You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

Just tested Affinity installer in latest Bottles update and doesn't trow that NET 3.5 not found error. The rest is the same so still flickering and other problems we had.

So now its possible to just create a new Application bottle bulk install allfonts, dotnet40, dotnet48 from Dependencies with Caffe as runner and the installer works. Although using a Custom config is more simple since it's setting up everything 😆

BottlesUpdate.png.297243806ab4396b9c9db22f2d9b6fda.png

Fedora Workstation 39

19 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

How is the current drawing speed and performance on Linux for raster brushes? That to me is going to be a massive deal breaker once I try this myself. 

I made a 3000x3000 image, and upsized an oil brush to around 2000px. It looks like it's painting at about the same speed as it would in Windows, but the canvas goes so screwy that it's nigh unusable.

Thanks @1stn00b for the tutorial on the previous page!

-------------

Today I managed to identify my bottle problem!

Unfortunately my internet has some problem or limitation that prevents me from communicating with the bottles server!

I found this there on github(link) when trying to " ping repo.usebottles.com -c 5 " and having 100% packet loss.

Probably that's why nothing worked right, because I couldn't download the dependencies right!

I got around the problem using a VPN and done.

--------------------

It's not perfect, but it has a blinking bug, I have to find a way to install the fonts I use and how to save the edited files.

----

Now it's not long before I delete the partition with windows here!

Captura de tela de 2022-07-29 01-59-01.png

On 7/25/2022 at 1:34 AM, Kamei Kojirou said:

Cool, looks like bottles and this configuration is working on Pop!_OS 22.04 too. Once the flickering is sorted we'll be in good shape. I went ahead and turned in a report on WineHQ for Affinity Photo. I'm encouraging others to do the same.

I notice that flickering of picture is on any re-draw of canvas so it's performance of ( sothing like xyredrawcnvas() ) function that support redraw/refresh of canvas - i guess it's time too look for any .net related topic on WineHQ.

What's your Distro / System specs ? Are up to date ( flatpak update ) ? Did u reinstall Bottles after removing it completely ( flatpak uninstall --delete-data com.usebottles.bottles / flatpak install com.usebottles.bottles ) ?

I don't think this problem is related to Bottles but to something else on your system.

Fedora Workstation 39

On 10/2/2017 at 6:21 AM, Guest said:

Can I ask why? You won't make version for Linux even despite the fact that linux popularity is higher than mac now?

It’s usually a matter of maintaining profitability with Linux’s open source nature from what I understand

Hardware:
Processor    AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor                 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB
Graphics: Nvidea 1660 8GB

Art examples: 

http://MadMaker.redbubble.com

Well i would pay again for a native version - off course if it's available as a Flatpak package so it includes every dependency - practically eliminating the usual problems u get when not everybody is running same distro or have same libraries - and it also simplify their development and bug fixing 😆

Fedora Workstation 39

Not sure if anyone at Serif will see this, but just to be clear at least for the people here right now: I downloaded Affinity Photo this week because of this thread and the promise of Linux support. I will be making the next event flier for one of the art collectives that I work for as a test.

If I can get it to work on Linux, I will buy a license.

If I can get it to work on Linux easily or there is a possibility of native support, I'll convert my entire consulting business and all of our artists to it immediately.

If there is native Linux support, I will tag it in every bit of media we post and I will include it in all of the presentations that I give here in Tokyo. (I do this with Houdini already)

None of us want another cheaper Photoshop alternative that runs on Windows. We want to be free. You're all so close to helping us get there.

Plus, hardly any of our digital artwork or experimental installations run on Windows, anyway. For artists creating at the edge of the tech that's currently available, there's a lot of code and customization and Windows just isn't an option. Mac technically could be, but what client would pay for the added expense of filling a room with that hardware? Even if the project has the extra budget, there's just no way they'd be so wasteful with it.

The future of artwork isn't happening on Mac or Windows. And as a company making tools for artists and shipping on these platforms, I think that Serif should be at least a bit worried about this. Whatever these concerns are about the Linux ecosystem or profitability there, I'd say they are outdated at best.

Anyway, no need to get distracted with any more of that. We can get back to technical details. = )

• Staff
18 minutes ago, ipso said:

and the promise of Linux support

...only in that we promise not to make a Linux specific version.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

...only in that we promise not to make a Linux specific version.

^ Now that should be absolutely crystal clear for everyone to understand that we are not going to get a Linux version so there is no point anyone again asking for it to happen.

That said, Serif Europe staff, in particular Mark Ingram, have been very helpful with their comments and constructive suggestions in trying to get Affinity Photo to work under Wine and thank you very much for that for it is greatly appreciated.