You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

If it's something that not even Wine currently can handle, it means they had a stormy weather to rush things (like I stated in some posts ago) for a reason (or majority won who voted for functionality over flexibility).

When you indeed need it, I can only sum up that until CrossOver will check on this topic, VMware or equivalent (virtual machines) are the only valid options with Windows 10 on it (since the V2 I see them having dropped Win 8.1 (and 7) from the list, which is not good... at least 8.1 should have still been on the list).

And btw.. I don't see anywhere something about half price discount for those who own V1 and want to upgrade :) , only the limited time offer on time of writing this post.

1 hour ago, ShadeOn said:

at least 8.1 should have still been

Nope, Microsoft will only support W10 e W11 starting next year, no one is gonna support W7 and 8.1 anymore. Even Chrome will drop the support for them!

7 hours ago, 1stn00b said:

RAW Therapee & Darktable do non-destructive raw edits and much more and give you creative freedom on all PC platforms for free : >

I didn't quite get why you mentioned these two softwares, I mean, if you want to compare AP with a free software that should be either GIMP or Krita, which none of them are good with non-destructive edits. RAW Therapee & Darktable are akin to LR, so comparing them with AP doesn't really make any sense.

1 minute ago, 1stn00b said:

since u mentioned non-destructive raw edits as a new thing

I didn't, I said we got it in the new update. I was listing the new features because someone said that there was nothing new in V2.

Also, Inkscape is one the best free software when it comes to open source stuff. But while in the vector space of the things we have Inkscape, and for photography we have RAW Therapee and Darktable, when it comes to image manipulation and high-end edits nothing comes close to the paid options. The only real option is GIMP, but it is a poorly-put-together swiss army knife, a literal mess.

And non-destructive RAW editing in AP is just a bonus, one of those nice things to have, especially because Serif doesn't have a LR alternative, so it is worth mentioning.

How can it be a bonus if u have to pay for it ?  If it were to be added to V1 then yes : >

As for Gimp it just need more love, things should improve a lot once they release V3 with GTK3 - it's progress - not like InkScape that is now migrating to GTK4 - but should make the software more usable from a UI/UX point of view.

Fedora Workstation 39

2 hours ago, ShadeOn said:

And btw.. I don't see anywhere something about half price discount for those who own V1 and want to upgrade :) , only the limited time offer on time of writing this post.

To be honest, I was expecting the exact same thing. I was really surprised to see we didn’t get any kind of special deal for being long-time customers :(

33 minutes ago, 1stn00b said:

How can it be a bonus if u have to pay for it ?  If it were to be added to V1 then yes : >

Lol, that's what you pay for, to get new stuff and for the old stuff to keep working, like in any other paid software. Now, just because you pay it doesn't mean that you'll have anything you want. You gotta understand when something good happens. nd-raw edit is one of those, you like it or not.

37 minutes ago, 1stn00b said:

Gimp it just need more love

GIMP needs to be rebuilt from scratch at some point. It has almost all the good features you'd want in it, but they are not intuitive and the interface doesn't help. I guess taking a lot of stuff out building it with usability in mind might help, like what they did with Inkscape. Just switching from GTK-X to GTK-X won't help, gotta put effort to make everything make sense, and that's where paid software usually shines.

12 minutes ago, D’T4ils said:

To be honest, I was expecting the exact same thing. I was really surprised to see we didn’t get any kind of special deal for being long-time customers :(

Same, though 40% off + Universal Licensing is already a great deal, though I won't be buying it lol
EDIT: it seems to be even cheaper if bought from MS Store

The deal is good, £90 for all of their software on all supported platforms is a steal to be fair. Linux sadly isn't one of those platforms, though I would still love for it to be. Anyways, I guess with v2 they've kinda cut off any chance of using affinity on linux for now.

Gimp needs more than some love. Gimp needs to either be build from the ground up or be taken on by a decent company like Blender has. Without a decent backing, Gimp is nothing. Progress on updates are extremely slow and the updates that are coming according to the roadmap are minimal, meanwhile Blender is blazing forward taking over the 3D industry with every update they bring. It's a real shame tbh. 

Krita is great but limited to its own thing, hand painted raster images. Inkscape is not very intuitive, especially compared to the likes of Affinity Designer, but I respect that its a good application once you learn how to use it.

In the end like 1stn00b said, darktable is a great photo editor (specifically only photo editor really). It's a shame there's nothing really like Affinity Photo or Photoshop for us on Linux that can be taken seriously. These days I really just use darktable for editing images in batches, substance designer for channel packing and photopea if I need to do any random image manipulating thats not too heavy. The Affinity Suite on linux would just be awesome. There are millions of linux users out there wanting this and even more people who don't realise they want it until it comes.

