You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

3 hours ago, Komatös said:

Hi @toxiccrack

No real Windows, no support! As Affinity programmes are developed natively for Windows, MAC and iPad, there is no support for emulated environments.

It is a complete contrast with the developers at PhotoLine who make the effort to ensure that their software works well with Wine so that Linux users are not left out.

6 hours ago, kamanderside said:

Maybe we should get Affinity for Linux crowdfunded at this point, so Serif can hire the extra peeps they'd need to port it / make it compatible with WINE or Proton.

I mean, if we're serious about wanting it to happen, we could help invest in it, yeah?   //wishful thinking

Serif have said they are not interested in Linux at this time, and also that they are not interested in Crowd Funding.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, kamanderside said:

Maybe we should get Affinity for Linux crowdfunded at this point, so Serif can hire the extra peeps they'd need to port it / make it compatible with WINE or Proton.

I mean, if we're serious about wanting it to happen, we could help invest in it, yeah?   //wishful thinking

It is already technically possible to get Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher working well on Linux...but only by using virtual machine technology like VirtualBox, VMWare, etc. but that's best done with 16GB RAM upwards. Personally, I think that is a better solution than dual booting and other views are available.

1 hour ago, Snapseed said:

It is already technically possible to get Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher working well on Linux...but only by using virtual machine technology like VirtualBox, VMWare, etc. but that's best done with 16GB RAM upwards. Personally, I think that is a better solution than dual booting and other views are available.

I have brought that up in the past. I run Windows as a VM on my intel iMac as well as M1 Max MacBook Pro, they run great. I was under the impression that VM's in Linux were not as efficient and did not run as well as they do on the Mac side of things. 

Running in an application in a Windows VM it's not running under Linux, regardless where that VM is hosted.

I don't care if an application runs under Linux natively or through Wine. Any option is fine.

If crowdfunding is an option, that makes sense to try support Wine development as long as it is not accepted by the software maker.

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

I have brought that up in the past. I run Windows as a VM on my intel iMac as well as M1 Max MacBook Pro, they run great. I was under the impression that VM's in Linux were not as efficient and did not run as well as they do on the Mac side of things. 

I don't need to use any VMs because I found Linux softwares that work well for me but it apparently runs fine:

https://itsfoss.com/install-windows-10-virtualbox-linux/

1 hour ago, msdobrescu said:

Running in an application in a Windows VM it's not running under Linux, regardless where that VM is hosted.

I don't care if an application runs under Linux natively or through Wine. Any option is fine.

If crowdfunding is an option, that makes sense to try support Wine development as long as it is not accepted by the software maker.

It is probably better to raise such matters directly with Wine and Codeweavers staff directly and see what they say because Serif Europe has so far not given any signal that they are remotely interested in such a course of action (I am willing to be corrected on this matter).

https://www.codeweavers.com

35 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

I don't need to use any VMs because I found Linux softwares that work well for me but it apparently runs fine:

https://itsfoss.com/install-windows-10-virtualbox-linux/

It is probably better to raise such matters directly with Wine and Codeweavers staff directly and see what they say because Serif Europe has so far not given any signal that they are remotely interested in such a course of action (I am willing to be corrected on this matter).

https://www.codeweavers.com

On other hand, support codewaevers can increase plugin for figma that is use in web development for develope sites and web apps UI on corporate Linux Front-end and web developers machines.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:45 PM, LondonSquirrel said:

I don't know and I'm not interested. I'm only replying because it might appear rude not to.

No, you appear rude in every single post you’ve made in this thread. The others are right, you are just being toxic and hateful toward a request that people want and you clearly don’t want. When large companies like Valve and Nvidia are supporting Linux as a desktop and gaming platform, you can pretty easily see there is in fact a market for it.

I don’t even know why you’re still posting here, the only thing I can think of is you’re a Linux user that likes using a niche OS and don’t want it to get popular like some kind of hipster… or maybe you’re just a troll who never even touched Linux in the last decade. Either one is toxic.

6 hours ago, MattyWS said:

I don’t even know why you’re still posting here,

I don't know why you are still posting here. The request has been made for Linux support. Now you keep repeating yourself. This thread was started with a huge lie about the number of desktop Linux users.

6 hours ago, MattyWS said:

No, you appear rude in every single post you’ve made in this thread.

I think you are confusing the word rude with pointing out a few realities.

10 hours ago, MattyWS said:

you are just being toxic and hateful toward a request that people want and you clearly don’t want.

