You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

40 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

The customers are just not there. Not anywhere near enough. Companies that have tried have been bitten. Corel, WordPerfect, Borland, ...

To be fair, when they made the attempt, Linux was still fairly janky, and required a degree in computer science to install.

45 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

The customers are just not there. Not anywhere near enough. Companies that have tried have been bitten. Corel, WordPerfect, Borland, ...

Linux's place is on the server. On the desktop it is insignificant.

To be fair, Corel's AfterShot is still available for Linux

3 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Linux's place is on the server. On the desktop it is insignificant.

I have to ask this. Do you do anything other than malignant, toxic negativity? After all, you are not obliged or required by law to post in this thread.

1 hour ago, Renzatic said:

Why they can't just provide an .rpm or .flatpak is beyond me. Hell, that's what the Substance Suite does. You can install it in just two clicks.

To be fair, Corel does provide both .deb and .rpm files for AfterShot Pro 3. Go to the link below, click on the green Download Trial bar and the files will appear.

https://www.aftershotpro.com/en/free-trials/

I have successfully used Alien in the past to convert between .deb/.rpm files and it worked just fine.

I have also used AfterShot Pro and I think it's a very good alternative to Adobe's perma-rental Lightroom. I should add that we have plenty of choice on Linux when it comes to RAW editing/cataloguing software including, but not limited to, LightZone, Darktable, RawTherapee, ART, etc.

AfterSP3.jpg

7 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Neither are you.

This thread started out almost 5 years ago with false information about the number of Linux users. Nothing has changed in those 5 years. Linux is still where it was.

Actually we came here to ask for a Linux version. It's our right to ask. You are here just to discourage those people. Linux has advanced in those 5 years, although it was just reliable then as it is now. You may say what you want, this won't change the facts.

A question: why nVidia open-sourced its drivers? Try imagine the implications of this.

Well, let's stop making allegations. For instance, I don't buy the argument that claims Affinty would put at risk its current customers while making Linux versions while ignoring the Windows/Apple/Android implementations. I'd give more credit to Affinity. If you don't trust they are serious about tit, why buying their products? Let's stick with our OS of choice. As Linux users we didn't come here saying "Stop making Windows (or whatever OS) apps!". I think nobody would risk his living for an OS. We can use Linux reliably and this won't change until we decide to. It's also obvious that we are proficient with Linux, so there is no need to explain us it's not (well... there were rather statements than proofs, but as long as we use Linux, we know the issues and how to circumvent them).

Sorry if I've upset somebody.

3 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

question: why nVidia open-sourced its drivers? Try imagine the implications of this.

My guess would be because they want Linux users to buy nVidia hardware instead of their competitors’ hardware. The implications, I’d imagine, are that hardware vendors have completely different marketing priorities than software vendors.

As in, open-source your drivers, sell more hardware. Open-source your software, make potentially no living.

Perhaps had Linus not fallen for Richard Stallman’s ideology and changed the name from Linux to GNU/Linux, commercial software vendors would not have to worry about accepting the current or any future version of the license, while having no say on what that future version might demand of them, they might be much more accepting of Linux.

Just my analysis as a psychologist.

1 hour ago, AdamStanislav said:

Perhaps had Linus not fallen for Richard Stallman’s ideology and changed the name from Linux to GNU/Linux, commercial software vendors would not have to worry about accepting the current or any future version of the license, while having no say on what that future version might demand of them, they might be much more accepting of Linux.

Commercial software on Linux doesn't risk running afoul of the GPL. So long as no one take any open sourced code licensed under such to use in their software, the two can pretty much exist side by side.

23 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

Commercial software on Linux doesn't risk running afoul of the GPL.

I did not say it did. Or that it did not. I simply pointed out why a commercial software publisher may be worried about what might happen in the future. Since GNU licensing has never been decided by courts (at least not as far as I am aware), such a publisher, especially a relatively small one, might even worry about the remotest possibility of simply being sued, which can be a very costly headache.

When the entire system’s name is preceded by GNU/ (as in GNU/Linux) where the entire GNU ideology was created by a person who expressed the opinion that all software should be free, a small business might worry about getting involved.

Particularly so, when you read rumors (and psychologically it does not matter whether they are true) of someone demanding that the original creator of some software (I do not remember the details, that is why I am treating it as a rumor) release any changes to his own code after he released it originally under the GNU license. That despite the theory that the original creator can release his software under several licenses because he is not the licensee but the licensor.

So reasons why a business may decide to or not to support GNU/Linux (or any other system) may not necessarily have anything to do with how good or bad, or how easy or hard to use the OS is, or with the strict legal state of its licensing model, or with how easy or difficult it is to port the software to the OS.

5 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

My guess would be because they want Linux users to buy nVidia hardware instead of their competitors’ hardware. The implications, I’d imagine, are that hardware vendors have completely different marketing priorities than software vendors.

As in, open-source your drivers, sell more hardware. Open-source your software, make potentially no living.

On one hand, nVidia has a large market, although it dropped during COVID times. Would this "tiny" Linux community be a changer?

As user, I don't own ATI video cards, nor use Intel's (I have two CPU's with them, but they look "washed"). I've never had issues to use the proprietary drivers as I have no ideology regarding that. Discussing with users over time, regardless the OS, they've preferred Ryzen + nVidia card for performance.

