You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

4 hours ago, jaizon said:

By the way, it does recognize my graphic card, but I can't enable computer acceleration, should I set it for WARP instead ? I can't enable hardware acceleration either way, but I remember seing someone in this thread talking aout it!

It did the same thing to me. I could see my GPU listed in the tab, and it reported that what it saw as Windows 10 was up to snuff for the task, but it still wouldn't allow me to turn on hardware rendering. Right now, WARP is the only option.

20 hours ago, D’T4ils said:

@1stn00b first of all, thank you very much for taking the time to create that little guide :)

And now to the good stuff, I follow every step and the installation ran smoothly, but once I hit the play button for the installed Affinity Photo, nothing happened at all :( Which version of the installer did you use? 1.10.5 didn’t do it for me.

Maybe do a clean reinstall of Bottles either by removing it from Software Center and then go to ~/.var/app/ and manualy delete com.usebottles.bottles then reinstall or by using Terminal :  flatpak uninstall Bottles --delete-data then flatpak install Bottles

Don't forget to do a Full Backup on existent bottles u want to restore after reinstall.

Fedora Workstation 39

11 hours ago, 1stn00b said:

Maybe do a clean reinstall of Bottles either by removing it from Software Center and then go to ~/.var/app/ and manualy delete com.usebottles.bottles then reinstall or by using Terminal :  flatpak uninstall Bottles --delete-data then flatpak install Bottles

Don't forget to do a Full Backup on existent bottles u want to restore after reinstall.

Sadly that made no difference :( I even tried the new recipe you uploaded today, but the result was the same. The installations run smoothly, but nothing at all happens when I run the apps. I’m not sure if it could be because my laptop has an Nvidia graphics card or maybe because my system is running on Wayland.

You can always switch to X11 from login screen and see if it makes a difference.

Are u running latest version of Bottles ? Just do a flatpak update in terminal to be sure.

L.E. And off course i forgot the most important thing you can launch with Terminal from menu and check  the  errors you get

BottlesTerminalStart.png.b10547db731e6d313e64a3e12d9f7bbe.png 

Fedora Workstation 39

Just to test things out, I installed Photo using 1stnoob's custom recipe above, but using Bottle's brand new Soda 7.0-2 runner.

It works better than it has previously. I can now reliably open the preferences panel without crashing, and can even drag and drop images into the editor from Files like a native application. That said, the canvas is still a little flaky, and enabling the rulers on the UI, or hitting up a more process intensive live filters like lighting can cause it to crash.

Right now, I'd consider it, maybe, 60% usable. So close, but not quite there yet.

APLinux.thumb.jpg.741fe2c6a36df2b7e07eb7a2e339f3c0.jpg

On 7/16/2022 at 7:51 AM, 1stn00b said:

You can always switch to X11 from login screen and see if it makes a difference.

Are u running latest version of Bottles ? Just do a flatpak update in terminal to be sure.

L.E. And off course i forgot the most important thing you can launch with Terminal from menu and check  the  errors you get

BottlesTerminalStart.png.b10547db731e6d313e64a3e12d9f7bbe.png 

Thanks a lot for putting so much effort on trying to help me out, mate :)

After trying different things, I finally got it to work! The issue was with the Nvidia drivers I was running on. The X.Org Nouveau ones were causing the issue. Once I switched to the proprietary ones Designer as well as Photo started working, both on Intel Integrated Graphics as well as on my Nvidia GTX 1060. I experienced the sames glitches that everyone’s mentioned so far, but at least both apps are running now :)

Btw, my Nvidia card is also being recognized by Affinity’s apps:

image.png.e9ddedae1cb3b26ea7770cec01721cd9.png

A question to you all: Since we now can consistently have Photo working, what would be needed in order to solve the problems we currently have, the flickering and performance?

As far as functioning goes, I was able to load in files, including macros, just by draging and droping. Haven't tested a bunch of evects yet but even this poster in the image has mani livefilters, so it should be somewhats heavy!

image.thumb.png.5ab9b94f6f3fb57a719e62099f468026.png

One thing I've noticed later one, I can import multiple files at once, I tested it with brushe files, but I can't reorganize pannels the sticky feature doesn't work, so once I get rid of a pannel I can't dock it anymore.

Edited by jaizon
Another problem found

Very cool to see the guys running affinity on bottles.

I did what the guys recommended to get around the dotnet 3.5 error, but I can't run it at all.

