the the technical expertise to do so. It is because it would be a bad business decision for the company. There are several reasons why this is so, all of which have been explained multiple times in this discussion.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 hours ago, walts.photo said:

This thread reminds me of an old comedy act.  

Like Monty Python and the dead parrot.

Instead of insisting the parrot is not dead, the salesman would insist over and over "Linux is a good platform to port your software to."

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

4 minutes ago, toltec said:

Like Monty Python and the dead parrot.

Instead of insisting the parrot is not dead, the salesman would insist over and over "Linux is a good platform to port your software to."

“Beautiful plumage!” xD

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, walts.photo said:

This thread reminds me of an old comedy act.  

I was thinking it has become a lot like Monty Python's Argument Clinic sketch, but with the added twist that Palin's character neither speaks nor understands English very well.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Which part of the post below have you failed to understand? :/

All of it, apparently.

Affinity Photo 

It also reminds me the last scene of "Some like it hot", and we all would be Jack Lemmon... Although is not such a good example, as we are giving him real facts.... I just like that film, lol.