Valve does a very good job, but still, I've met big expensive games that have issues on nVidia cards. Perhaps the goal is to cover that market too.

Now, energy costs may force people to move to GPU integrated in CPU solutions. Open sourced drivers can't change that.

nVidia had to create LHR cards so gamer can have access to them, so I am not concerned about the sells.

6 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

Just my analysis as a psychologist.

Well, some software creators need you services. Or you can help us understand them too, especially when they meter us heavily even when we pay a lot for their licenses, willing to know what we eat or dream outside their products domains. And doing that all the time by consuming our resources, on our power, our money. I'm just curious. Why some software company treat us like children and push features that are impossible to disable/drop or come back again and again if we remove them, things that may embarrass us in front of our customers, like starting Xbox streaming during business meetings out of the blue? Would you do that for us, please?

16 hours ago, msdobrescu said:

Well, let's stop making allegations. For instance, I don't buy the argument that claims Affinty would put at risk its current customers while making Linux versions while ignoring the Windows/Apple/Android implementations. I'd give more credit to Affinity. If you don't trust they are serious about tit, why buying their products? Let's stick with our OS of choice. As Linux users we didn't come here saying "Stop making Windows (or whatever OS) apps!". I think nobody would risk his living for an OS. We can use Linux reliably and this won't change until we decide to. It's also obvious that we are proficient with Linux, so there is no need to explain us it's not (well... there were rather statements than proofs, but as long as we use Linux, we know the issues and how to circumvent them).

Sorry if I've upset somebody.

My own view has always been "Use the operating system that works best for you" whether that is Windows, macOS, Linux or BSD and there will always be idiosyncrasies, faults and mismanagements with all four of those operating systems at one time or another.

In my case, I chose Linux because I wanted a stable and secure operating system but I knew that came with a reduced set of software (the same applies to BSD) compared with Windows and macOS. That said, I have been able to find alternatives for everything I used under Windows. For example, I now use a combination of Softmaker Office and the free online version of Microsoft Office and no one can tell that I am not using 100% Microsoft products.

Some broad alternatives to Adobe Illustrator/Affinity Designer are listed below:

Inkscape

https://inkscape.org/

Gravit Designer

https://www.designer.io/en/

Vectr

https://vectr.com/

Figma

https://www.figma.com/

https://github.com/Figma-Linux/figma-linux

Canva

https://www.canva.com

My design needs are modest so I can get away with using Canva but if I needed more than that, I would use Gravit:

gravit.jpg

11 hours ago, AdamStanislav said:

I did not say it did. Or that it did not. I simply pointed out why a commercial software publisher may be worried about what might happen in the future. Since GNU licensing has never been decided by courts (at least not as far as I am aware), such a publisher, especially a relatively small one, might even worry about the remotest possibility of simply being sued, which can be a very costly headache.

It's possible that the unexplored potentialities of the GPL might scare away a few developers, though generally speaking, it's not much of a concern. Proprietary software isn't exactly rare on Linux, open sourced software and APIs are common on proprietary platforms, and lawsuits are pretty few and far between.

If we go by history, the only time the Software Freedom Conservancy goes after someone is when they directly alter GPLed code for their own use, and release it commercially without offering up said altered code for free download on request.

Guys... you know what...

I just realized that the Affinity Suite doesn't have Non-Destructive Envelope Warp.... ENVELOPE WARP!!!! BASIC!!!!!! They've been asking for it since 2015, and they said it was on the road map, but they haven't implemented it... And many people have been asking and waiting for it.

This makes me realise... if they haven't even included this very basic essential feature... TO HELL with a "Linux" version.

I threw in the towel... I just had to install Affinity on a Windows.... It was a sad day... but in some ways... inevitable...

If they so happen to release a Linux Version... I'll be there... but I'm not holding my breathe for it anymore.... :57_cry:

21 minutes ago, Framelynx said:

Guys... you know what...

I just realized that the Affinity Suite doesn't have Non-Destructive Envelope Warp.... ENVELOPE WARP!!!! BASIC!!!!!! They've been asking for it since 2015, and they said it was on the road map, but they haven't implemented it... And many people have been asking and waiting for it.

This makes me realise... if they haven't even included this very basic essential feature... TO HELL with a "Linux" version.

I threw in the towel... I just had to install Affinity on a Windows.... It was a sad day... but in some ways... inevitable...

If they so happen to release a Linux Version... I'll be there... but I'm not holding my breathe for it anymore.... :57_cry:

I agree that it would be nice to have a Linux version of the Affinity softwares, or at least versions that ran well with Wine.

That said, on Linux an equivalent professional range of products is still possible with, for example, Gravit, PhotoLine + Wine and VivaDesigner.

Hi, after a lot of fiddling around, i -almost- got affinity photo 1.10 running. I'm on Linux Mint 20, used Lutris and the Affinity Designer 1.7.3 install script, but choosed the affinity photo setup file. It installs without any problems.

After starting the program, the window is black, except the elements the mouse cursor focuses. I added some screenshots to show the problem. So theoretically the program itself could work, it just has a rendering issue.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Hi @toxiccrack

No real Windows, no support! As Affinity programmes are developed natively for Windows, MAC and iPad, there is no support for emulated environments.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!