You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

15 minutes ago, 1stn00b said:

Do you actually think i have time to waste on that trash OS called W10. Wasn't Windows suppose to be noob friendly ?

And it is, if you keep it updated (which is also easy).

If you think of it as trash, and ignore it, and don't keep it updated, then you get the trash you expected.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It's up to date - latest version of Microsoft Landfill aka Store, that was the 1st thing i opened when booting into W10 and after the WCLibs error -that btw are being updated thru the Store if u didn't know it.  Also i don't need Windows related troubleshooting because i was using it since W3.11 on an PC with Turbo button.  Why do you think i use Linux ?

Fedora Workstation 39

Same in my situation. I am used to Windows from 95 up to 10, but I prefer 7 or 8.1 as last true version. 10 is a joke and I use it only for "business".

Win 11 is even worse than 10 because of hardware discrimination (valid only for those who have CPU from 2019 onwards). While you can install W11 on those pre 2019, it gets sluggish (it has same code under the hood but uses a different store which is in the center of the OS); and if it has Win10 on it, somehow miraculously works normal.

(Even the 7 or 8.1 have their problems also, I agree (for example 7 didn't have internet connection driver out-of-box, and it had to be installed with the client's mainboard driver CD back in old days), while 8.1 had good Win7 fixes but had that Metro thing for tablets as default for all devices.)

After the major updates fiasco with forced updates ...the one where HDDs were formatted "for free, out of charge, not accidentally", the HP or whatever brand that had drivers and functionality problems (only those with that brand had this great feature experience), the latest one in 2020 which in summer, all images were corrupted and couldn't be printed straight forward (all had to be forced converted into PDF and most small copy business centers used some free online PDF converters) and even Wacom drivers had problems in Windows... (on one hand.. if after one update, wacom drivers didn't work 100% alright, Wacom fixed it, then after another update it was broken again, and irony.. reverting to a previous driver version fixed it (LOL) and it was clear that it wasn't a Wacom driver thing from the start)

So from this situation, I prefer to use Win 10 in a virtual box, and have Linux Ubuntu (or Ubuntu Studio / Debian later on if I switch distribution, still with .deb or snap) for a safety measure. W10 is not trusted enough to let it be a main OS on a working PC/Laptop (with internet cable in it, day by day)

At Linux and Mac there are not such fake troubleshooting problems, if there are.. it's truly from let's say.. Wacom hardware/drivers and not the OS. (I am not talking about fresh releases of new Wacom devices which need some time until drivers and updated and such to work on OSs, this is normal. I talk about already working devices, released some time ago, and worked)

And don't say stuff like "you can now disable updates if you want". I know that, but it has a twisted side also that many didn't encounter. If you don't update the OS after 3 years (and do only small fixes updates and stuff), you will get a "expiration" notification and it's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to update it. On 8 or 7 or XP , I could let it disabled even for 6+ years and it didn't happen this. Plus I had the possibility to choose only some updates to make which were needed. In the 10, if you didn't update for those 3 years (real case study from personal experience, repairing computers btw), once you started updating, it had to literally get EVERY SINGLE previous update in order, no skipping any minor or middle patches (even the ones with problems that were reported).

@MattyWS They can't change the present from the chosen path from the past. They chose to be tied to dedicated libraries that are tied to a OS (and adapt them individually, making many repeating tasks written differently) instead of making a universal app with their own home-made libraries, and then just do strings attach (like frameworks home-made) as minimum to dedicated libraries for each OS, for example for things that are not displaying the same (like in old days with Javascript displaying differently on browsers) and nowadays with webkit-like things. They had more power of control and just go forward being able to adapt to any scenario, and keeping their base unified.

We can only adapt to their choice by using virtual machines with w10, and we'll see in 5-10-15 years what happens (continuous development, or a new suite rewritten)

2 hours ago, ShadeOn said:

@MattyWS They can't change the present from the chosen path from the past. They chose to be tied to dedicated libraries that are tied to a OS (and adapt them individually, making many repeating tasks written differently) instead of making a universal app with their own home-made libraries, and then just do strings attach (like frameworks home-made) as minimum to dedicated libraries for each OS, for example for things that are not displaying the same (like in old days with Javascript displaying differently on browsers) and nowadays with webkit-like things. They had more power of control and just go forward being able to adapt to any scenario, and keeping their base unified.

yup, thats really their own failing though and now they're limited with what the can do with the software they've made. It's a shame because affinity suite is great but yea, if they didn't have the foresight to make their software cross platform then it's a real shame. It seems to be unnecessarily hard work for Serif to support just the three platforms (windows, mac and iOS). Strange they'd support iOS but not android either, considering android has a larger market share than iOS.. if their reasoning is that there's more people on mac than linux.

You should make this available for Linux. You'd dominate that market because there simply isn't anything of Affinity's calibre available on Linux.

Side-note: lots of non-Linux users in this thread explaining to us how we won't pay for the software we're asking to pay for and how our PCs don't work. You're incorrect lol.

I refuse to use Windows or Mac and the only place where I feel the lack is graphics design in CMYK color space.

My 2 cent conclusion is the majority of Windows users that combat Linux never use it or they did it during the 2005-2010 Ubuntu trend for short period of time to be cool and that's their basic knowledge.

Also a big deterrent to Linux desktop adoption was and still is Novideo that can't or won't provide quality drivers that don't brick your whole system.