Comparing Gimp or any other open-source software to Blender is very unfair, since the latest has the cashflow to sustain development and also a pool of developers available from bigger companies.

But yes, like u said Gimp, InkScape are not user friendly to the "default people" that can't change preferences :>

Fedora Workstation 39

11 minutes ago, 1stn00b said:

But yes, like u said Gimp, InkScape are not user friendly

I would argue that Inkscape is pretty user-friendly, even when compared to paid software. I still find the interface, especially the panels, to be kind of off-putting, though. Maybe it is because I used it a lot, or probably because it kind of reminds me of the old CorelDRAW. But yeah, can't compare many open source software with Blender.

49 minutes ago, 1stn00b said:

Comparing Gimp or any other open-source software to Blender is very unfair, since the latest has the cashflow to sustain development and also a pool of developers available from bigger companies.

But yes, like u said Gimp, InkScape are not user friendly to the "default people" that can't change preferences :>

I disagree that comparing gimp and blender is unfair. I specifically said gimp needs to have that backing to succeed, not that gimp isn't succeeding despite having some kind of backing. :D

Also if the "default" is not user friendly thats the problem of the application not people IMO. Why would it be non-user friendly by default on purpose?

19 minutes ago, Unleavened Tech said:

Affinity 2.0? No Linux support in 2022? No way I'm supporting this company again... And I don't recommend anyone else to do so either.

Look for alternatives:

• Inkscape: Honestly, Inkscape isn't as bad as I used to think. It's a pretty okay and capable vector editing application. The UI and UX do take some time to get used to, but it is a real Illustrator / Designer alternative, and even has features that Affinity Designer doesn't.
  • GIMP: On the other hand, GIMP is still where it used to be 20 years ago: it's an alternative to Adobe Photoshop 1.0. GIMP is still stuck at GTK 2 I believe, so it is not really developed that much anymore, so that's why it's so behind any other photo editing application like Photoshop or Affinity Photo.
  • Krita: Still missing some features, but more actively developed than GIMP, and it already is more capable than GIMP.
  • Photoshop / Illustrator: There are methods for getting both to work on Wine, although they are older versions (2018 I think).
  • Photoshop Web: It's an online version of Adobe Photoshop, available for free (as in free beer, not as in freedom). You do need an Adobe account though.
  • Photopea: Another online photo editor, also available for free (as in free beer, not as in freedom). Better compatibility with PSD formats than Affinity Photo. Pretty capable.
  • MiniPaint: Free & open-source online photo editor, quite new, so it lacks a lot of features, but still has some that GIMP lacks. Might be useful in the future.
  • Pinta: Free & open-source alternative to Paint.net.
  • Gravit Designer: vector graphics application.

That's a strange statement. You are trying to "punish" a company for not doing something you wanted it to do but which it never said it would and that expressed in many situations it wouldn't? hum...

Yea, I've accepted that Serif have chosen not to support the Linux platform (regardless of if I disagree with that choice it's theirs to make). No need to act out and try to punish them for it. I just wish they'd develop their applications in such a way that it would be truly cross platform (or at least make it work via wine)

2 minutes ago, 1stn00b said:

along with V1 software : >

I guess a lot of people will keep using V1 though, since not everyone will need the new features. And now that it the software itself won't change anymore, maybe people will get it to work better in linux? like CS6 PS or something!

V2 will need more years of development to actually become V2, atleast from what i'm seeing in the forum comments.

Since i couldn't even install it on W10 i can't confirm or infirm on what they are saying but my logic tells me that they probably dedicated the development time, since they stoped updating V1, to make Publisher for Ipad and in the last minute decided to trow out a V2 of all their software.

Fedora Workstation 39

Just now, 1stn00b said:

V2 will need more years of development to actually become V2, atleast from what i'm seeing in the forum comments.

Since i couldn't even install it on W10 i can't confirm or infirm on what they are saying but my logic tells me that they probably dedicated the development time to make Publisher for Ipad and in the last minute decided to trow out a V2 of all their software.

Can't install it on W10? :o

8 minutes ago, 1stn00b said:

Since i couldn't even install it on W10

On an up-to-date Win10 system you should be able to install it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, 1stn00b said:

Just noticed we are being archived - down to the trash bin of history - along with V1 software : >

The archived threads should remain available, so you'll be able to continue the discussions here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1