You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

You should make this available for Linux. You'd dominate that market because there simply isn't anything of Affinity's calibre available on Linux.

Side-note: lots of non-Linux users in this thread explaining to us how we won't pay for the software we're asking to pay for and how our PCs don't work. You're incorrect lol.

I refuse to use Windows or Mac and the only place where I feel the lack is graphics design in CMYK color space.

My 2 cent conclusion is the majority of Windows users that combat Linux never use it or they did it during the 2005-2010 Ubuntu trend for short period of time to be cool and that's their basic knowledge.

Also a big deterrent to Linux desktop adoption was and still is Novideo that can't or won't provide quality drivers that don't brick your whole system.

Fedora Workstation 39

6 hours ago, MattyWS said:

yup, thats really their own failing though and now they're limited with what the can do with the software they've made. It's a shame because affinity suite is great but yea, if they didn't have the foresight to make their software cross platform then it's a real shame. It seems to be unnecessarily hard work for Serif to support just the three platforms (windows, mac and iOS). Strange they'd support iOS but not android either, considering android has a larger market share than iOS.. if their reasoning is that there's more people on mac than linux.

i think this is also the reason why Affinity can achieve such great performance in each supported platform 🙂
Also good marketing exposure from Apple or MS by using its tech.

Yeah unfortunately no Linux.

Maybe when affinity introducing web app version, Thats when it finally available for linux.

They could very literally have made affinity work like native through wine tbh. I know Serif said they won't be supporting linux, but it could have been kinda simple. Like some of the latest and greatest videogames that are being released with day 1 steamdeck support are actually just windows games, even though steamdeck is linux. That's how easy things are getting. Serif could dedicate a little time to wine development specifically for their product and be done, everyone on linux would have a working suite worth using.

Heck my company doesn't support a linux version of our game, but when it stopped working on steamdeck after an update my colleagues went out and got a steamdeck, fixed the issue and released a patch *just* for linux support, despite being a windows game. This honestly is how it should be. with software development. Devs should be passionate about getting their product into the hands of people that want it. :D

What game ? :>

Anyway i have hundreds of games in my Steam Library that work natively or thru Proton on my Fedora and those games were paid for just in case the anti-linux crowd think we don't pay for things and expect everything for free or open-source.

Many games i don't evem play, but bought them because they had native Linux support.

Fedora Workstation 39

On 11/10/2022 at 2:50 PM, Unleavened Tech said:

Affinity 2.0? No Linux support in 2022? No way I'm supporting this company again... And I don't recommend anyone else to do so either.

Look for alternatives:

• Inkscape: Honestly, Inkscape isn't as bad as I used to think. It's a pretty okay and capable vector editing application. The UI and UX do take some time to get used to, but it is a real Illustrator / Designer alternative, and even has features that Affinity Designer doesn't.
  • GIMP: On the other hand, GIMP is still where it used to be 20 years ago: it's an alternative to Adobe Photoshop 1.0. GIMP is still stuck at GTK 2 I believe, so it is not really developed that much anymore, so that's why it's so behind any other photo editing application like Photoshop or Affinity Photo.
  • Krita: Still missing some features, but more actively developed than GIMP, and it already is more capable than GIMP.
  • Photoshop / Illustrator: There are methods for getting both to work on Wine, although they are older versions (2018 I think).
  • Photoshop Web: It's an online version of Adobe Photoshop, available for free (as in free beer, not as in freedom). You do need an Adobe account though.
  • Photopea: Another online photo editor, also available for free (as in free beer, not as in freedom). Better compatibility with PSD formats than Affinity Photo. Pretty capable.
  • MiniPaint: Free & open-source online photo editor, quite new, so it lacks a lot of features, but still has some that GIMP lacks. Might be useful in the future.
  • Pinta: Free & open-source alternative to Paint.net.
  • Gravit Designer: vector graphics application.

I see that Krita let's you do CMYK color space. So this will replace Gimp and Affinity for me. I used Affinity for printed materials when I was using Windows. I've abandoned Windows and now Krita seems to be basically my only option. And it's pretty good.

10 minutes ago, pattmayne said:

I see that Krita let's you do CMYK color space. So this will replace Gimp and Affinity for me. I used Affinity for printed materials when I was using Windows. I've abandoned Windows and now Krita seems to be basically my only option. And it's pretty good.

Photoline runs under wine and handles cmyk just fine. I don't know what you use a photo editor for, but it may be an option. 

Viva Designer has a Linux version for layout. 

26 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Photoline runs under wine and handles cmyk just fine. I don't know what you use a photo editor for, but it may be an option. 

Viva Designer has a Linux version for layout. 

Good to know. I'm going to try to avoid Wine and just use native Linux stuff if I can!