Apart from that the last update didn't go down very well, the bottles used to be very fast and now it's slow!

6 hours ago, 1stn00b said:

Sorry to hear you can't test it, but i think there are other problems that need to be fixed on your system since it works for other people here.

I really do not understand. On the bottles github I found someone else with the same problem!

Now I'll wait for them to help, because they said it doesn't work, but I posted this forum, showing that it works!

Did you manage to unzip the .exe or did you do something different?
I've tried everything, using unzipped, trying to run the version already installed on windows and nothing works.

---

Another thing I noticed is that the bottles are slow in this latest update! Detail that I have good SSD, CPU and RAM!

Make sure to report your findings on WineHQ for the flickering etc. There are no reports showing it is out of garbage mode currently. So please provide your results there to do your part of helping. This way you can get the community and wine developers to start assisting with these issues. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=18332

As far as Bottles goes, from what I understand and this might be out of date information. But there is/was an issue on the Ubuntu family tree of distros that wasn't resolved when I attempted it.

Oh maaaaaan GOOD WORK! It's such a relief to not have to boot up a freakin windows install just to use affinity

Affinity Designer is working in Ubuntu 22.04 ...with nvidia GPU rendering !

Wanted to report in @1stn00b's guide here does work https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/47502-affinity-products-for-linux/page/92/#comment-940833 Thank you!!!

Although I am experiencing flickering issues as well, but hopefully we can find a workaround soon. 👀

unknown.png

4 hours ago, geenat said:

Oh maaaaaan GOOD WORK! It's such a relief to not have to boot up a freakin windows install just to use affinity

Affinity Designer is working in Ubuntu 22.04 ...with nvidia GPU rendering !

Wanted to report in @1stn00b's guide here does work https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/47502-affinity-products-for-linux/page/92/#comment-940833 Thank you!!!

Although I am experiencing flickering issues as well, but hopefully we can find a workaround soon. 👀

unknown.png

Cool, looks like bottles and this configuration is working on Pop!_OS 22.04 too. Once the flickering is sorted we'll be in good shape. I went ahead and turned in a report on WineHQ for Affinity Photo. I'm encouraging others to do the same.

Just tested Affinity installer in latest Bottles update and doesn't trow that NET 3.5 not found error. The rest is the same so still flickering and other problems we had.

So now its possible to just create a new Application bottle bulk install allfonts, dotnet40, dotnet48 from Dependencies with Caffe as runner and the installer works. Although using a Custom config is more simple since it's setting up everything 😆

BottlesUpdate.png.297243806ab4396b9c9db22f2d9b6fda.png

Fedora Workstation 39

19 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

How is the current drawing speed and performance on Linux for raster brushes? That to me is going to be a massive deal breaker once I try this myself. 

I made a 3000x3000 image, and upsized an oil brush to around 2000px. It looks like it's painting at about the same speed as it would in Windows, but the canvas goes so screwy that it's nigh unusable.

Thanks @1stn00b for the tutorial on the previous page!

-------------

Today I managed to identify my bottle problem!

Unfortunately my internet has some problem or limitation that prevents me from communicating with the bottles server!

I found this there on github(link) when trying to " ping repo.usebottles.com -c 5 " and having 100% packet loss.

Probably that's why nothing worked right, because I couldn't download the dependencies right!

I got around the problem using a VPN and done.

--------------------

It's not perfect, but it has a blinking bug, I have to find a way to install the fonts I use and how to save the edited files.

----

Now it's not long before I delete the partition with windows here!

Captura de tela de 2022-07-29 01-59-01.png

On 7/25/2022 at 1:34 AM, Kamei Kojirou said:

Cool, looks like bottles and this configuration is working on Pop!_OS 22.04 too. Once the flickering is sorted we'll be in good shape. I went ahead and turned in a report on WineHQ for Affinity Photo. I'm encouraging others to do the same.

I notice that flickering of picture is on any re-draw of canvas so it's performance of ( sothing like xyredrawcnvas() ) function that support redraw/refresh of canvas - i guess it's time too look for any .net related topic on WineHQ.

What's your Distro / System specs ? Are up to date ( flatpak update ) ? Did u reinstall Bottles after removing it completely ( flatpak uninstall --delete-data com.usebottles.bottles / flatpak install com.usebottles.bottles ) ?

I don't think this problem is related to Bottles but to something else on your system.

Fedora Workstation 39