Why are you constantly posting here (on the Affinity forum)? A request has been made (repeatedly - Linux users seem to have trouble finding or understanding the rules set out here), to which you have been repeatedly told that the application is not being prepared for this platform yet. And yet here you keep writing more and more posts / threads that are completely irrelevant for Affinity applications and their users !!! So who is toxic?
Why don't you discuss your Linux issues and benefits in forums that are designed for this? There you will definitely have a lot of grateful readers. Just insert a link here so that potential candidates can easily find your discussion. Thank you.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, Pšenda said:

Why are you constantly posting here (on the Affinity forum)? A request has been made (repeatedly - Linux users seem to have trouble finding or understanding the rules set out here), to which you have been repeatedly told that the application is not being prepared for this platform yet. And yet here you keep writing more and more posts / threads that are completely irrelevant for Affinity applications and their users !!! So who is toxic?
Why don't you discuss your Linux issues and benefits in forums that are designed for this? There you will definitely have a lot of grateful readers. Just insert a link here so that potential candidates can easily find your discussion. Thank you.

With respect, no one is being forced to read or to comment in this particular thread. Furthermore, it is perfectly legitimate to politely make requests for new features in the Affinity range of good products and to ask that more operating systems are covered such as Android or Linux.

This thread is also very useful because allows Linux users to share details of existing Linux software that can be used instead of the Affinity range of software. Personally, I would be quite content if the Affinity product range just ran well with Wine/CrossOver.

Anyway, one criterion of good image editors is how well they deal with astrophotography (Affinity Photo is increasingly popular in that respect, e.g. in Astronomy Now magazine and mentions online, because it does not come with an exorbitant cost or a forever rental contract) and three celestial objects are presented below that have been processed in Linux with Pixeluvo, Fotoxx and PixInsight respectively:

M31glxyPixluvo.jpg

Caldw10Fotoxx.jpg

NGC2070PixInst.jpg

The potential option of using the Affinity softwares via a virtual machine on a Linux computer has already been mentioned above in this thread and it turns out that an existing forum member, Hartmut Doering, has been able to make this solution work very well. His helpful advice is reproduced below:

"Hi,

AP has currently no maintainer for Wine, that's why it does not work flawlessly like PS in Wine. But I found a way to make it work. Instead of Wine which "emulates" Windows and needs a Maintainer who asks Serif which Libraries AP needs and puts them in the AP-Wine-emulation, I use Virtualbox.
Virtualbox is a complete Virtual Machine, I had to install Windows in it.
I found out AP worked flawlessly in Virtualbox when I give the Virtual Machine (VM) 8 GB of RAM and a separate SSD from Mint. Also, 3D Acceleration needs to be turned on. 
- The downside for some people is, you need a Windows Licence Key for this approach.
+ The upside is you have for example a super sturdy Mint Workstation, and Windows runs controlled inside it, with drag and drop and all the good stuff.
+ Also, you can snapshot the VM, so when I start it, it does not boot Windows and such. It just opens a Window with the Windows 8.1 Desktop and AP already open and ready to use. I just have to drag my file over in AP, hit fullscreen and get stuff done.
+ All these, Windows-Registry stability problems or updates that interfere with my schedule are gone.
+ Also, I can use 8.1 far beyond its support cycle because I can manage what access to the Internet I allow the VM specifically."

AffinityInVM.jpg

On 6/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, Pšenda said:

I disagree with a couple of your points. This is a topic about affinity photo potentially being for linux so of course people will talk about it the topic. It's not toxic to keep on-topic. It's far more toxic to go into someones request thread and say how they don't want the request because it's not relevant to them. I'd be like me going into a thread about mac support and saying "barely anyone uses mac, Serif shouldn't waste their money on supporting you, all their money should be used to develop their products on windows where I use affinity suite". Kinda silly to do this, right? If you aren't interested in a request the best thing to do is to just not comment and the literal worst thing you can do is trash the request *because* it's not relevant to you, which is exactly what a certain someone has been doing in here.

To your other point, why don't we discuss the linux/affinity topic on linux forums? What would that achieve really? We'd be having the same conversation but with more linux users and no affinity devs eyes on it. We *want* Serif to see this topic, we want a discussion on why this would be a good request. There's really no harm in anyone continuing this discussion. Though like I said I'm under no illusion Serif will act on any of this so even though I own the affinity suite on Windows and iPadOS, I can't use the windows version anymore. Sad times, as affinity designer would also be an amazing addition to linux (I use designer way more than I use photo).