1 hour ago, pattmayne said:

Yeah, that's what we have been using for about a year now after my business switched to using mainly PopOS. we do mainly Vector and Raster art, but when I do need to manipulate a photo it does just fine. I'd rather support a native solution that supports the platform than duct a half broken solution that could be broken with each new version. Inkscape 1.2 replaced Designer for us and Krita mostly replaced Photoshop/Photo. We also use Dark Table and RawTherapee as well. Honestly, there isn't a whole lot we miss. YMMV but we made it work for us.

22 minutes ago, 1stn00b said:

Development version of GIMP got CMYK , GTK 3 and many other things : https://www.gimp.org/news/2022/08/27/gimp-2-99-12-released/ almost ready for 3.0 release. And it's available on Flathub beta repository :

GIMPbera.png.f8f8189f6dbeb6dd1089173900b4945e.png

That's cool! One more major roadblock removed. Hopefully after that, they'll focus on UI/UX like Inkscape did.

2 hours ago, jacekl said:

Hello,

I managed to fire up AD 1.0 on Ubuntu (under wine) after several hours of struggle.

JcFFDMn.png

However, I can't run the version 2.0 installer for the hell of it. It's a file with .msix extension, does anyone know how to install it under Bootles?

.msix isn't as well supported as .exe as far as I understand. Due to this it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Interesting.. the first scratches of thorns on the skin for making a 100% dedicated client to an OS using ONLY what that OS is promoting (by being the only way, ignore the rest) to enhance the whole apps developed on that platform comes as a backfire. (not even those who promote those on that platform can confirm if it's bad or good.. yikes!) (and we talk about W10/11 here..)

Now they got into a fork path.. continue doing 100% what an OS says it's best (and ignoring other old school working ways on that OS) or do what things work so users can use the apps and get their $$$$ in their pockets.

That Topic 1stn00bb added before shows that W10/11 already starts not to be a noob's os like in the old days it was known for. (click-click-yes/no-yes/no->finish->open->yay it works and now I can play/work with it) and it clearly shows where Windows will head to in the future.

While I agree I am a Windowist (since I grown up with as OS) and am used to it's way of how it was organized to the user's mindset and workflow, W10/11 kinda starts to break, either making too simplistic and some details are hidden (and later on you have problems troubleshooting it like in that above topic, and some changes cannot be made in the visual side), or they re-organize all the logical that was fine for decades, into new "try out" (and untested enough, but forces to be used as standard ASAP and patches after patches along the way... ) like the brands that change their logo even though the brand's name is same and all people know it. What I want to say is that people are starting to change stuff that worked and had logic into something different, subjective "just so we could refresh stuff cause we don't feel alright to use same stuff like our parents or grandparents used". Good thing Tesla cars don't burn out of nothing while driving or in the parking space..

Anyway.. if they change the installation client mode and it makes it possible to install afterwards in Wine, we're back on the good road.

Like the user "Zero Zero" sums up very nice trying to remind Affinity their mission and why they started doing Graphics Programs (cause they like what they are doing and want to let others use it also, as any developer's heart + mind set should be) :

" I very much like what Serif is doing with Affinity and love the software but cannot stand this insane change to the standard installation procedure.

Please Serif fix this unwanted installation mess asap. and please retain some independence from the dumbing-down that Micro$oft continually applies to Windows in the so-called attempt to make it better.

I sincerely hope you listen. "

14 hours ago, 1stn00b said:

Seems they will give us MSI installers :

One more reason that I abandoned Windows. That thread is beautiful lol. Tell us again how we're wrong to request Linux compatibility.

But it sucks that I'll never be able to use the Affinity software that I paid for.

@ShadeOn

Windows 11/10 is just a rotten onion built from decades of development debt where they added trash on top of old trash, hardcoded fixes and call it a day. Just look at that "new" Explorer as an example - the 2 trillion $ company just couldn't write a new modern file explorer - they just glued some "mica" blurred toolbars on top : >

Fedora Workstation 39

3 hours ago, pattmayne said:

But it sucks that I'll never be able to use the Affinity software that I paid for.

Why did you pay for it? Especially V2, if you've purchased it, when you knew it was not supported on Linux.

With the MSI, V2 may run as well on Linux as V1 did. Or not, depending on what other dependencies V2 has added that Wine and friends don't support yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

26 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

With the MSI, V2 may run as well on Linux as V1 did. Or not, depending on what other dependencies V2 has added that Wine and friends don't support yet.

As long as we have a chance to install it on Wine/Bottles, and Mark can pin-point us why some errors appear and 1stn00b or others can't fix it without those dependencies, I welcome it, since we can skip the virtual machine :)

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Why did you pay for it? Especially V2, if you've purchased it, when you knew it was not supported on Linux.

I bought it and used it when I was using Windows 7.

21 minutes ago, pattmayne said:

I bought it and used it when I was using Windows 7.

Thanks for the clarification. It sounded like you were talking about a new purchase. And that part of the thread seemed to be about the changes in V2.

V1 has never worked on Linux, officially, either. And you can keep using V1; just keep using Windows. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1