You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

On 3/11/2022 at 2:08 PM, LondonSquirrel said:

... is that the Linux desktop market share is not worth time/money developing for.

Look on office 365 - they have web version so it's not Linux desktop version issue - but rather make work despite which platform is using for run the product.
This unlocking possibility to reach Home Use on Linux Dekstop and have big impact of Corporations Linux Workstations.

14 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

A web version, as indeed you write, is not a Linux version.

Yes and no - because -  it's version that support run on Linux 🙂 through browser like Chrome, Firefox, etc. 
@ this point make Web version by compile with https://emscripten.org/ toolchain to WASM solve this problem - 
This can be a new source of profit by consume for example the Saas Model.   

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Renzatic said:

Is this...how it ends? Not with a bang, but with silence? The only sound being the pat-pat-patter of quiet tears we shed in 

We are more likely to see Android support before Linux support. And so far Serif isn't even interested in that. Most of us voted on WineHQ for support because that path at this point looks to be much more likely. 

On 5/17/2022 at 2:05 AM, Kamei Kojirou said:

We are more likely to see Android support before Linux support. And so far Serif isn't even interested in that. Most of us voted on WineHQ for support because that path at this point looks to be much more likely. 

I am looking forward to Linux version but indeed Android devices are much more popular than iPAD's. Probably Serif has some agreement and extra funds for doing software for specific systems.

On 5/17/2022 at 3:05 AM, Kamei Kojirou said:

We are more likely to see Android support before Linux support.

I'm quite prepared to be told that I'm completely wrong, but, as I understand it, Android devices are mainly smart phones and tablets. I just wonder how many people are going to want to do serious page layout, photo editing or design work on such small devices? Surely people using these devices are more likely to want simple, one click solutions, rather than trying to use full blown apps like the Affinity trio. The important thing is not how many people use a particular device, or operating system, but how many of those people are likely to want to buy the apps!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 5/18/2022 at 8:25 AM, PaulEC said:

I'm quite prepared to be told that I'm completely wrong, but, as I understand it, Android devices are mainly smart phones and tablets. I just wonder how many people are going to want to do serious page layout, photo editing or design work on such small devices? Surely people using these devices are more likely to want simple, one click solutions, rather than trying to use full blown apps like the Affinity trio. The important thing is not how many people use a particular device, or operating system, but how many of those people are likely to want to buy the apps!

So, I‘ve got Affinity on my Mac and my iPad, and if I were to do ‘serious’ editing, I would only do it on my Mac. I think the whole Android route is a blind alley. I guess I am also saying why do Serif prefer iPad over Linux? Must be sheer weight of numbers. And that’s it. 

The vast majority of my friends, anecdotally, who have Macs also have iPads (a number of my Windows using friends also have iPads). Once you've bought into the Apple ecosystem you may as well continue. I would think that anyone who buys Affinity products for Mac will simply buy a copy for iPad, maybe not to do serious work but certainly to be "cool".

I don't see that same kind of loyalty with Android devices so there probably wouldn't be the cross selling opportunity.

And yes, its weight of numbers which means that Serif prioritises iPad over Linux. I'm on quite a few software forums and they all have a thread like this one. What it all boils down to is that it's not worth supporting Linux; the money just isn't there.

12 hours ago, GuernseyMan said:

What it all boils down to is that it's not worth supporting Linux; the money just isn't there.

The money solutions is write ✍️ for Steam Os and put in on their store.

Here is link to guide for port app to Steam Os with set of recommended tools https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/application/platforms/linux

But why, that's the question. What money could there possibly be from this?

If Serif have any business sense, and I would suggest that they have, they will go after the largest market segment they can: Adobe users.

How many Adobe products are on Steam? How many Adobe users run Linux? You might be able to get Adobe CS working on Linux but it won't be supported. If it's not supported then it won't be used for production in any professional company.

Why would Serif support a gaming platform, which isn't their core demographic, so that they can target the 1.4% of gamers on that platform which run Linux?

I enjoy using Linux as much as the next person but the reality is that without market share software houses won't write, or port, software to Linux.

2 hours ago, GuernseyMan said:

But why, that's the question. What money could there possibly be from this?

If Serif have any business sense, and I would suggest that they have, they will go after the largest market segment they can: Adobe users.