Anyways if not Serif, I hope at least one company prevails and does the correct thing in supporting all three main desktop OS's. There maybe less stats on who uses linux since by it's very nature, linux distros tend not to collect data on it's users. I imagine there are a lot more than the stats are suggesting, especially when you consider entire cities and country governments are switching to linux and the largest games distributor is banking on linux so it's certainly becoming more the norm these days, even if its mostly governments switching en masse for the moment (I think governments being on linux will only help normalize it). I'll try not to get too political but countries like Russia being sanctioned and unable to acquire windowsOS or macs is also a sure reason for software devs to start supporting the OS people can actually use freely, which is why I happen to use Linux now even as a professional game developer. I've found it a positive experience so far, basically all the software I need is supported. Houdini, Unity, Unreal, Blender, World machine, Substance Suite.. I'm all good on linux apart from a decent photo/vector editor, which I *can* live without even if I don't want to. :P

If you disagree with my points here I'd love to engage in a constructive discussion as to why. :) Obviously not everyone uses linux but I feel like the "I don't use it so it's a waste of devs money to support it" is a non-argument and non-constructive to this discussion.

5 hours ago, MattyWS said:

Anyways if not Serif, I hope at least one company prevails and does the correct thing in supporting all three main desktop OS's.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, and I hope that eventually they do release a Linux version. I just don't think the time is right.

I'm not sure about doing the "correct" thing as the proper terminology here. It makes it sound as though Serif have some sort of moral obligation to support Linux when they don't. There are two correct courses of action for any company: The one which gives the greatest benefit or the one which does the least harm. Up to now Serif have said they have no interest in a Linux version and I assume that is a sound business decision rather than some kind of arbitrary dislike for the OS.

The thread is kind of winding down a bit, and there has been a lot of off topic, and sometimes quite rude comments; from both sides. Serif have been remarkably patient, there aren't many companies that would put up with users actively promoting the products of competitors on their forums yet this is exactly what we've seen. In the UK we would consider that bad-form.

Serif are not Google, or Valve or a Government body. They are a small company with 200 odd employees (that's about 200 employees, not 200 employees that are odd!) Valve are currently cash rich if their latest financials are to be believed so can throw money at a project, if it fails they can just walk away. Their core demographic is gamers who are notoriously fickle about hardware and software (prepare to see a mass exodus to Linux if they think they can get an extra couple of FPS, and then back again when Microsoft brings out the next must-have feature for gaming on Windows).

3 minutes ago, GuernseyMan said:

I agree with a lot of what you've said, and I hope that eventually they do release a Linux version. I just don't think the time is right.

I'm not sure about doing the "correct" thing as the proper terminology here. It makes it sound as though Serif have some sort of moral obligation to support Linux when they don't. There are two correct courses of action for any company: The one which gives the greatest benefit or the one which does the least harm. Up to now Serif have said they have no interest in a Linux version and I assume that is a sound business decision rather than some kind of arbitrary dislike for the OS.

The thread is kind of winding down a bit, and there has been a lot of off topic, and sometimes quite rude comments; from both sides. Serif have been remarkably patient, there aren't many companies that would put up with users actively promoting the products of competitors on their forums yet this is exactly what we've seen. In the UK we would consider that bad-form.

Serif are not Google, or Valve or a Government body. They are a small company with 200 odd employees (that's about 200 employees, not 200 employees that are odd!) Valve are currently cash rich if their latest financials are to be believed so can throw money at a project, if it fails they can just walk away. Their core demographic is gamers who are notoriously fickle about hardware and software (prepare to see a mass exodus to Linux if they think they can get an extra couple of FPS, and then back again when Microsoft brings out the next must-have feature for gaming on Windows).

These are fair points. When I say "correct" what I mean is a project from the start would be coded to be as agnostic as possible which they've done to an extent. And yes other companies have major cash income to be able to throw at a project like SteamOS, however you'd think they wouldn't have done that if they thought linux wasn't a worth while endeavour.

