You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity products for Linux

8 hours ago, wonderings said:

Do the numbers for Linux take into account all those devices that run a version of Linux but are not really laptops or desktops? Amazon echo devices running a version of Linux, would these be counted to bring up the total numbers or are they able to differentiate? If not then I have 7 Linux devices running in my house daily 

No the numbers are the desktop market share (the link I shared at least). If you wanted to count everything that's not a desktop device it'd be unfair because the vast majority from servers and smart phones to smart devices in the home would be Linux. xD

8 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

No. Your argument is a fallacy. I have never said there are no Linux users. I have said that I have never seen a Linux user in a coffee shop. As I go to a coffee shop > 3 times a week I would expect by now to see at least 1.

I've seen Linux users (other than me) in coffee shops in Sheffield, Manchester, and Madrid.

Your local coffee shop(s) is not a significant sample size.

(Also, if we're basing numbers off coffee shops, I'm positive we'd over estimate the number of Mac users in the world)

9 hours ago, Bez Bezson said:

I've seen Linux users (other than me) in coffee shops in Sheffield, Manchester, and Madrid.

All university cities, and we all know that university students are too poverty stricken to buy software and therefore producing Linux versions wouldn't be commercialy viable. 😉

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• 2 weeks later...

I freshly switch from windows to Linux. I miss nothing but my affinity programs..

I read about 500.000€ serif needs to build a Linux version, where is the button to pledge? Only money makes decisions for directions, right?

Why here goes all with market share, Linux devices and so on, it will not change the goal of getting affinitys to Linux if suddenly one person is in right. Money has a much stronger word.

We have now 2022, I found a post from 2014, something must be done or it will never happen

On 3/7/2022 at 6:19 PM, Anon172 said:

I tried with the newest Wine tkg version (Wine-Tkg-Fsync 7.3) and I can install now Affinity Designer. I can also start it, but it infinitely loads. Something is with the graphics or window (manager)

I had this a while before actually when I tried getting it to work with wine. It looked extremely hopeful when everything from the installer to the download folder and shortcut worked correctly, but launching it never worked. You would see the splash screen and nothing else.

So in other news I'm seeing that Adobe products are getting easier to get working on Linux now?

On 3/4/2022 at 10:51 AM, MattyWS said:

got photoshop cc to work on linux. It was pretty straight forward, using wine ^^

image.png

So do you have to stay using the exact version you have installed? How does it handle updates? For every update do you have to go through whatever process it took to get it working on Linux?

I just wonder now, with the advent of Win 11, if we will not start to see an increase in the Linux desktop base. 

I have a bunch of machines, that I use/support. One of which is a reasonable MSI gs73vr 6rf machine. And guess what, it does not meet the Win 11 requirements!

I am sure that I am not the only one that M$ is going to drive away. Really am not in a position to replace any of my machines and I am sure I am not unique in this regard. And with their new hardware requirements, pirated Win 11 is not really going to be a "thing" on aging machines.

For the longest time, one of the biggest impediments to migrating to Linux, was the absence of a "real CAD" package. Now with Draftsight and Ares Commander Linux is certainly more viable for me. Let's face it though, you can function on Linux with Scribus, Inkscape and GIMP/Krita. But none of them really have the UI that Affinity/Adobe have. Thus having a decent suite like Affinity following would just be awesome. 

Just my thoughts following the release of Win 11

6 hours ago, sceyefeye said:

I have a bunch of machines, that I use/support. One of which is a reasonable MSI gs73vr 6rf machine. And guess what, it does not meet the Win 11 requirements!

I am sure that I am not the only one that M$ is going to drive away. Really am not in a position to replace any of my machines and I am sure I am not unique in this regard. And with their new hardware requirements, pirated Win 11 is not really going to be a "thing" on aging machines.

I don't see Win 11 driving people away, and certainly not into the arms of Linux.  I know one person who's "upgraded", and he's monumentaly unimpressed - everyone else is ignoring it.  fwiw my guess is that MS will extend the support period for Win 10 and hope that the number of people who can't use 11 drops enough that they can be ignored.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Another pragmatic aproche to multiplatform.

Emacscipten compile code from C, C++ to WASM and run on Browser:

https://emscripten.org/

Porting

Compile your existing projects written in C or C++ — or any language that uses LLVM — to browsers, Node.js, or wasm runtimes.

In this way ported the LibreOffice:

https://www.theregister.com/2022/02/19/webassembly_port_libreoffice

4 hours ago, IanSG said:

I don't see Win 11 driving people away, and certainly not into the arms of Linux.  I know one person who's "upgraded", and he's monumentaly unimpressed - everyone else is ignoring it.  fwiw my guess is that MS will extend the support period for Win 10 and hope that the number of people who can't use 11 drops enough that they can be ignored.

The way I see things going, with Wine/Proton growing in support and compatibility, and Windows Subsystem for Linux being a thing, I see the future being fairly platform agnostic.

There's no reason to fret when Windows can run Linux apps, and Linux can run Windows apps. Just pick whichever you like best.

EXPERIENCE THE POWER OF LINUX!

Linux.thumb.jpg.8975ebbdecd75b8aa1212f02f389f4cf.jpg

Edited by Renzatic
To show the power of Linux.

11 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

There's no reason to fret when Windows can run Linux apps

The examples I have seen are totally pointless. How to run gedit on Windows with WSL. gedit... As though there are not dozens of text editors for Windows, and your life would not be complete without running gedit. Go and have a look on YouTube, search for running Linux apps on Windows. And prepare to be enthralled with videos explaining the wonders of gedit on WSL. There's no shortage of gedit videos. Open your mind to wonderful questions such as 'does WSL work well with git version control?'

To be fair there are a few other examples. Kdenlive. My response: why bother? Why not use something like DaVinci Resolve? Or any of the many cheap video editors out there? Then there's GIMP. Why not just run the Windows native version of GIMP?

What is the possible unique selling point, the absolute must have thing, of running Linux apps on Windows? In my view, nothing at all.

By all means run Linux if you want to. If you want a better Linux experience on Windows you should use a full hypervisor system.

Let's not pretend that there are any Linux apps worth having on Windows or Mac which don't have better native versions or equivalents. And please, no more gedit videos.

8 hours ago, Renzatic said:

I see the future being fairly platform agnostic.

I agree.

One argument that has been held against Linux support for the Affinity Suite, is that it's already being built for 3 platforms and supporting Linux would only hinder support, or progress on those existing platforms.

Agnostic cross-platform development has come a long way in 10 years and many modern development methodologies embrace developing once, for support under multiple platforms.

Perhaps the stronger argument is not to develop a 4th target platform for the Affinity Suite, rather re-approach the development process so there's one body of source that is platform agnostic.  Windows, OSX, Linux, even tablet, largely same source code.  The tools handle cross-compiling natively for target platforms.  I don't suggest it's a trivial task to migrate a code-base, but such a consideration could expand platform support with potentially much lower development overhead going forward.  I'm sure the dev team and such are best positioned to weigh that up though.