How many Adobe products are on Steam? How many Adobe users run Linux? You might be able to get Adobe CS working on Linux but it won't be supported. If it's not supported then it won't be used for production in any professional company.

Why would Serif support a gaming platform, which isn't their core demographic, so that they can target the 1.4% of gamers on that platform which run Linux?

I enjoy using Linux as much as the next person but the reality is that without market share software houses won't write, or port, software to Linux.

Pixeluvo is on Steam and it's an excellent, modern photo editor (a Photoshop Elements equivalent) for Windows and Linux.

Links:

http://www.pixeluvo.com/downloads/pixeluvo_1.6.0-2_amd64.deb

http://www.pixeluvo.com/downloads/pixeluvo-1.6.0-2.x86_64.rpm

http://www.pixeluvo.com/buynow/

The 30 day trial version is limited to saving files no larger than 800×600 pixels. It has an excellent, easy to navigate UI and Gimp could learn a lot from it.

pixeluvo-image-editor-ubuntu-linux-1.jpg

30 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Good. Now to the most important question... did you buy this excellent, modern photo editor?

My answers are these:

1. I paid for the full licence for Pixeluvo because it is so good. Indeed, I regard it as the best general Linux photo editor that is currently available.

2. I have been able to completely banish Gimp from my computer and it will never return. While useful progress has been made in recent years, it is still not yet up to the usability level of Photoshop, etc although the PhotoGimp plugin might help some people.

3. Here is an example of the excellent work that this photo editor can do:

4. I do recommend Affinity Photo to Windows and macOS users because l have seen what Affinity Photo can do plus there's no permanent subscription as there is with Abobe Photoshop. I should add that Pixeluvo for Linux is not in any way a competitor for Affinity Photo precisely because Serif Europe does not offer any products for Linux.

9 hours ago, Snapseed said:

I paid for the full licence for Pixeluvo because it is so good. Indeed, I regard it as the best general Linux photo editor that is currently available.

ice_screenshot_20220524-093000.png

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

10 hours ago, Snapseed said:

Pixeluvo is on Steam and it's an excellent, modern photo editor (a Photoshop Elements equivalent) for Windows and Linux.

Links:

http://www.pixeluvo.com/downloads/pixeluvo_1.6.0-2_amd64.deb

http://www.pixeluvo.com/downloads/pixeluvo-1.6.0-2.x86_64.rpm

http://www.pixeluvo.com/buynow/

The 30 day trial version is limited to saving files no larger than 800×600 pixels. It has an excellent, easy to navigate UI and Gimp could learn a lot from it.

pixeluvo-image-editor-ubuntu-linux-1.jpg

Confirm the pixeluvo - it's work.

8 hours ago, IanSG said:

According to Pixeluvo's website there isn't a Linux version!

7 hours ago, PaulEC said:

ice_screenshot_20220524-093000.png

1. The direct download links from the official Pixeluvo website for the Debian/Ubuntu .deb version and the RedHat/Fedora/SUSE .rpm version as provided above are all still working so they can still be downloaded and can then paid for.

2. The reason for the temporary public withdrawal is technical. There are issues with Pixeluvo fully working well with Linux distributions where the Wayland display server protocol is set as the default.

3. Wayland* is still effectively in beta stage and so there are problems with gaming, Nvidia chip sets, Electron apps and so on. If anyone using Linux + Wayland is having any issues with Pixeluvo or other software then the options are to switch back to the Xorg display server or to enable XWayland (check the instructions on how to do this for your own installed Linux distribution).

*Since the RedHat/Fedora/Gnome interchangeable crowd currently and regrettably has too much (malign) influence over desktop Linux these days, they have been able to put out second rate crapola like Wayland that is at beta stage, that has numerous not addressed bugs and that causes significant problems for users.

This is the problem. The Windows version just runs, the Linux version means you have to jump through hoops to get it running. I use Linux but this just puts average users off and any kind of commercial deployment becomes a nightmare.

Basically the software house says, "It's not ou fault, a group of unnacountable people have made changes to some distros of Linux and broken it!"

I'd be happy to tinker around with this but a lot of people wouldn't/couldn't.

I don't like proprietary software or OSs but at least they're generally focussed and someone is accountable when it goes wrong. That's what professionals are after.