As for promoting other products, I don't know, people here are really suggesting different products that are on Linux so it's really not competing with Affinity if they have no intentions of coming to the platform but yes, it's bad form. I for one am not trying to drive anyone away from affinity. Affinity suite is barely used by the masses and I believe it to be the better option going forward instead of photoshop (much like I feel linux is the better platform going forward) so I'd only ever recommend Affinity unless people uise Linux. I say it's a shame because the paring of Affinity Suite and Linux would be a power play on Serifs part. :D

5 hours ago, GuernseyMan said:

1. Personally, l would regard good Wine/Crossover capability as catering for Linux users. For example, PhotoScape is Windows only but their developers make the effort to make it Wine compatible so much so that the Snap version could easily be mistaken for a native Linux version.

2. I do recommend and suggest the Affinity range of products to people using Windows and macOS because they are good and they are are reasonably priced so making them really good value for money. Since there are no Linux or Wine-compatible versions of the Affinity softwares, I think it is fair to mention alternatives that are already out there because those products are not direct competitors with Affinity products precisely because Serif Europe does not yet make Linux or Wine compatible versions of their softwares.

3. If anyone is reading this thread who uses macOS or Windows but currently does not use Affinity products then l strongly recommend that you check them out starting with the videos below:

Do you know that the vfx industry is using Linux as their main platform? Because of this they have a separate machine to run software that doesn't run on Linux. And thanks to Adobe's acquisition of Allegorithmic now they have to pay extra dollars to get the linux version of the Substance software (3D Texturing Tool). Just my 2 cents about Linux not being a viable market.

I do, and I would hazard a guess that Serif do as well; being as they are in the business. If they have a separate machine to run software that doesn't run on Linux then they can obviously run the Affinity applications on that machine, should it be a valid part of their workflow. This is a good example of an industry running the software that they need whilst being agnostic to the OS.

The problem with this is that if this industry as a whole uses, say, 500 licenses and Serif make them available on Linux they will just move to Linux when they need a new license. That's no additional sales for Serif. When v2 comes around Serif will be selling Linux licenses rather than Windows/Mac rather than in addition to.

At the risk of repeating myself, Serif know their market and will act accordingly. They will only move to Linux when it is clear that not being in the Linux market will affect their sales. They have information which we don't about their demographics, based on proper market research.

It has stopped being a thread about Affinity products on Linux and just become a general evangelise about Linux. You don't need to convince me, I use Linux, but my workflow includes Linux and Windows (whatever works on each) as I consider the OS to be immaterial. I spend my time using software not mucking about with OS settings.

27 minutes ago, komahime said:

Do you know that the vfx industry is using Linux as their main platform? Because of this they have a separate machine to run software that doesn't run on Linux. And thanks to Adobe's acquisition of Allegorithmic now they have to pay extra dollars to get the linux version of the Substance software (3D Texturing Tool). Just my 2 cents about Linux not being a viable market.

8 hours ago, komahime said:

part of the reason I use linux actually is that Blender runs faster (by a substantial amount) and Houdini+blender is part of my vfx workflow. As I do videogame VFX I'm not in need of adobe products to do any of my VFX thankfully, which is also part of the reason I can use Linux as it doesn't have a massive impact on me that adobe chooses not to support this platform.

I wouldn't say it's not a viable market though, if anything I would much rather have just one OS to rule them all. Surely it says something that VFX peeps use linux and windows... if windows were that one OS to rule them all then they wouldn't use linux in the first place. 

As Guernseyman pointed out though Linux is not without flaws and you can sometimes go down a rabbit hole of endless tinkering (which is nice that you can, but annoying that you sometimes have to). Some distros are made to just work out of the box like ZorinOS, which is stable, polished and comes with a bunch of bloat applications out of the box so you can just get started. I had to distro hop for a year to figure out which distro I wanted to stick with and that can be a problem in that its confusing and not straight forward as a platform off the bat, however since all distros can kinda do the same things it's a non issue once you realise. For example you could install endeavour, zorin, pop, fedora, manjaro etc etc etc and they all have that same version of discord, blender and other applications that work on all distros. Once I kinda felt this to be the case I could settle on one and get work done just like Windows and Mac. No need for that endless tinkering. ^^

I think once people pass that mental hurdle that linux is just endless tinkering and distro hopping and realise it's just another set of OS's that do the same things it becomes clear that Linux can compete just fine with Windows and Mac as a marketplace for consumers, hobbyists and professionals. :)

Anyways what OS isn't without problems... you have to use commandline just to uninstall a browser on Windows which I wouldn't call very user friendly/simple and MacOS almost suffers from the same problem linux does, a lack of software support (granted, it's better on Mac but it's still an issue compared to windows which runs everything) and fewer users than windows by far.