Fedora Workstation 39

6 hours ago, MattyWS said:

yup, thats really their own failing though and now they're limited with what the can do with the software they've made. It's a shame because affinity suite is great but yea, if they didn't have the foresight to make their software cross platform then it's a real shame. It seems to be unnecessarily hard work for Serif to support just the three platforms (windows, mac and iOS). Strange they'd support iOS but not android either, considering android has a larger market share than iOS.. if their reasoning is that there's more people on mac than linux.

i think this is also the reason why Affinity can achieve such great performance in each supported platform 🙂
Also good marketing exposure from Apple or MS by using its tech.

Yeah unfortunately no Linux.

Maybe when affinity introducing web app version, Thats when it finally available for linux.

They could very literally have made affinity work like native through wine tbh. I know Serif said they won't be supporting linux, but it could have been kinda simple. Like some of the latest and greatest videogames that are being released with day 1 steamdeck support are actually just windows games, even though steamdeck is linux. That's how easy things are getting. Serif could dedicate a little time to wine development specifically for their product and be done, everyone on linux would have a working suite worth using.

Heck my company doesn't support a linux version of our game, but when it stopped working on steamdeck after an update my colleagues went out and got a steamdeck, fixed the issue and released a patch *just* for linux support, despite being a windows game. This honestly is how it should be. with software development. Devs should be passionate about getting their product into the hands of people that want it. :D

What game ? :>

Anyway i have hundreds of games in my Steam Library that work natively or thru Proton on my Fedora and those games were paid for just in case the anti-linux crowd think we don't pay for things and expect everything for free or open-source.

Many games i don't evem play, but bought them because they had native Linux support.

Fedora Workstation 39

On 11/10/2022 at 2:50 PM, Unleavened Tech said:

Affinity 2.0? No Linux support in 2022? No way I'm supporting this company again... And I don't recommend anyone else to do so either.

Look for alternatives:

• Inkscape: Honestly, Inkscape isn't as bad as I used to think. It's a pretty okay and capable vector editing application. The UI and UX do take some time to get used to, but it is a real Illustrator / Designer alternative, and even has features that Affinity Designer doesn't.
  • GIMP: On the other hand, GIMP is still where it used to be 20 years ago: it's an alternative to Adobe Photoshop 1.0. GIMP is still stuck at GTK 2 I believe, so it is not really developed that much anymore, so that's why it's so behind any other photo editing application like Photoshop or Affinity Photo.
  • Krita: Still missing some features, but more actively developed than GIMP, and it already is more capable than GIMP.
  • Photoshop / Illustrator: There are methods for getting both to work on Wine, although they are older versions (2018 I think).
  • Photoshop Web: It's an online version of Adobe Photoshop, available for free (as in free beer, not as in freedom). You do need an Adobe account though.
  • Photopea: Another online photo editor, also available for free (as in free beer, not as in freedom). Better compatibility with PSD formats than Affinity Photo. Pretty capable.
  • MiniPaint: Free & open-source online photo editor, quite new, so it lacks a lot of features, but still has some that GIMP lacks. Might be useful in the future.
  • Pinta: Free & open-source alternative to Paint.net.
  • Gravit Designer: vector graphics application.

I see that Krita let's you do CMYK color space. So this will replace Gimp and Affinity for me. I used Affinity for printed materials when I was using Windows. I've abandoned Windows and now Krita seems to be basically my only option. And it's pretty good.

10 minutes ago, pattmayne said:

I see that Krita let's you do CMYK color space. So this will replace Gimp and Affinity for me. I used Affinity for printed materials when I was using Windows. I've abandoned Windows and now Krita seems to be basically my only option. And it's pretty good.

Photoline runs under wine and handles cmyk just fine. I don't know what you use a photo editor for, but it may be an option. 

Viva Designer has a Linux version for layout. 

26 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Photoline runs under wine and handles cmyk just fine. I don't know what you use a photo editor for, but it may be an option. 

Viva Designer has a Linux version for layout. 

Good to know. I'm going to try to avoid Wine and just use native Linux stuff if I can!

1 hour ago, pattmayne said:

Yeah, that's what we have been using for about a year now after my business switched to using mainly PopOS. we do mainly Vector and Raster art, but when I do need to manipulate a photo it does just fine. I'd rather support a native solution that supports the platform than duct a half broken solution that could be broken with each new version. Inkscape 1.2 replaced Designer for us and Krita mostly replaced Photoshop/Photo. We also use Dark Table and RawTherapee as well. Honestly, there isn't a whole lot we miss. YMMV but we made it work for us.

22 minutes ago, 1stn00b said:

Development version of GIMP got CMYK , GTK 3 and many other things : https://www.gimp.org/news/2022/08/27/gimp-2-99-12-released/ almost ready for 3.0 release. And it's available on Flathub beta repository :

GIMPbera.png.f8f8189f6dbeb6dd1089173900b4945e.png

That's cool! One more major roadblock removed. Hopefully after that, they'll focus on UI/UX like Inkscape did.

2 hours ago, jacekl said:

Hello,

I managed to fire up AD 1.0 on Ubuntu (under wine) after several hours of struggle.

JcFFDMn.png

However, I can't run the version 2.0 installer for the hell of it. It's a file with .msix extension, does anyone know how to install it under Bootles?

.msix isn't as well supported as .exe as far as I understand. Due to this it's not likely to happen anytime soon.